main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Boba Fett - Possible Spin-Off (Cancelled - See Page 57 for Details)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Django Fett, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    We all know George Lucas adapted Hidden Fortress into what we now know as A New Hope, it was one of many Kurasawa films that Hollywood adapted and usually into a western theme. The best adaption of a Kurasawa film in my oppinion is Sergio Leone's Fistful of Dollars, it was adapted again for the Bruce Willis vehicle Last Man Standing. So using a Kurasawa/Leone story as a basis for a film about bounty hunter's what better source than Leone's brilliant For A Few Dollars More, which is a story of two brilliant bounty hunters (Clint Eastwood & Lee Van Cleef) going after the same prey, El Indigo.

So here we have two competing bounty hunters, Boba Fett and Dengar, going after the Star Wars version of El Indigo. At first they don't get on but soon reallise the only way they are going to get the prize is by working together. Like the Van Cleef character in For A Few Dollars More, Dengar will have an alternative motive for going after the El Indigo. Whilst Boba will follow the basics of Eastwood's character... And of course there's so many interesting characters with the usual Star Wars twist, such as the rest of the gang, the corrupted lawmen and the townspeople who inhabit the planets we see.

2. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Boskk Cassidy and the Dengar Kid?

SithHorseman likes this.
  3. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Was it already rumored that the Fett movie Kasiden has pitched/is making will be about hte Jango Fett clone being killed and someone else take over the name/mantle of Boba Fett?

4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

I want to say that this rumor was debunked, but I don't have a link and am too lazy to go looking for one. :p While I wasn't a fan of the whole Boba is a clone thing, I certainly hope that the rumor isn't true.

[​IMG]

Rabs, SlashMan and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  5. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yeah, somebody somewhere posted a snarky screed from Pablo Hidalgo debunking it. I am also lazy and don't remember where I saw it.

6. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    What could the Star Wars version of a Mexican Bandit be? Cad Bane is based on Angel Eyes from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, but i can see his personality is closer to Tuco from that film the Angel Eyes.

But its more the feel of the film, the storyline and Leone's brilliant use of close ups. How could that play with Boba? It certainly would be great with Dengar and anyone who wasn't wearing a mask/helmet were you can zoom in on their eyes Leone style, but would it work with Boba and the helmet? I think so because the eyepiece is black and would give him a very cold outer appearance which is what we expect, but we also know theres more to Boba than that.

7. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    This is to discuss the downsides of a Boba Fett movie. To get the ball rolling:
    • A guy flying around in a jet pack as a hired gunner will get old fast
    • Bobby doesn't seem like the talking type. Do we need 100 minutes filled with nods and grunting?
    • Most fans didn't really seem to care that much about Bobby to begin with. He's fan boy fodder.
    • Iron Man's already a movie. Three in fact.

Andy Wylde, cwustudent and SlashMan like this.
  8. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    Funny that you compared him to Iron Man as I never made that connection before. But it's telling that I like that movie as well as the Rocketeer.

But like with any movie I think it can work if they do it right. I think if they did a space western type atmosphere in the dregs of Coruscant it could work. I don't need him to talk a lot or fly around a lot.

Don't know if I like this idea or not but there could be a portion of the movie where he was separated from his gear ala Iron Man 3. No I take that back that sounds horrible. But regardless I think it can be done and as I'm a "fan boy" I hope it's the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge. Also, I've updated the thread title to make this a one-stop thread for discussion about a possible Boba Fett spin-off movie... whether we like the possibility, whether we don't, ideas for it, etc.

Django Fett likes this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think a Boba Fett moview could also tie in with the Empire set during the OT. We could see Vader using him or show how their paths first crossed. If they do a Boba movie then I hope they don't go down the 'bad guy with a heart helps out a town in trouble' route. Also keep him masked throughout.

Rabs likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    one of the stories i liked was about joda kast i think? he was impersonating boba using some repainted mando armor. eventually boba found him and killed him.

if they could do a post-sarlaac twist on that story it might work. boba is seen alive, takes jobs, etc. then a mystery man starts pursuing him. later it's revealed the real fett survived the pit only to have someone steal his ship and extra gear, assuming his identity. then boba gets revenge.

the story is a mystery of course and the audience doesn't know who's who until the end.

12. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Or they could show the true Jaster Mereel and his apprentice, one Jango Fett. Now that its not tied down to the Legacy material it opens some very interesting possibilities for the writer and director.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    actually it says pre vizla killed jaster mereel.

[​IMG]

14. Summers1913

May 12, 2014
    Probably means nothing but IMDB has Temeura Morrison listed as a cast member in the first spinoff.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    A 54 year old Boba Fett? So he climbs out of the Sarlacc pit, and then we get to watch a movie set, what, 15 years later? That sounds kind of crazy. (Although the timeline puts it right in the middle of the period between ROTJ and Episode VII, which is kind of interesting.)

16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

Not quite. Jaster was killed by Tor Vizsla, not Pre Vizsla and if they are discounting Legends they can do with it whatever they want.

I'm actually for a movie where he is in the pit trying to escape. Part of the action is his work there, but that's the minor bit. As he does so we are treated to a series of flashbacks (either to one story from his past, or a series of unconnected story lines) set between Episode III and IV that show what a badass Fett was in the past. In the end we get to see the scene where Fett is indeed successful in his attempts at freedom as his fist emerges from the sand (or the maw of the sarlacc). That can set up any participation in the ST that he might have.

[​IMG]

Jaster Vhett likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    ok i just skimmed it and saw "vizla".

18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm pretty tired, so if you want detail, you can read my blog post here, but I've done some research. In short, Morrison may voice a younger Boba with Brett doing the physical role. Brett is, notably, the same height as Jeremy Bulloch.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It sure is terrific! But then, I think each installment of the Dollars trilogy is great.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine it's likely that a Fett standalone will be set either in-between Episodes 3 and 4, or sometime during the OT timeline, and almost certainly play as a bounty hunter tale.

And though I'm not a proponent of going so far as to effectively strip Boba of his PT backstory (as in the rumor of a few months ago), I do think it's conceivable to keep Fett's early backstory intact, while still retaining a sense of mystery for the character. I think that mystery was a pretty essential part of the charm of the character in the OT, and I'd like to see it played-up where possible.

Accordingly, I think the "Man With No Name" is a pretty good template to base a Boba in his prime on, and I think a story like the one you've suggested could be a terrific way of approaching things. My only (minor) quibble would be that if we're to get a two bounty hunter focus, rather than Dengar, I'd sooner the second be spelled by Cad Bane.

Now, I know that if I had any say at all in the matter, I'd prefer that the story of a Boba Fett movie be set after ROTJ, opening with Fett escaping the Sarlacc and then seeing Boba take advantage of the power vacuum in the GFFA underworld following the demise of Jabba and the Emperor, and securing a power base of his own. I'd also like to see that any connection Boba has to Mandalorian culture explored in some depth.

The possibilities of a story like that definitely intrigue me, but really, no matter the timeline or focus, provided that any Boba Fett movie makes sure to at least touch upon the trappings of the classic Western genre, I'm pretty open to almost anything else the filmmakers want to give us, and I see it as an exciting project.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually TPM is far more like THF than ANH is but all you have to do is read The Star Wars miniseries to see those connections.

http://ie001.blogspot.ca/2014/05/pablo-hidalgo-says-no-to-boba-fett.html

There was this whole thing where he was a legitimate character with a developed back story and complex motivation that showed up on this show called Clone Wars. It was pretty neat. The guy who invented the character came up with it, which was a nice touch. I think it's on Netflix."

"Also - get this - there's a version of The Empire Strikes Back ("Episode V" some call it) where they went to the trouble to make Boba Fett's voice the same voice as the character who played his father. That was one of several clues woven into the movies that strongly suggest the movies released from 1999-2005 take place in the same universe, and if you think about it, are sort of the same story as the ones that came out earlier. It's pretty crazy. They're connected. Anyway, this version of it can be found on DVD and Blu-ray where such things are sold."

"Anyway, these sorts of clues are hidden all throughout the movies. The opening crawls are actually numbers if you look at it (I = 1, II= 2/... V = 5, VI = 6). if you look at it the right way, it hints that this whole thing is meant to tie together."

"You know, there was a post not a month ago that said what were the immovable objects in the Star Wars canon. The internet records such things."

"Obviously I got nothing against **** (cheers!) It's just the rebooted Fett rumor is so transparently coming from someone (not ****, in case there's any confusion) who still has an axe to grind against the prequels. That's where all these retcon prequel rumors come from. Don't give 'em any weight."

Andy Wylde, SlashMan and bstnsx704 like this.
  21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    For the sake of continuity I hope that Temeura does play him in a standalone movie. I also hope that he isn't unmasked too often in it either.

22. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

Yes, perfect way to put it.

Maybe if the movie was about all of the Underworld and scum of the Star Wars universe. Like a gangster film. Boba could be included, but not the center piece. I just don't think he can hold his own in a solo movie.

Andy Wylde and Blazer-Smith like this.
  23. Summers1913

May 12, 2014
    I like the beginning of your post. Kind of like the first Iron Man movie in the cave. But I don't know how I feel about flashbacks. I don't know that they belong in Star Wars.

Even the dream sequences felt wrong to me. But that's just this guy's opinion.

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Flashbacks certainly don't feel Star Wars (or, at least, episodic Star Wars), but I'm going to have to disagree with you about the visions in the form of dreams. They felt very in line with the Dagobah cave sequence in TESB.

Summers1913 likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

i have "the man with no name" box set. essential film viewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.