main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    what's going on in here

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just lock the stupid thread already. Haven't we suffered enough?

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Tosh.

Should both genders and all races have equal rights? Not do, but should.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You don't have to read it... and no.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'know, it doesn't help that the Senate tag is the same color as the Video Game tag. I wasn't looking closely and I thought this was a Super Mario thread. :(

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Super Mario is a misogynistic symbol of the male oppressor, so no, it's not the same.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But the whole getting the princess as your reward thing from Mario was kind of what prompted the title of the original article that got this thread running to begin with :p

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Funny, I read it solely as a reference to TV tropes.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I was in a cranky mood earlier. Keep it open.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    k... thanks for the go-ahead.

Point Given likes this.
  12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    According to JWox...

[​IMG]

Point Given likes this.
  13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
  14. Wanderguard

Wanderguard Jedi Knight star 1

May 15, 2014
    MRA's are unique among advocate groups in that they aren't really an advocate group so much as a collection of emotionally damaged, insecure people feeding off of each others' bitterness. Also, they are terrible. Yeah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Yes.

16. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a very funny and enlightening audio clip on YouTube from a radio show that had this lawyer who was a serial anti-feminist (his words) call in. They were initially interested in hearing what he had to say, but quickly caught on to his hypocritical, agenda driven point of view. One of them even called him a, "special interest parody," and accurately deconstructed how this middle-aged lawyer just wanted to make it easier for himself to hit on younger women at bars.

17. Wanderguard

May 15, 2014
    Special interest parody, I like it.

The unfortunate thing is that there's potential for a men's advocacy group to be a great thing if it acknowledged that a lot of the issues men face are due to the same patriarchy that feminism tries to address. If MRAs worked in tandem with feminist groups instead of hating women, I think a lot more people would get on board, but they don't, and everyone suffers.

18. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    The problem is, people who identify as MRAs aren't really interested in the things you speak of. Those who are like that tend to identify as feminists or allies. Like everything else, MRAs are exclusively sad losers who blame women for their inability to get laid and just want to make it harder for women to refuse consent. And that goes for every single one of them.

I forgot to mention that anti-feminist lawyer actually challenged Jim Norton (one of the hosts) to a duel in Peru. Yeah . . .

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    When did this whole MRA nonsense start? Because it's really pathetic.

Mata2010 and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Wanderguard

May 15, 2014
    I don't know that I would generalize to that extent, because there are probably a few people who identify with the idea of men's advocacy who have good intentions and don't get what the community at large is about. I've not met any, but I'm sure they're out there.

21. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Why do you think that is? ;)

You're likely right, but the amount of so called rational MRAs is probably so small that it doesn't really matter when discussing the group's short comings. Kinda like NotAllMen for special interest groups. It actually reminds me of how people mention stereotypical man hating feminists. While they DO indeed exist, they're so small a minority in the feminist community that it makes little sense to mention them in any significant manner when discussing feminism as a whole.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Rational-thinking MRA's are about as likely as a non-hateful Westboro member.

23. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Pretty much. Though the article I linked to does mention how the MRAs seem to take advantage of those who are really just lonely and unable to connect with women, subsequently poisoning their minds with MRA propaganda. Instead of those lonesome fellows taking a good look at themselves, they're told to blame women for deliberately keeping them as virgins.

MRAs, Loveshies, Incels . . . They're all pretty much cut from the same cloth.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, they got one thing right.

We are deliberately keeping them virgins.

Who the hell wants to have sex with someone like that?

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's been around since second-wave feminism, with different groups agreeing with feminism and others rejecting it. But this offshoot, blatantly misogynistic, fedora-wearing movement seems to have been popularized by sites like reddit.

harpua and Adam of Nuchtern like this.