main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I'd wait until both Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi are out before further Mara Jade speculation.

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Where is the fun in that?

JediMasterJessica and Ryus like this.
  3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I've been thinking, as we all know, a new female friend of Luke will appear in Heir to the Jedi. Do you think if there is no evidence of her being Luke's couple we will be able to discard the existence of a Skywalker offspring?

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    The absence of proof isnt proof of absence. So no, we can't take it as evidence especially since Luke can't have a deep romance at that point in the timeline due to him seemingly caring more about Leia in the movies when this book takes place (between IV and V, where as V-VI is another matter since by then Leia's feelings for Han get more clear and Vaders revolation shocking Luke to his core (thus might be looking for some stress relief/happiness/escape)). So logically we'll likely only get alluding to a long term relationship at best, if anything, like what happened with Luke and Mara in the Thrawn Trilogy where it ended with them just now being friends.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I could actually tolerate her in that mode, as her Black Widow-esque character in Heir to the Empire. If she had stayed that character--a kickass villain and Luke's nemesis--I might be more of a fan.

As far as Heir to the Jedi...not reading it. The description and excerpt made me want brain bleach. Nothing against that author, I'm not familiar with him at all, but I could not have less interest in a first-person naval-gazing Luke story.

Now if someone writes a first-person Han book with heavy doses of wit in every paragraph...General, count me in.

More on topic...I actually agree that it would be great to see a good father-son relationship in Star Wars, a biological equivalent of what we saw with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and briefly, Anakin. I don't want to see that bad enough to tolerate cavity-inducing Titanic-in-space romance though, so...not sure I care where Mom is, as long as that doesn't happen.

6. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Why does Luke have to have a son to carry on the Skywalker name? Seems like people take new names a bit in the SW galaxy. Anyone who is a descendant of Anakin could take the Skywalker name. Also could be a whole Skywalker clan on tatooine. There's already 3 known to have come from there.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    As to a kid Because thermatically it ties into the previous two trilogies best... As to Tatooine, its visually distinctive. Personally I don't want more Tatooine but would understand why'd they go down that path, as to the kid however I'd view it as a MAJOR waste of plot potential for Luke to not have one. Further a kid for Luke would send a clear message to those who didn't like the prequals or where indifferent to them that VII won't bedoing what they did without need to say anything fufurther on the matter.

8. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I thought Shmi came from a different planet and only ended up on Tatooine when she was sold into slavery. Or is that considered EU and non canon now?

9. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Nothing was ever said on screen about where Shmi came from, so I assume she is from Tatooine. If it was in the EU, then I don't remember it, but that's out the window now. If she's from Tatooine, then it's reasonable to assume there are other Skywalkers.

10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I could have sworn Shmi said something about her past in the Mortis arc of Clone Wars season 3... Then again that was son in her form... Hmmm... Maybe it was referencing the EU since back then it was canon making only that part retroactively canon... Or I'm just remember wrong, lmao...

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin says in TPM that they first arrived on Tatooine when he was "about three, I think".

12. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Yup. According to Wookieepedia:

Claire1976 likes this.
  13. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Don't recall that line. I'll have to watch again. I think the line is, padme: "how long have you been a slave?" Anakin: "since i was about 3, I think"

14. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Is that a canon or EU article?

Also, no matter where she came from, there are other Skywalkers.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Have you been here long?"
    "Since I was very little. Three, I think. My mom and I were sold to Gardulla the Hutt, but she lost us, betting on the Podraces with Watto."

16. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    No idea, but seeing as her birthplace is never established on or off-screen, the world really is unknown.

17. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Here I leave some bit of an old Timothy Zahn interview in which he claims Lucas idea was to develop a saga about three generations. An idea that, if it is what Lucas wanted for the ST, might not come to fruition at all:

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The Nightsisters, Mother Talzin in particular, might have an interest in breeding one of the Sisters with Luke in order to create a Force child they can control in the lineage of the Chosen One (Talzin because she would be most likely to know of the Jedi prophecy).

I recall their being a plot similar to this in the feminist Arthurian novel The Mists of Avalon.

Anyway, the idea would be to create a child like Mordred and raise them to hate their family enough to destroy it like Mordred tries to do with King Arthur, his knights, and Camelot.

19. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Does Luke get a say in this union?

dyous87 and Dra--- like this.
  20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I doubt it. He would probably be tricked or forced in some way. In Excalibur, King Arthur was drugged/put under a spell to view Morgan le Fey as Guinevere.

Or perhaps the woman chosen to seduce him would at some point actually have feelings for him, but still the child would be taken from them.

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I always wanted a SW version of Excalibur. One of my favorite movies.

dyous87 and Dra--- like this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Me too! =D=

dyous87 likes this.
  23. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
    I'm open to this idea, it could be possible that Luke is unaware that he is a father. I also do recall an old Hamill quote (and a Lucas quote too) that stated a possible plot point for 7-9 would be Luke's life coming full-circle, only this time he would be trying to turn his son to the light side. Then again, all that could have changed a million times since the 80s., and there would be good money on that bet.

24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm probably alone on this, but I wouldn't mind if they pulled an "Up" or "Severus' Tale" when it came to the mother. Like maybe before Luke dies, he realizes that his kid deserves to know about his mother before he dies (assuming that the identity and fate of the kid's mother has been kept a secret most of the film). So Luke somehow manages to transfer his memories of their relationship and the mother's fate to the kid (how this is done I have no idea, since I dont know much about Star Wars mind thingys). Then show like a montage of vision-like images showing their meeting, relationship and the mother's inevitable death (like just show that the mother was killed and Luke was totaly distraught and sent the child away in order to hopefully avoid that kid sharing the same fate*. Have that scene rely more on deep emotions and imagery than dialogue and "In your face Shakespeary things*". I mean...if you watch Up and that scene from the Deathly Hallows, they both manage to tell a better tragic love story in less than 10 minutes than most films do in hours.
    IDK...I just think it could make for a very powerful scene [face_dunno]

ForgottennJedi1986 and Dra--- like this.
  25. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    It´s a nice idea, but first we have to know if there is any Skywalker offspring at all. And right know all signs are pointing towards the lead not being the only actor that seems to fit the idea of Skywalker offspring most of us have. Right know there are three reasons to believe Gleeson y playing Luke´s kid. He is ginger. He was next to Mark and Anthony Daniels on the table read, and a late 20s ,ales was listed as lead on early casting calls. But I´m still not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.