main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    My BS meter broke at #1.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  2. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Jedi Knight storyline I'm going to guess. My fault for not having done that one in full yet.

That actually does sound pretty good.

MercenaryAce and darklordoftech like this.
  3. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    I call BS but I am impressed by his\hers effort.

My thoughts:
    - I would not mind an appearance changer for companions (but changing species would be against their story and BioWare would have to create many new customizable species).
    - I don't think that we will see SWTOR 2 or SWTOR engine revamp soon (if ever).
    - Big "yes" for new class stories.
    - I would be happy if one day we would get some kind of new game + where we would be able to replay class stories.
    - I would like Vitiate to return at some point (in his awesome pureblood form).
    - One the other side I am against the idea that Revan could spend rest of the game as Vitiate vessel.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    If there's any sort of future with this game's storyline, I hope that the Sith Emperor is revealed to be a fake and is taken out of the picture. What works about the TOR story is the Cold War: two equally matched powers uneasily sharing a war-torn galaxy. Some delusional psychopath no one's ever even seen in person with plans that have nothing to do with politics doesn't really work as the Sith leader. Someone like Malgus does, and I hope they bring him back.

Riv_Shiel and darklordoftech like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Earlier I quoted the scrolls the scrolls that Nadd gave Kun as saying, "Once the Dark Jedi had dominated the Sith, they threatened to subvert the very existence of the Republic. Their power was greatly feared, and the Sith were marked for extermination. (Upon getting to this point, Exar says, "Fascinating. No wonder Master Vodo didn't want to teach me about the Sith.") Persecuted for their knowledge... knowledge that was feared by lesser men... they wandered from system to system, leaving a trail of myths and legends... and the world Korriban was to be their final resting place." I noticed that the last sentence implies that Korriban had nothing to do with the Sith before the Sith genocide.

6. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Anyone else having a problem subscribing?

I mean I've bought 60 days non recurring subscription but I am still preferred in game but my account page says : "You have 59 days of subscription play time remaining".

Could someone help me and post my problem on official forums (here). I don't know why but I can't post there and as preferred I am unable to access support in game. My nick in TOR is RafSwi. Server: The Red Eclipse.

7. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    Q: How will Disney's takeover of the rights to Star Wars affect SWTOR's lore?

A: SWTOR is not canon. It is part of the extended universe. It will not be affected in anyway. The only thing that can affect SWTOR is Lucas Arts. As in Sith will not be running around on unicorn mounts.

Full "Community Cantina" in Los Angeles Q&A

So, it turns out that TOR will, indeed, be the only piece of Legends material that will continue unabated (for now). Though that does not surprise me in the slightest, it is sad that six years of work in developing an incredibly huge piece of Star Wars canon was only allowed to exist for a fraction of that time before being discarded. Sadder still that any stories that are produced from here on in won't matter in the greater context of Star Wars, which makes it feel somewhat pointless—but, then again, how that is how I feel for every piece of Star Wars EU.

No matter, I will still play because the story interests me. I do wonder, though, when EA and LucasArts decide that The Old Republic should be replaced by a third Star Wars MMO.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think TOR means more if it's not canon because if it's canon you know how things will end. If it's not canon, the player's Inquisitor has a chance of ruling the galaxy for the next 100,000 years.

Gamiel and RavagerFish like this.
  10. RavagerFish

Nov 26, 2011

Someone mentioned this earlier in some EU thread, but I think TOR, though now not beholden to the new films and new continuity moving forward, still has to maintain its continuity to the Legends timeline rather than become its own thing. So, for instance, the largely unexplored period between the Galactic War and the period of the New Sith Wars is fair game, but it still has to conform to the events of the other Legends-era EU.

...Meaning the Inquisitor can rule for a thousand years instead of a hundred thousand. :p

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oddly, I feel the same way.

If they intend to keep it going for a while (and it's still pretty young for an MMO, tbh), then they've pretty much got the liberty now to do what they want. So any story BioWare wanted to finish? They can do it, without any worry about anyone else getting in the way anymore. That could make them go ridiculous with a ton of Infinities stuff, but if they stayed loyal... maybe TOR could tie up a lot of the unanswered questions about the Rakata, Celestials, Sith Empire, Jedi origins, whatever.

The disappointing thing this does make me realise, though, is that if they are in fact still willing to release more Legends material (which TOR proves is indeed the case) then I'm now expecting they'll claim the Imperial Handbook is the same after all, despite my semi-optimism earlier today that they'd just wing it to avoid losing any sales.

Revanfan1 and RavagerFish like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    timeline videos [face_praying]

_Catherine_ and Zorrixor like this.
  13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh kriff, yeah!

I'd pay them a subscription fee just to see them use the money to finish those, to hell with anything else. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Same here, Zorrixor!

15. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    I can't say I'm surprised at that. I wouldn't see the harm in keeping it a part of the new canon since it's so far back and Disney seems hell bent on focusing only on the classic era, but I suppose they might tell some old republic era stories in the future and don't want Tor in the way.
    Or they just felt the need to nuke everything at once instead of pick and choose.

But I don't really mind... It's a role playing game, and I enjoy the chance to shape my characters and run around doing my own thing. I could care less if it's Disneyverse canon... Doesn't make it any less fun.

Although all the bugs in 2.8 are doing a good job of that... Quality control at Bioware Austin is horrid sometimes. Twenty new bugs introduced in this last patch. How do they miss these things?

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if the timeline videos were going to connect the Force Wars to the Hundred-Year Darkness. The website's descriptions of those two events sound awfully similar.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It always seemed that way, yeah.

I always wondered if BioWare just ran out of steam with those, or if they all just decided Dark Horse could make money out of it instead of "wasting" all the story potential on free vids.

18. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    "When the Timeline series was begun we weren’t entirely sure how many timelines would be needed to detail relevant backstory for The Old Republic and left ‘blank spaces’ on the Timeline that, we thought, would all be filled in with Timeline entries. Ultimately, we feel we’ve detailed all the relevant backstory required, so no more Timeline entries going back into earlier history are planned."
    That was posted on Sw Tor.com a while back. On the one hand I kinda agree, as the game doesn't really go back past the Hyperspace War in terms of backstory that I recall. On the other hand, I do wish we'd seen the rest of those timeline vids, they were awesome. At least we got DOTJ.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I remember looking at the Timeline videos and while they covered the parts relevant to SWTOR, to the Jedi Civil War and Great Hyperspace War, it might've been interesting to see them go into what's normally Star Wars prehistory, with the Rakata and the Gree and the ancient Sith and all that. Back then it seemed like they had more of an overall plan. Not so much anymore.

2.8 bugs were particularly annoying. Most of the major ones are fixed, but still, at least some of them were already present on the test server. Still not sure about the current event either.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    They couldn't afford to pay Lance Henriksen anymore.

21. RavagerFish

Nov 26, 2011

I'm still shocked that his character wasn't in-game! You would think they would include him, considering he was, really, the first character that fans of the game got to know.

22. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    True. He was, at least, a main character of the Annihilation book that came out.

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Chibi Lana Beniko!

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I thought some of you may find this entertaining. Answering "How much boob does swtor have left to show us?" (from here)

[​IMG]

How bad is the Euphoric Corellian outfit, though? The others at least reasonably look like they'd, well, sort of stay on, but that one is just... why.

Arawn_Fenn and DigitalMessiah like this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]
    I want more.