main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Combat Evolved: The Halo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BISMARCK, May 21, 2002.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And...all original multiplayer suites for both Combat Evolved and Halo 2 will be packed in, in 1080P/60fps.

I shouldn't want this. I KNOW I shoouldn't want this.

Sometimes I hate being a Halo fanboy. :_|

Draconarius and TX-20 like this.
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    This is no different than buying the Star Wars films every few years to get the latest bells and whistles.

3. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Which I don't, to be perfectly honest. I only own the original DVD's and if for some reason I lose them, well, that'll be that. Which is my problem with this collection. As much as I like what this package offers, I'd be buying games I already own all over again as well as a $400 toy I don't particularly want. Franchise fatigue is another issue, particularly after Halo 4 failed to impress. And I've never been that rabid a fan if it's multiplayer.

I figure that eventually many folks will upload the H2A cutscenes to YouTube as well as entire campaign missions. I can settle for simply watching it there.

TX-20 likes this.
  4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm looking forward to it. I've not played Halo 2 before, so that will be all new to me. There will be gamers who have never played a Halo game before and this is a great way to get them into it. It's not unlike the trilogy set that was released for Mass Effect either. They're games that fans have played before and buying it for one game isn't worth it, but for new players it's great. I'm looking forward to having them all on the Xbox One.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well I can sell you my OG copy of Halo 2 for a song. :p

Undoubtedly, for folks like you this will be a very good deal, if only to experience Halo 2 anew as well as the H5 beta.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, and I have another reason to get it too. My Xbox 360 doesn't like staying connected to XBL but my Xbox One is fine. Means I can play Halo again without worrying about whether I'll get disconnected.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Halo 2 Anniversary would be the only reason I would even get The Master Chief Collection anyway, because Halo 2 is the only Halo game I haven't played. But I would rather try and find an Xbox and the first two Halo games instead of getting an Xbox One, because I can't justify getting an Xbox One without Live, and I can't do that until I can find a job.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Er...you can find both easily on eBay and both play well on the 360...just without any multiplayer, though.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Really, you can play Xbox games on a 360? I know Halo is also available on the Arcade.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes, you can play most OG Xbox games - including Halo 1 & 2 - on the 360, though the console might require a small patch dl before you're able to play them.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    See, the problem with that is, I don't have internet on my 360, so the only reason the console is even relatively updated is console updates from recent games.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    And a few videos later, and my resolve begins to falter. I hate myself. :p

13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The effort they've appeared to put into both Halo 2 Anniversary and the combined MP is well worth $60 IMO. Halo 2 is the only core entry I've not yet played, and it looks stunning for an upgraded 2004 game.

Blur Studios are doing the cutscenes too! Did they make the cutscenes for Spartan Ops or were those in-house at MS?

14. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I said it in the big E3 thread, but H2 was my favorite of the Halo games, so once I have a job+money to spare, I'm definitely going to get an X1 so that I can play the Anniversary edition.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Last night I popped in the Halo 2 disc on the 360 and went through Cairo Station...on easy (that level can be exceedingly brutal on Legendary). And yes, the game engine simply hasn't aged that well. A next gen facelift would certainly make it very worthwhile.

"For a brick, he flew pretty good!" :p

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I wonder if they'll do the same with Halo 2 as they did with Halo Anniversary, where you can swap between old and new while you play. It's not important at all but it'd be a nice thing to have.

If I didn't already have an Xbox One it wouldn't be worth it, but I have a few games for it already and I do like Halo. A few more free games and it will have paid for itself in savings.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I understand you can do that with H2A as well. I imagine the contrast between old and new will be considerable.

18. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    They showed off the swap feature in a demo on IGN, and it's instantaneous rather than having a second or two's delay on the original Anniversary. The biggest difference has really got to be the lighting - that's improved a lot since 2004.

TX-20 likes this.
  19. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Here's a neat little infographic I found from reddit. Not gonna lie, the halo fanboy inside me is over-hyped.
    [​IMG]

TX-20 likes this.
  20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I wonder if they will release any map packs for the MS collection?

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have never seen so much redundant info in my entire life. How many times can they repeat the same thing in the same features blurb over and over again?

22. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005

I doubt it. Throwing in 100 maps altogether from 4 different game engines sounds like hard enough work. It does sound nice though.

Is it weird that I'm mostly excited for this new "Nightfall" series? I wonder if it'll be on par with Forward Unto Dawn. Live-action Halo is always nice.

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    This is just something to whet the appetites for XBOne owners before Halo 5. I do wish Halo 2 Anniversary was also coming out for the 360 just so that you could have all the Bungie Halos on one console.

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's all I want at this point too, though I am interested in Halo 5.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You know what'd be one hell of an incentive for those still in the fence about jumping on the next gen bandwagon? MS could do an offer where by merely registering your gamertag - and after a scan of that plus your Halo Waypoint records to provide evidence of having played ALL Halo games before - they could sell you a customized Xbone at the regular retail price with the MC Collection preloaded at no additional charge. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. :D