main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Wanderguard

Wanderguard Jedi Knight star 1

May 15, 2014
    Edit: Bleh, nevermind.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Sounds like the tea partiers vs the far left. With normal people in the middle just shaking their heads in confusion and sadness at the mess.

3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Curse you! Feminazi lesbian!

I really wish I could post that radio clip. Too bad the JCC is hung up on language.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's not, really.... just post a language warning.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is that unique?

1. NRA
    2. Freedomworks
    3. Americans for Prosperity
    4. Tea Party Express
    5. Moral Majority

etc

Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  6. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
  7. Wanderguard

May 15, 2014
    I would argue that it's significantly more harmful than a few of those in particular, but point conceded on some of those. It could also be noted that some of the examples you mentioned at least have the decency to, you know, advocate, even if their causes are wrong. MRAs don't advocate, they just attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Hey what is your thoughts on women joining the priesthood in Christian religions, especially Mormonism and Catholicism?

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Anyway.... why do you ask? What are your thoughts?

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I guess for religion, they have the right to exclude women. But only when teaching from a pulpit. Outside of that woman should be able to teach. Especially on a one to one basis or whilst proselytizing.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

One is a religion, the other a cult.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Eh... my thoughts about religion, in general, will cloud my answer , so I'll leave this one for somebody else to answer (I'll give a short one here, though--I believe that women are just as capable of teaching from a pulpit, and not allowing them to do so is retarded).

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Anakin Solo Revanchist PRENNTACULAR Rogue1-and-a-half

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Wanderguard

May 15, 2014
    Since my extremely conservative, southern, Protestant family is inexplicably cool with my grandmother and two of my aunts being preachers, I don't hold in high regard the idea that women shouldn't be behind the pulpit. And neither do they.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "No women priests" is more of a Catholic and Orthodox thing. Maybe a few Protestant denominations still do it? I dunno, I'm too lazy to look it up.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, a lot of Protestant churches (and a few Baptist churches) allow female priests/preachers. Of course a majority of non - Catholic Christian churches don't insist upon their priests/preachers be celibate either.

16. Wanderguard

May 15, 2014
    It's generally not an official bylaw or policy or anything in the Protestant denominations that I know of. There are certain individual churches that don't approve but it's more of a cultural thing, and thus more common in the Deep South from what I've seen.

Edit: Celibacy, in my experience, is almost unheard of amongst Protestant pastors. All the ones I've known (my ordained father included) have been married.

17. Mata2010

Mata2010 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm an Episcopalian and our current Presiding Bishop is a woman: Dr. Katharine Jefferts Schori. The Episcopal Church is like a mix of Protestantism and Catholicism. I was raised evangelical fundamentalist, but after I grew up and formed my own opinion, I found that they have such a profound lack of respect for women that it wasn't hard for me to leave. I could totally go on about that, but I'll just keep it short and sweet. ;) Glad to be a part of a church who is focused on equality.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Women should be priests dammit. Such a ****ing stupid mantra that only men can do that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    My knowledge regarding women and holding a priesthood in Mormonism comes entirely from watching all five seasons of Big Love, which actually made it incredibly compelling. Let's just say Barb was a priesthood holder as far as I was concerned by the time that show ended. I know a bit more about the Catholic situation.

I'll just say that celibacy shouldn't be a requirement for religious positions (the reasons behind that initial decision have long since faded out of importance) and gender shouldn't be an issue either.

I do know a guy who thinks women shouldn't speak from the pulpit. But I know a ton of Protestant Christians, y'all, including some extremely conservative ones and he's the only person I've ever met in these circles that thinks that. I think it's basically a done deal in most Protestant denominations as far as that being an issue. Catholicism has quite a ways to go yet on that issue, but it'll happen eventually I'm sure. And that'll be a good thing. I don't think the barriers serve any reasonable purpose anymore. My thoughts.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yes barb can hold my priesthood any day

dont worry, the mormon church is shockingly dynamic for a religious group of their size, (perhaps oweing to the structure of it being run almost like a corporation, and perhaps also oweing the the relative youth of the religion), so i sincerely believe that after a few more cycles of quorum of 12 members you'll see women holding the priesthood

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    God help me, I was more of a Nikki man. Why am I always attracted to the severely damaged, emotionally stunted ones?

22. Mata2010

Jan 2, 2013
    You know, it doesn't matter. Just because most protestants are okay with women priests does not mean they hold egalitarian views toward women. I truly believe that religious fundamentalists are the reason we have a problem with misogynists in our present society. And this is coming from a woman who was literally mind ****ed from that bullcrap until I went to college.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Unsurprisingly, I was more attracted to Snow White.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly.

And my parents are pretty liberal compared to most southeastern-US Baby Boomers, but some of the **** I was exposed to outside the home while growing up... [face_hypnotized]

Yes, religious fundamentalists are likely most of the reason we can't have nice things.

I feel bad for the liberal Christians who are assumed to believe that **** simply for saying that they are Christians, and are told by fundamentalists that they aren't "real Christians" because they do believe in equality.

25. Mata2010

Jan 2, 2013
    Raised in the bucket of the Bible belt: Tulsa, Oklahoma. Yeah, it's pathetic. So, very very pathetic. Now I call myself a liberal Christian, and yes I carry the burden that you speak of on a daily basis. Many of my friends and family have shunned me for it. But, you know what? I couldn't be more happier and psychologically sane.