main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Huge Plot Rumors On MakingStarwars.net

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by QuiJohn, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    Yeah, I'd trust if Eric says it is off, someone in the know told him so. I know Eric better than I know these sources. I still don't believe my sources were lying or being evil. I believe they believe this to be true.

At the end of the day, the value in my report is simply an insight into what the rumor of the day was amongst the crew and individuals around Pinewood during the making of the film. If the information is truly all wrong.

2. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Interesting!

It was fun speculating though, and I like contemplating a story that's completely divorced from the EU.

3. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    If we ever decided to show such passion to change the world like the way we fans disseminate particles of measly information - this world would truly be paradise already. Or episode 7 wouldnt be made for 15 years until all the debates were worn out. Its amazing how non cred information can spark intense debate and prove/disprove various plot elements. I would hope JJ has such a team around him to keep common sense story wise.

you nerds. you. ;) (and to clarfiy i include myself in that descript...no offense inteneded to anyone)

4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yep, and kudos to you for giving us all something to talk about for two days.

5. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005

No, I appreciate your trying and I know it's hard to navigate what rumors are true and what aren't and whats valid and what isn't. I'd rather you report what you hear and things be shot down than a valid rumor never be read.

6. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Where's Saddam's regime today?

Not many people are arguing that the galaxy has enjoyed 30 years of peace. Iraq's situation sounds more like chaos to me than a struggle against an empire. Galactic chaos with multiple power players is what I want for the sequel trilogy.

FWIW- I liked the "Jedi Hunters" concept. Force sensative assassins? Count me in. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board. [face_dunno]

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Interesting. I still wouldn't be surprised if there was a snippet of truth in there somewhere.

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    This is JJ Abrams we're dealing with. This'll probably be a "High Rumor Low Truth" situation till we get the first official things (which might be a while). So take everything with a grain of salt and a slice of lime and a shot of tequila. Wait what?

9. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    If nothing else. The past two days took people's mind off Ankle Gate for a while. [face_laugh]

10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Saddam's capture and execution led to perceived peace for a little while followed by new regimes scrambling for power that were otherwise suppressed during Saddam's regime.

Anyway, shame that the entire Jedi Hunters thing was false. Outside any suggestion of the Empire, the idea was pretty interesting with Sith worshipers, attempt to resurrect them, etc.

D'an likes this.
  11. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But the info about the sets has to be true, though?

Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I would say so, yes.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't think anyone thought it was anything else. Some sliver of it might have something to do with something but we get only pieces.

Now I forget the details but is the bottom line that someone saw Lupita on set and in some costume that suggested this idea to them?

It's like this other Stormtroopers on set and TIE fighter etc.

Is this real or someone creating it in whole or part?

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm still sticking with a re-use of material from GL's first few drafts of The Star Wars although couldn't the Sith Lord who lands on Utapau an kills one of the sons (Deak???) be described as a "Jedi Hunter"? I don't think they'll stick too close to that draft but use elements that GL came up with in the early 70's that were never used.

15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Strictly speaking from my personal preference, I do not want to have to go back and rethink what happens in the PT and OT! I don't want the Prophecy of the Chosen one expanded on, let it live as it is in the PT and OT. I don't want Plagueis as the villain, let him stay dead as we understood it in ROTS. If the Jedi Hunters are trying to bring back a Sith Lord from the past, please oh please don't let it be Sidous. Let it be an ancient Sith, like Bane or something, someone we never heard of in the movies. I don't want to have to look at the end of ROTJ and think, hey guys stop celebrating cause you're all screwed anyway. I would make a bet that the vast majority of regular (aka non-fanatical star wars fans) movie goers that saw ROTJ would agree that at the end of ROTJ it was made clear that the Empire was pretty much on it's last leg. At the end of the day, the movies have to make sense for everyone, not just for those of us that live Star Wars everyday.

I agree that it is not the end of the whole story, however, ROTJ is the end of of a huge part of the story. I just don't need them to try and change the things we saw in the other trilogies just to try and shake things up, or to put their own mark on Star Wars. Move the story forward, leave the old stories alone. I'm not saying that the day after ROTJ, Leia walks into the Senate building on Coruscant and announces the creation of the 2nd Republic, but, I really do think that the new trilogy has to take into account what has been seen at the end of ROTJ, and not try to manipulate it by pretending it was something other than a celebration that the Empire was crumbling.

While some aspects of the Rumor were interesting, I am glad we are getting reports that the rumor is wrong. 30 years and the Rebels (as we know them) are still fighting some kind of Imperial Force is just silly when it comes to the realm of movie making. You can point to all the real world examples of how long empires last, how long rebellions last etc etc. While Lucas has obviously used political events from our own history, he has still warped them to fit within his Science Fiction story. A story where Empires do crumble because their leader is killed, or a shadowy leader can with the help of one other person create two huge armies. So any pointing to our historical events that show empires do this or that, all have to be taken with a grain of salt because within a fictional story those elements can be twisted and the story could go 100% the other way where a new Republic sprouts out of the death of an Empire pretty quickly. Just like in the U.S. where an Empire was overthrown, and a new system of government was in place relatively quickly.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Here is the daily medical check-up:
    [​IMG]

17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    How do we know that Eric's source is legit and not misinformation? I assume it probably is legit, but if we're going to hold a skeptical view to all rumors, why not Eric too?

18. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    As someone who knows neither of these guys it's hard to know what to believe. Nobody can reveal their sources to back up anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-R-, Dra--- and Satipo like this.
  19. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Interesting...

20. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Considering Lucasfilms has spoke to him and the staff of TF in the past. It gives him more credibilty then sites that make it a living to throw out any rumor that comes across thier desk. Plus, I have yet to see Eric get any thing wrong. Plus Eric doesn't seem like the type that throws thing out there just for the hell of it.

21. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I wouldn't dismiss any of these sources as liars. What glimpses they've been allowed to see come without official detail. It's all up for interpretation; accuracy be damned.

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Factor in the whole Chinese whispers of all these various rumours as they pass along the chain and it becomes even harder to tell who is right and who is wrong. Jedi Hunters may not be mentioned in the script (which I'd imagine is under lock and key or in a safe somewhere) but might be a nick name the crew have for certain characters. Who knows. I'm always open for any rumours. Beats having nothing to speculate on. Anyway, Eric hasn't seen fit to debunk the set rumours so those still seem fair game! Edit - exactly D'an!

Artoo-Dion and Dra--- like this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope.

"Everybody was upset. I was struggling with the problem that I had this sort of climactic scene that had no climax about two-thirds of the way through the film. I had another problem in the fact that there was no real threat in the Death Star. The villains were like tenpins; you get into a gunfight with them and they just get knocked over. As I originally wrote it, Ben Kenobi and Vader had a sword fight and Ben hits a door and the door slams closed and they all run away and Vader is left standing there with egg oil his face. This was dumb; they run into the Death Star and they sort of take over everything and they run back. It totally diminished any impact the Death Star had."

It was like the old Bob Steele westerns where they all had about fifty shots in their six-shooters.

"Right, but those kind of things dissipate without having a lot of real cruel torture scenes and real unpleasant scenes with the bad guys in order to create them as being bad or make them a threat. I was walking that thin line between making something that I thought was vaguely a nonviolent kind of movie but at the same time I was having all the fun of people getting shot. And I was very careful that most of the people that are shot in the film were the monsters or those storm-troopers in armored suits. Anyway, I was rewriting, I was struggling with that plot problem when my wife suggested that I kill off Ben, which she thought was a pretty outrageous idea, and I said, 'Well, that is an interesting idea, and I had been thinking about it.' Her first idea was to have Threepio get shot, and I said impossible because I wanted to start and end the film with the robots, I wanted the film to really be about the robots and have the theme be framework for the rest of the movie. But then the more I thought about Ben getting killed the more I liked the idea because, one, it made the threat of Vader greater and that tied in with The Force and the fact that he could use the dark side. Both Alec Guinness and I came up with the thing of having Ben go on afterward as part of The Force. There was a thematic idea that was even stronger about The Force in the earliest scripts. It was really about The Force, a Castaneda Tales of Power thing."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone interview; 1977.

One of the things Lucas struggled with during the OT, was the idea of killing off the good guys. That's why even though there was suggestions to kill Han and even Lando, Lucas didn't really want to go down that route. Early on in ROTJ, he even had Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin return to life at the end of the film. It had nothing to do with action figures. With the PT, Lucas accepted that he had to kill the Jedi characters and ultimately kill Padme as well.

True. That is why the rumored story, which appears to be debunked, had some grain of truth to it. Do recall that the Regional Governors were mentioned in ANH, who would have control over the systems with Palpatine and the Death Star ruling the roost. It isn't unreasonable that some of the governors are still around.

24. Eric Geller

Eric Geller TFN Staff Emeritus star 1 VIP

Mar 2, 2005
    As I said yesterday, I did get this wrong. So I'm not perfect. But the source for that story has nothing to do with my latest story.

I have no way of proving to you what I know, so your skepticism is completely legitimate.

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    erier2003 question for you - are you saying every single detail is incorrect within that report? Or just that within the script there are no Jedi Hunters, no Sith plot and those cast things are off?

Artoo-Dion and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.