main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I got the Mario & Luigi 3DS XL, but its funny I haven't even played the game included with it yet...

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    This direct was released for Tomodachi Life and it looks quirky and fun. Move over Animal Crossing. Coming out June 6/7th.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Future 3DS
    Smash Bros (Oct 3, 2014)
    Pokemon: Omega Ruby (Nov 12, 2014)
    Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire (Nov 12, 2014)
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright (August 29, 2014?)
    The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy for the eshop (Winter 2014)
    Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Fall 2014

Sadly, I'm not really looking forward to any of these games.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm totally hype for the last three, as well as Smash.

But then, I'm a longtime AA and SMT fan.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm looking forward to Pokemon, PLVsPW, and the Phoenix Wright trilogy. I'm a long time Pokemon fan so I'm excited for that, and I love Phoenix Wright too. It'll be great to play the first three games in 3D (which works really well). PLvsPW has me interested. I like the idea of a mash up of puzzle and courtroom logic.

Having used the 2D I'm actually quite impressed by it. It feels comfy to hold and the screens are good too. If anyone wants a 3DS but doesn't like the 3D then the 2DS would be a good option if saving money is important.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Are you restricting that list to 2014? Because Fantasy Life and Project STEAM look pretty sweet and were probably the two biggest non-Smash 3DS titles at E3, particularly the latter.

Smash is the only title on your list I'm definitely buying (but then, ALBW is the only 3DS game I own so far so I still have an embarrassment of riches to delve into from the system's library).

I loved the first Phoenix Wright but never got a chance to play the sequels (it was the perfect game to play at work, then a year or two later they started to crack down upon us playing our DS's on the clock) and haven't had the opportunity to check out Layton yet, but the crossover between the two is intriguing.

I'm due to for a new Pokemon game this generation, but I'm going to hold off and see what version ends up being best.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You should definitely check out AA trilogy, it's literally the first three games with redone sprites and some script polishing.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Have they said if you need to play through the games in order to unlock them? Like, can I just skip over the first game that I've already played and jump into the second game?

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I suspect it'll work like the iOS port where you can just jump to each game as you see fit. Unfortunately I can't confirm that yet because it hasn't been as big with the usual importer suspects, since... well, we already played them and only nutcases like me are going to buy it all again. :p

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think you can just skip around the cases, maybe. It'll probably be close to the iOS port, as Ramza said. The original three DS games are classic, but a bit annoying to play through, since they only added more features in later releases, and there have been a lot of releases of the original three games over the years. Too bad they never released Ace Investigations 2 though, and I half wonder if Apollo Justice will be re-released anywhere. The fifth Phoenix Wright game on the eshop is still recommended too, after you've played the first four.

No wonder these games didn't show in that initial list in the Wii thread, everybody has different tastes, but I'm pretty excited about Persona Q- the trailers look quite interesting, and the potential of having both the Persona 3 and 4 casts at once sounds crazy.

I'm probably going to try to pick up all those games, as I'm interested in all of them (though not quite sure when I'll have time to play them, but Persona first-print runs usually have something nice). Also, at least most of those 3DS games are scheduled for this year. Although was there still a SMT vs. Fire Emblem game in the works? Saw it mentioned in a thread recently, but haven't heard much about it.

Wonder if they'll release many other 2DS covers. I already have a Pokemon X/Y 3DS, but the 2DS design does look pretty decent too. And looking forward to the Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright game. I heard it came out in Europe a month or two ago, so there's already a translation, never sure why there was a delay. Oh well, its only a few months, and is the last Layton game I think? Well, Layton already had six games, so that's enough, and the Phoenix Wright franchise probably still has a bit more steam left in it (a historical prequel is up next in Japan I think).

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's basically EO with Persona slapped on top of it, which is pretty awesome - even if it doesn't have Daddy.

At the Project: S.T.E.A.M. conference last night they confirmed it's on schedule, but they don't have anything to show yet. I'm pretty sure Atlus is handling most of the work so we may see something at TGS.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Updated list with more E3 announcements, also switched to ABC order

Future 3DS

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (2015)
    Fantasy Life (Oct 24, 2014)
    Final Fantasy Explorers (TBA)
    Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley (2014)
    Harvest Moon: Story of Season (Q4 2014)
    LEGO Batman 3 (Q4 2014)
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Q1 2015)
    Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Fall 2014)
    The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy for the eshop (Winter 2014)
    Pokemon Art Academy (Oct 2014)
    Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire (Nov 12, 2014)
    Pokemon: Omega Ruby (Nov 12, 2014)
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright (August 29, 2014)
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Q3 2014)
    Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (Nov 2014)
    Super Smash Bros (Oct 3, 2014)

There'll also be multiplats like Shovel Knight and Mighty No. 9.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Fantasy Life looks absolutely amazing! It'll be great to finally add a game to my 3DS library that isn't Mario, Sonic or Zelda. :)

14. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    More Harvest Moon 3DS games! Is it wrong that I really really really want a remake of Harvest Moon 64?

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, because it already happened. :p

Also Lost Valley isn't really a Harvest Moon game - though Story of Seasons is. Legal battles.

16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Technically, LEGO Batman 3 is a multiplat as well.

Also, man, lot of remakes or new entries in established franchises but no Metroid.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm hoping next year we finally get word on Metroid- they supposedly have been discussing what to do with the franchise lately, going by E3 interviews, so hopefully that's a positive sign on potential progression.

18. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    It would be nice to hear what Retro is up to. They did really well with the Metroid Prime trilogy, and we haven't heard about a new Donkey Kong Country game for a while either. So either another DKC game is in the works, or they're working on something else.

I heard Harvest Moon 2 is being released on the Virtual Console, not sure how much interest there is in those old games.

I've got to look into Fantasy Life more, so far it looks quite good and is coming out relatively soon, its nice to have an official release date for a few things.

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Actually we had a new Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze, and it was the biggest deal ever for Nintendo at the VGX.

Metroid needs to return, both in the 3D Prime universe and as a classic side-scroller.

20. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Tropical Freeze came out a month or two ago (finished the main game by now), I figure Nintendo would have started Retro on something else by now, or at least be thinking about future projects- which seems to be the stage they're at now, based on their comments.

Wonder how until Nintendo's next Direct? Gamescom is in a few months, and E3 already had plenty, but Nintendo sometimes likes to make announcements outside the normal conferences.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd expect a Direct around August or early Sept when Hyrule Warriors is out and Bayonetta 2 & Smash 3DS are on the horizon.

I don't think we'll get another DKC game from them for awhile- TF was basically all the ideas they couldn't fit into DKC Returns. They'll have been working on something else by now.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been loving the crap out of Shovel Knight on the Wii U so far that I doubled down and bought the 3DS version as well.

One of the cooler touches is that the cut scenes are not only in 3D, but even the NES-style palette swap used to simulate fades to black and fades from black are distributed over the different 3D planes, as opposed to a simple blanket effect.

Gotta love the attention to detail that went into it.

And also, holy crap, NES-style games in general can look amazing in 3D...

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a heads-up: Best Buy is doing a BOGO on certain 3DS titles (and some other hardware deals) between 7/20-7/26. Pokemon X/Y, Kirby triple Deluxe, Yoshi's New Island, Tomodachi Life, LOZ: ALBW, Bravely Default, Mario Gold, Mario Party & Disney Magical World are the titles.

I'm highly tempted to grab Kirby, Bravely Default or a Pokemon (and I gotta get around to trying TL's demo first before I even consider it), but not sure i can justify a game purchase right now, even if it is a good deal.

I seem to grab a Pokemon game every couple generations or so but never put enough time in them to really warrant the purchase (I mean, I made ok progress in Red, but only scratched the surface of Silver and Crystal- so with plenty of Pokemon still to play that I already own, probably not much reason to grab another one).

I did get a chance to play the download play Smash-like mode on Triple Deluxe from someone in the Best Buy line at Smash Fest, which was a pretty cool mode, though- so that definitely seems worth it. Plus I don't think I've ever actually owned a Kirby game other than Epic Yarn (I played the original Kirby on a friend's GB, and beat Crystal Shards on a friend's N64).

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Meet the New 3DS, not precisely the same as the old 3DS. It's slightly faster and slightly more powerful, and we should expect it to be Japan-only through at least the end of the year, if not forever. It is also backwards compatible with the DS and 3DS library, but has some New 3DS only content, like an announced Xenoblade Chronicles port for you rubes who missed it on the Wii. Apparently because of the enhanced processing power (Read: sweet, sweet money) it and some other games in the pipeline will only work on the New 3DS.

Good idea? Bad idea? Inevitable consumer confusion idea?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm a little annoyed I'll have to get a second 3DS after only having a 3DS XL for less than a year- but that's what I get for being a late buyer (on the plus side I got the Zelda version which is perfect), but I probably won't be getting that new one right away either.

I think the extra hardware power and buttons and reduced XL weight will be nice (it also basically the end of the Vita outside of Japan) but the compatibility issues will be frustrating (but not much different than the DSi). However, given how much it would cost to get a copy of Xenoblade for the Wii, buying a new 3DS to play the port is a bargain by comparison ;).

But, in the end, we're getting a better system. The head-tracking 3D tech is also impressive and might be a key feature for the evolution of overcoming the shortcomings of glassless 3D systems/TVs.

I do find it ironic that this system is being launched with a port of a game that we had to beg and plead Nintendo to release stateside (and it's sequel being a key component of Nintendo's refocus on core gamers).