main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I stopped trying to analyze the whole "chosen one" thing long, long ago.

TheFoot, KevinM1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. locketcoket

locketcoket Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2014
    I did too but that idea literally whopped me upside the head while I was watching Sith Apprentice. BTW if any of you haven't seen it go to YouTube and look it up right away. It's hilarious.

Think About It

Immortiss likes this.
  3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Nah. It's complete. Why do people want to try to come up with any way they can to get Sith in this movie? Let it go.

4. locketcoket

May 25, 2014
    But Star Wars isn't Star Wars without a Sith.

Think About It

Immortiss and markdeez like this.
  5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    This is NEW Star Wars. A Sith isn't necessarily vital to the story anymore. We'll have to wait and see.

I thought about it. :p

6. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
  7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    YOU think about it. I'm busy. [face_talk_hand]

8. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Agreed 1000000%. It's not a Star Wars main saga film without the Sith.

Save all that other stuff for the spin-offs.

The PT/OT/ST should always involve Skywalkers & Sith.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

Dak Oolron and Immortiss like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Can't hold back these prophecy elements anymore?

Dak Oolron and Immortiss like this.
  11. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Considering Jedi and Sith are both instrumental in Star Wars... here's my take on the entire 'chosen one' prophecy.

Yoda mentions that the prophecy was often misinterpretated (EP III). Balanced isnt restored but more or less 'started to balance out'..in EP VI as the Sith Threat was still out there after the death of Sidious.
    Sith do return in the ST.... and are officially eliminated in EP IX (or XII)..by the Skywalker clan with guidance/help/interference from Anakin's force ghost.

In short, Anakin's guidance/leadership does lead to the force balancing out thus fullfilling the prophecy.

This is why I suspect Lucas had HC replaced Sebastian Shaw as a force ghost at the end of EP VI so he'd be
    young by the time the ST filing rolls around.

ForgottennJedi1986 and Immortiss like this.
  12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

or Vong IMO

13. locketcoket

May 25, 2014
    I don't think Vong will be in the films. Now that they are uncanon. And I can't see Anakin as a guiding force ghost. Plus I think Episode 7 will have to involve the Prophecy, the Jedi, and the Sith. Though I do think it would be a good idea to see the Imperial Remnant backing a new Sith who has some kind of dark hand or hand of death that is part of the Sith'ari prophecy since that would technically be like the most powerful Sith.

Think About It

Immortiss likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Star Wars is fully Star Wars without the Vong.

15. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    The names 'Sith' or 'Darth Sidious' are never mentioned in the OT. It worked perfectly fine without painting the dark/fallen Jedi as Sith who are sworn to oppose the Jedi for some reason. I think it would be perfectly fine to forget about the Sith myself. But I won't be TOO surprised if that's the direction they want to go, since the PT has people talking about 'Sith' every other breath.

16. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012

Isn't this the same thing? It's two ways of Yoda saying he can't see what's going on. And it's really vague in that we don't know if the Force itself is being affected, or if Palpatine is targeting Yoda specifically because he's Palp's biggest threat. And, again, we don't hear or see any other Jedi suffering from the growing imbalance.

Frankly, what GL says about it doesn't matter to me. I can really only go by what's on screen. That's the story, not what GL said in interviews.

Again, I'd be for a return to the prophecy if we actually had any example of the imbalance/balance being in play and affecting Jedi, but since we don't, it seems like a weird thing to want the ST to tie into.

17. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't understand the regressive impulse in comprehending the same unfolding story. Yes, the OT didn't specifically use terms to describe what is later labeled in the PT. Although the term 'Sith' has been around since the OT. The OT is what Obi-Wan described as our 'first step into a larger world'. The PT enlarged that 'world' and the ST will take that and expand on the very same 'world'. Sometimes I wonder if people don't realize this is all part of the same story being told. What do you call the counterpoint to the Jedi, if not Sith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Circular Logic, Jobertus and EHT like this.
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think you hold the answers to your questions in your own post. Vague is a terrific way to express how the Jedi were feeling in the last years of the Old Republic. Also, do you think having watched the ST that perhaps parts of the PT that seem vague will come into focus. If the ST is to be anything it should be clear and without ambiguity, not only as a whole, but as a piece of the entire saga. Clarifying would be a word I would use to describe 'what the ST should be' or I would use in a story conference, if I were writing the story. That's just me. That's how I perceive it at this time.

In regard to balance, when the Jedi win, the Force is in balance, even for the moment (Luke at the end of A New Hope). When the Jedi are confused, feel vague, there is no balance. They were terminal, excepting a few 'Chosen Ones' (Ben, Yoda, Anakin & Luke/Leia). Does anyone else get the impression that there are a number of 'Archangels' (Qui-Gon) in the Saga.:p

Jobertus and locketcoket like this.
  19. locketcoket

May 25, 2014
    I hope their will be more like Qui-Gon in the ST. My personal opinion is that Qui-Gon is the most powerful Jedi because of his compassion. In my opinions the Jedi of the Old Republic were still not the ideal guardians. They didn't love and thus weren't as powerful as they could be because they didn't know all of the lighter emotions. On the other hand Qui-Gon loved his neighbor and became the first Jedi Ghost thus he was the most powerful Jedi which is why if think Luke should take a role like that in the ST and kind of guide the new Jedi since it's almost oblivious the Chosen One prophecy was never completed.

Think About It

Jobertus likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But Qui-Gon became Qui-Kabab after fighting Maul, therefore, he was not the most powerful Jedi.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not about power, but in about wisdom and knowledge. In which case, we see that Obi-wan has become like Qui-gon.

"Duality is also present in the characters of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. In the beginning, Obi-Wan is at odds with Qui-Gon, who rebels against the Jedi rules. But by the end of the film, he has become Qui-Gon by taking on his rebellious personality and his responsibilities."

-- George Lucas, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

22. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Probably a blessing about being busy (and lazy) is I havent read anything from the EU except for the Thrawn trilogy way back when.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read them and make up your own mind. The Vong are great fun to read.

24. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    They could go "The Matrix" route, although I feel like it's an uninteresting explanation.. After the 3rd film the official story was that Neo brought peace (prophecy), but "how long would peace last". That concept would be an excuse to bring Sith back (replace the word 'balance' with 'peace').

Personally, I feel like I'd rather see them pursue something new.. like the nightsisters, or the Voss.. something that brings an element of mystery and a legitimate threat to a Jedi, without really impacting the chosen one part of the story that's already been told. I'd like to see some "new" in the new star wars. That's probably not mainstream enough for the studio though.

25. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    It all depends on how important you believe the Sith are in the story. The 'counterpoint' to the Jedi could be...anything that opposes them. Anyone...evil or not. As I've mentioned before in another thread, how 'Sith' did Palpatine really need to be to succeed? Sure at the end there he got a little desperate and had to fight some Jedi, but the other 99% of his climb to power didn't rely on him being a Sith at all, just a really deceptive politician/manipulator.

I know what people are concerned about. If the prophecy 'balance' thing means the Sith have to be destroyed to achieve this, then what can we have moving forward if there is indeed balance? Well it's pretty simple....in the 30 years after ROTJ the force just becomes unbalanced again for whatever reason, right? They have a pretty big gap to work with here, enough to not really negate any of the force-related story we were already told.

People seem to want all these films to tell one BIG story instead of a bunch of smaller ones. I don't really see it that way...it doesn't all have to have a giant POINT to it, just make some sense and be about space wars.

From my perspective, even thought the Jedi/Sith and the force is very important in Star Wars, it's not really the point. It's all about the change in power and the characters who struggled through it all. From Republic, to Empire, to Rebellion. They got a little carried away with Jedi/Sith and the force powers in the PT, and I'd like to see them focus less on that stuff and more on the actual war part.....vehicles clashing, starships dogfighting, military strikes, etc. That's what I fell in love with in Star Wars, not the guys with swords who use magic. But that is my extremely biased opinion of course. :D

Immortiss likes this.