main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    I agree with Adi on this one. Luke had an incredibly short training period. It's actually one of my pet peeves of the OT -- in ESB, we see Yoda almost begging Luke not to go to Bespin because "You must complete the training." Then in ROTJ, with no additional training whatsoever, just a duel with Vader (which he lost) Luke is suddenly a fully-fledged Jedi who doesn't need one more bit of training. WTF?

But now Leia cannot be a Jedi unless she spends decades training -- to such a degree that she cannot possibly have kids? Talk about a double-standard!

Having said that, I do think there's a good chance Leia will not be a Jedi in VII. If so, they'll likely use the no-attachment rule and her love for Han as an excuse. A better excuse would be if Leia simply didn't want to be a Jedi, because she prefers politics, because being a Jedi doesn't suit her personality, or because she still has issues with being the daughter of Darth Vader (something we never got to see her deal with in the OT).

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The actual length of Luke's training with regards to what we learn in the PT about the Jedi is a plot hole. But saying that, Luke is taught all he needs to know and will only become a true Jedi after he's faced Vader again. Vader owned Luke' in ESB and just toyed with him. He wasn't ready but rushed to help his friends which Vader had counted on him doing. The bait.

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    When naive Luke escaped Vaders clutches at the end of ESB there should've been a very sizeable gap to the 3rd episode. 5 yrs at least. Solo was a trophy for Jabba and was going nowhere, so there was no need to rush. It was lazy writing and an excuse to get all the protagonists together on screen as quickly as poss to make everyone watching go "Hey!!" Did I mention that I'm not exactly enamoured with ROTJ? Lol :)

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well first Yoda was on his death bed and there was no one left to train Luke. What was he really supposed to say, "An idiot you were. Stayed here and completed the training you should have. Now your ass kicked will be." :p And second his mentors feared he would turn to the dark side but Luke proved he was strong enough to resist it. So he sort of passed that trial and learned a great deal from the encounter. It changed him and I think Yoda recognizes it. That's how I interpret it at least.

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    The ESB-ROTJ gap is supposed to be about a year, so that's at least some time for Luke to mature as a Jedi. But yeah, Luke's training in general isn't the most believable if you think too hard about it! ;)

But I agree, Leias_Left_Bun, that if Leia is a Jedi it should be because that was her choice and its what she wants. Even if she is trained, I do still think she'll be in politics since that was her first love and something taught to her by Bail. So I imagine she'd feel more loyalty towards doing that than doing what Vader did. But I do hope even if she's not a fully trained Jedi, she's at least had some training from Luke, for her own protection if nothing else.

And I really hope the no-attachment rule is just dropped. Luke didn't know about, that we know, and he needs more Jedi to rebuild the order so he should be encouraging Leia to give him little Jedi nieces and nephews!

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I understand your viewpoint. Obi Wan knew the score, that Vader and the Emperor were using Luke's feelings for his friends against him. And Luke could not fight it. Yoda pleaded but Luke decided he had to go. At this point, Yoda did not know wether Luke would return. Luke had thrown Yoda and Obi WANs plan into chaos. I just think when he managed to escape, the gap should've been longer to allow for the notion of at least 3 yrs training. But it is what it is *shrug*

7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Going by what we know Luke said to Leia in ROTJ, Leia is clearly strong in the Force. When the production crew sat down to thrash out ideas for the sequels, this would have been known. If there is a plan to recreate the Jedi Order in these movies, then it would seem inconceivable to me that someone would say, "You know, Leia is strong in the Force, but we're not going to have her use those powers at all".

Surely it's too good a possibility for them to turn up... many fans including me would be rapt to see her suddenly call a lightsabre into her hand, rather as Palps did in ROTS but this time for good, not evil. I think a 'sudden reveal' against a baddie who's not expecting her to do any such thing would work really well.:)

Mata2010, Revanfan1, Yanksfan and 3 others like this.
  8. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    That would be really cool. I'm actually in the camp that would prefer her to be a less hands-on Jedi, but this could be a really interesting scene.

VMeran, Mata2010 and CairnsTony like this.
  9. Bluefox

Bluefox Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2013
    Oh come on, we've all seen ESB/ROTJ. Leia could clearly have taken 2 weeks off work and received her Jedi knight certificate.

VMeran, Django Fett, jaqen and 3 others like this.
  10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Ha. She could hang it on the wall. Right next to her 100m swimming certificate :)

Bluefox likes this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I think it's pretty easy to put as much of a gap between TESB and ROTJ as you'd like. Nothing in the film states that only a year has passed. It also helps that both Leia and Luke look much older than just a year passed between Empire and Jedi.

Taking out any peripheral material, the timing between some of these episodes is pretty loose and can allow audience members to believe what they like.

VMeran, maychild and Jcuk like this.
  12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    ^^ this ^^

13. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Besides which, I thought that Luke's training was an unusual case. Yoda was the only still-living Jedi master and Luke was, at the time, the only padawan -- Yoda and Obi Wan wanted him to defeat the Emperor, so they probably viewed his training as an accelerated program, as it were. Also, Luke left his training early.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True - the novelization said "6 (Tatooine) months" though.

Gemma likes this.
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

That same novelization also said Leia's mother died when she was four, Owen is Obi Wan's brother, and Anakin never knew his wife was pregnant.

That's why I never count on peripheral material to flesh out any film for myself.

markdeez, VMeran, Mata2010 and 3 others like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It didn't actually provide an age for Leia when her mother was dead.

And most of those were probably exactly how Lucas imagined it - until he started writing the prequels.

17. Krelia

Krelia Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2014
    The period of time between ESB and ROTJ must have been big enough for the Empire to have time to build the second Death Star which, though incomplete, did look impressive. I doubt that even the Emperor and Vader with their forces combined would have been able to rush such a construction and make it possible to be done in only, let's say 2 or 3 months. They actually put people to build it and those couldn't use the force so the construction must have taken some time. All we can do is estimate ofc but I'd still say a few months at least. If Luke was a very dedicated Jedi and really wanted to become better, I suppose he had enough time during this period to train and improve.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, more recent EU works portray the DS2 as already more than half complete a few weeks after ANH.

Strongly hinting that the Empire started building it before the DS1 was destroyed.

Of course, that's the EU. Still - it's a way of taking into account that the DS1 took about 20 years to complete and the DS2 is over half complete when seen in ROTJ.

19. Krelia

Krelia Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2014
    Good point. After reading your reply I also realised that since ESB comes after ANH they must have surely started building a second Death Star right after the first was destroyed which means it was probably being built during the events of ESB.

VMeran likes this.
  20. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Something that huge can be built in a couple of years? That sounds ridiculous, even with Star Wars technology. The Rebels first had to discover that a second Death Star was even being built, who knows when it started production.

I imagine both were being built at the same time. The second Death Star is less complete because it is bigger.

21. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I was always under the impression it was 1 Years between Empire and Jedi and that Han was frozen for that year. A year makes sense cause I would think it would take years to construct the Death Star.

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke went back to Tatooine and to Obi-Wan's home where he found a guide to complete his training, although now not canon but what else makes any sense for Luke? To be able to have such power when he enters Jabba's Palace from the little had after facing Vader on Cloud City. By the same estimate as it took Luke to become a Jedi Knight it should take Leia less as she should've had less distractions. Both have such a natural connection with the Force that the length of time they'd need to study and train would be far less than any of their students.

23. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    ^^^^

What you just said Django is why Luke is "THE ONE" now and that power was transfered from Anakin to his only son. Luke was litterally able to complete his trainning without Yoda during that Year after "Empire". He basically was a natural. But he wasn't good enough to beat the Emperor. So Leia by defualt is also more powerful than she probably even realizes.

T-R-, Yanksfan and Django Fett like this.
  24. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Agree. Leia's also able to tap into the Force and sense Luke with zero training at all. She's also a proven natural.

Gemma, Revanfan1, VMeran and 2 others like this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Anakin was strong in the force and showing extreme abilities even as a little boy slave.

Obviously these people are absurdly, naturally gifted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.