main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    alex lugano said:
    Here's the question you have to ask when ascertaining whether or not Boyega is as qualified as some here are positing:

Would he have been cast as a leading actor in the Original Trilogy?

I think we can all agree that the answer is most definitely no.

So if the answer is no, then why is he qualified to be in the ST?​

In your opinion, name someone who would be qualified. Heck, name five people for that matter.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Back on topic. This is to talk about John and what he will be doing in the movie. Not this other stuff. Next one to keep with this derailment will be banned.

3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I don't understand the John Boyega hate. To me, he seems absolutely charming and his enthusiasm for SW is sooo endearing. I think he'll be great. And who cares if he's Skywalker blood or not? If he comes under Luke's tutelage, wouldn't that be continuing his legacy? Besides, they probably need a love interest for Daisy anyway. What else was she gonna do? Hook up with her cousin?

Listen, whether Luke does or does not have a son, it will have very little to do with John Boyega. But the way some fans act on here, you'd think the man single-handedly neutered Luke Skywalker himself. Will Luke have a kid? I don't know. I'm indifferent, actually. But if he DOES, people don't need to freak and feel threatened just because Boyega is a main lead in this movie. Maybe Luke's kid will be one too, maybe he won't. But there's two more films coming after this, so there's plenty of time for him to come into the forefront if he isn't. So, chill. Please.

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Apart of me feels like some of the hate Boyega gets is cause he doesn't fit the "White, blonde-haired, blue eyed Hamill-look alike" that people were kind of expecting the new lead to Star Wars tobe (you know...Luke's son. I mean if Gleeson was younger you'd think he'd be the lead but IDK)[face_dunno]\
    ANYWHO, So it seems like him and Daisy are continuining their trend of being as adorable as two kittens. In fact I have now decided that this is their animal counterpart equal to their adorableness
    [​IMG]
    Damn them...damn them and their cuteness [face_love]

5. alex lugano

alex lugano Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2014
    PK EDIT: I don't think you can read. Guys I'm serious. No more derailment of the thread.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No Boyega update for the last few eps of "24". I get the feeling he'll pop up in the finale, this happens to "24" characters a lot who get introduced early and then they don't do anything and, assuming they aren't killed off, they pop back in the last episode and are all like "Hey, remember me? Everything is cool now!"

7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Satipo :
    As I said, I want Luke to have a biological son/daughter so *I* and other SW fans who like Luke's character can follow that kid into future films and books when Luke is gone, just as Han and Leia fans will likely be able to follow the Daisy character into future films and books when Han and Leia are gone. It has nothing to do with Luke shaping future generations.

Luminous Beings Are We :
    While I would prefer to see Luke's son play a "meatier" role, I would actually be okay with him playing a supporting role in the ST as long as Luke DOES have a kid for future films/books. Maybe Luke's son could play a more prominent role himself in future books or a future trilogy, or, as you said perhaps Luke's son could have a kid who would be a major player in that future SW trilogy..

Darth_Zidious:

As you can see by my quote above, I KNOW that. However, Anakin is NOT the one who is important to me. I never liked the character. It's LUKE who I want to see have offspring, not Anakin. A child of Leia's would be Anakin's offspring, but NOT Luke's.

Yes, if Luke doesn't have a kid, it WILL lead to unhappiness for me, AND, I suspect, many others, especially those who have seen only the films. But, I don't consider whether Luke has kids or not to be a "low level detail". I think that's pretty important to the saga as a whole. The Skywalkers have always been important to SW, and if Luke has no children, there will be no future Skywalkers in both name and blood. I think that would be a negative for the franchise as a whole going into the future.

And I happen to feel that the "high level" story should involve a child of Luke's. I actually do think that a kid of Luke's would fit more properly within the saga than someone who isn't a Skywalker at all.

I wanted to respond to earlier posts. Sorry for derailing John's thread.

8. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I haven't thought about this. Very good point.

9. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I dunno - Its not like this is a biography - whether or not the Skywalker name continues on seems like it should primarily be a concern of LUKE'S, and if Luke doesn't care, and the writers of this movie come up with strong characterization and an in-story reason to care strongly about someone Luke himself strongly cares about (as well as Luke's niece, possibly, considering the time they're spending on Tatooine), then whether or not that character has the last name of Skywalker won't matter so long as the story is executed well.

If anything, it can be argued that while his name doesn't carry on, his legacy living on through a character not related to him by blood might make his legacy seem stronger AND more poignant.

I mean, the Skywalker name isn't as important so long as what Luke Skywalker STANDS FOR lives on; is strengthened and made vibrant. If John Boyega goes on that journey, and at the end of Episode 9 becomes the ideal of a Jedi that Luke himself envisioned when Ben first handed him that lightsaber on Tattooine? I don't think audiences are going to care whether or not John's character has the last name of Skywalker. They're going to be happy that a hero of that caliber is back onscreen, period.

And again, it's not like John doesn't have the chops to execute such an arc if that's what Kasdan & Abrams are giving to him on paper. He's a compelling screen presence. He can give you a lot without actually saying a word, which is really important, especially when it comes to Abrams, who tries to convey a lot of information with a look, or a reaction. I think he could easily wrap an audience up in his personal journey to be more than what he is at the beginning of Episode VII, and have them pulling for him. The last name of his character isn't going to matter as much if he nails that.

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    What Bobby said.

bobbyroberts likes this.
  11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    The Skywalker name is magical, and it SELLS. If Disney wants to make money going forward, it would make sense for them to keep the name alive to sell not only future films, but books, toys, etc. For me and other fans of the character of Luke Skywalker, it would also be great to be able to follow Luke's descendants going forward when Luke is gone. Most people on these boards seem very excited about the probability of being able to follow Han & Leia's daughter on adventures in this sequel trilogy and beyond. Don't you think that Luke fans would like to be able to enjoy the adventures of Luke's offspring too when Luke is no longer around?

I don't really understand it. I haven't seen anyone who likes Luke who doesn't want Han and Leia to have a kid as well, but there seem to be so many who are Primarily Han &Leia fans who don't seem to want Luke to have one too. What's then problem? Are some afraid that if Luke has a kid, that would somehow diminish Daisy' importance or John Boyega's impotance? Why can't all three of them be important?

12. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I don't think the Skywalker name sells so much as the words STAR and WARS do.

The presence or absence of children isn't what makes Han, Luke or Leia important. It's their characterization that does that. And if Han, Luke, or Leia DO have children, it's not going to be their lineage that defines them, but how they're written, directed, and acted that will make all the impact.

I'd imagine if the character of Luke is shown to have a vested intrest in whoever it is John Boyega is playing - fans of that character should be able to make the jump over to John's character rather easily, ESPECIALLY if John turns in a great performance, which he's absolutely capable of doing.

13. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I don't doubt that John Boyega's will turn in a good performance, but I still want Luke to have a kid. It. May not be important to you, but it is to me and many others.

And yes, Star Wars sells, but some SW toys and books and other things sell better than others. Luke's image was on many books, even some he wasn't the main character in, and the reason is that his image helped sell books. The same is true of other things like action figures. The Skywalker name is pretty synonymous with Star Wars, especially among casual fans who only watch the films. There should be another Skywalker for future films in the franchise, especially for those casual fans. If The folks at Disney are smart, they will include a son for Luke in episode VII.

14. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Um, what? Where have you seen these alleged "threatened" Han/Leia fans? I haven't seen anything like that. There's no reason to start stirring up divisions between the fan bases like that. Just sayin'.

I mean, at most, you've seen people talk about Han and Leia's kid(s) like it's a sure thing, while others are still speculating whether Luke will even have a kid at all. The Han/Leia assumption is based on the fact that they were in an established relationship at the end of ROTJ, and getting married and having kids would've been a natural progression of that. Luke? We've never seen him in a relationship, and have no idea if his devotion to being a Jedi would interfere with that or not. But I've seen nothing to suggest anyone is rooting for Luke being childless out of some petty pro-Han/Leia agenda. That's just silly.

Anyway, back on topic….I agree, that if John Boyega's character is well developed, and his performance solid, then people are gonna get into his character anyway. And it won't matter if he's a Skywalker or not, as long as he's a likable hero.

15. no boyega lead

no boyega lead Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2014
    Hi everyone! I still have absolutely nothing worth living for and so I am still trollolololing. If I had a social life or any chance at all to have teh sex, I would move on, but here I am, again!

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    LOL, "no Boyega lead", really?!?

Oh my god, sometimes people on this board takes this stuff WAY too seriously....

17. no boyega lead

Jun 14, 2014
    [face_laugh]

18. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    You're an idiot. I predict you getting booted in: 5….4….3…..2….

19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Bear in mind, I'm laughing at you not with you....

20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Indeed but can we get a mod or manager on this site to explain the lack of an IP Blocker.

Momotaros and no boyega lead like this.
  21. no boyega lead

Jun 14, 2014
    Please be my friend. I am so very, very lonely.

22. DarthAusteros

DarthAusteros Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2011
    Have to get used to these kind of post's now. Unfortunately, there's going to be a lot more coming if/when it's announced that a female and black male are the lead characters and the general public finds out.

Momotaros and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Who made this man a gunner??

24. no boyega lead

Jun 14, 2014
    I have nothing of value to offer. To anyone.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Keep telling yourself that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.