main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't really differentiate between the O-OT or various versions available on disc. The OT is the OT.

2. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    This is a fun thread. I have quite a few opinions that seem to go against the usual mainstream. First off, as seen in my sig, ROTJ is my favorite movie. I just love the entire last hour so much, with the duel and space battle and the emporer. And I love the ewoks in Jedi. The ending always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, contrasting Empire's downer ending. Now love Empire as well, and I admit its a better made movie than Jedi, but I still just like Jedi a bit more.

Other than that, I like The Old Republic MMO, which gets far, far more hate than it deserves.
    I like Mara Jade, I dunno if she's controversial or not. I've seen a lot of Mary Sue comments thrown at her, but I love that character.
    And I like the special edition dance number in Jedi better than the original.

Team Padme and Iron_lord like this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Him becoming what he is in the originals as a result of the prequels is much more interesting than choosing one or the other.

Andy Wylde and jbyrd1245 like this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For some perhaps but what irks me is we aren't shown that bridge merely two characterisations that don't mesh.

5. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    How so? Yoda's "Wars not make one great" carries so much more weight after seeing him fight in a war (a war that, like RotS' crawl states, had evil everywhere) with no chance of winning. Even when fighting Yoda and the Jedi knew that they shouldn't, but they tried to do what they could to protect and preserve the Republic, and they failed horribly.

Seeing Yoda (and Obi-Wan, too) in exile so many years later as changed men, more idealized Jedi (despite still clinging to some of the problematic old order-- they wanted Luke to kill Vader while Luke sought to redeem him) makes the transition between trilogies so much more interesting. They, and by extension Luke, represent the Jedi Order's newfound ability to adapt and rise from the ashes of its older, problematic shadow.

6. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I actually like The Phantom Menance, though I'll admit I find Jar-Jar almost unbearably ridiculous! I wish the badass Gungans who beat droids with their bare fists had more screen time and exposure than just being background characters as Jar-Jar was pratting about with droids in the foreground!

I like Attack of the Clones as well

jbyrd1245, Darth Ardyti and mes520 like this.
  7. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    You can almost picture the urinal he's standing at...

IBYM likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I wouldn't say there's a change in Yoda's character. Just because he fought with a Lightsaber doesn't mean that he was against the idea of fighting, otherwise he wouldn't have trained Jedi the way Lucas originally envisioned the character. Yoda talks about pride and vanity which comes with the notion of great warriors. Not to mention teaching the Force and using it in battle are two different things.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I have a very unpopular opinion.....I have no need or want to view the "unaltered" original trilogy. They aren't even canon anymore are they? lol. The only regret I have is changing Boba's voice in Empire. Otherwise give me the two trilogies as they are now. Hell, I'd even be open to further changes to the PT if they were ever done.

11. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I agree with you as well. In fact, I actually like better effects for the OT. There is a fan version of ANH out there, called adywan's ANH. He has made significant changes to the effects of the film, which IMO are a very nice (essential even) to ANH.

Not sure what you mean by that... All six films are canon.

12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    That Luke, Leia and Darth Vader should have remained unrelated.

That ANH is the greatest of all of the films, and that its greatness is as much attributable to what couldn't be done at the time it was made, as it is to what could.

13. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

That….that's just….so *true*. Wow. Well said.

I mean, ESB is still my favorite, but still….nice.:)

Abadacus likes this.
  14. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    The "I hate sand line" isn't terrible at all.... Seriously its not bad, its a shame it gets a lot of flack but whateves

15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

It's kind of ham-fisted, but very appropriate given Anakin's current state of mind. Like the other somewhat clunky dialogue in AotC's love scenes, it is dripping with foreshadowing. Anakin hates sand, he hates Tatooine, the planet where he grew up a slave. He never wants to go back there and, after his mother's death the films never see him return to the planet. It really was the perfect place to hide Luke from him (and Luke too would go on to hate the world, as evidenced by his no more or less eloquent "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that's farthest from").

So if you couldn't tell, I absolutely love the line, despite (or perhaps because of) it's awkward clunkiness. It's even in my signature at the moment. :p

wobbits, Andy Wylde, minnishe and 5 others like this.
  16. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's delightfully awkward.

17. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I never liked Han Solo

I think the Jabba scene is important, but really boring (until Luke goes rampage on the skiff)

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's fitting. Anakin's grown up among the Jedi and though he's interacted with female Jedi his own age, he never tried out any romantic lines or moves on them. Not just due to the Code, but for his lingering feelings for Padme. So when he does speak up, he's pretty bad at it. Compare to Han, who wasn't a Jedi and has had his share of relationships, his attempts at seducing Leia don't sound so awkward.

19. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Unpopular Opinion: The Land speeder is the least appealing speeder in Star Wars.

20. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Interesting!

Definitely the first time I heard anyone say anything like that.

However, other than land speeders, there are speeder bikes (of all kinds) and then actual living mounts (like banthas, tauntauns etc.) In matters of coolness, speeder bikes might be better, but IMO, the most comfortable speeder (and thus that to be used most of the time) would be a land speeder.

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, Luke's landspeeder is meant to be a bit banged-up and outdated anyway ("Since the XP-38 came out, they just aren’t in demand").

22. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Well yeah, but other land speeders like those below are very cool and if I were in the GFFA, I'd definitely buy one of those.

[​IMG]

Abadacus, Kato Sai and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I prefer the Gian Speeder. If I am driving about Tatooine which is full of Tuskan Raiders, I want fire power. :D

24. Master Raze Golladio

Master Raze Golladio Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2014
    I always preferred the Swoop Bikes from Shadows of the Empire on the N64.

[​IMG]

Such an awesome game. :D

25. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I wish ROTS was quite a bit longer. Like 2 1/2 to 3 hours long.