main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode 7 Plot Ideas

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthRuss, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    It's a more credible threat than Stormtroopers or endless battle droids being sliced down at will, these Jedi Hunters wouldn't be the main antagonists but more the foot soldiers, obviously Luke would deal with them but for a young apprentice or in large numbers they cause problems.

It's an interesting idea, and is different to what we've seen on film so far, they may not even be force users or use lightsabre's.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    These movies are more of an ensemble piece if anything. I would prefer it to not be Luke or Han-centric either.

3. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Han, Luke, Leia will be to EP7 what Windu, Yoda, Organa were to ROTS, big players in the overall story that will have their chance to shine but not at the front and centre of proceedings IMO, although one could possibly play a major role (Han, Luke) similar to Ben in ANH amongst the main leads.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

yeah and to be that is wrong. i hope we at least get some prequal films in the middle somewhere where Luke is featured. But you would need a new actor

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I could see a show spanning the events in between ROTJ and the ST.

6. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    I definitely feel like Salacious Crumb's son needs to be involved in ep. 7 somehow. maybe even as the main antagonist for luke.

7. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    There's a sentient 'black hole' swallowing up planets and the Jedi need to get in contact with it to see if they can stop it. Better yet, the Falcon, in Hyperspace, hits a wormhole and is transported to our solar system. The damaged Falcon lands on Earth during the Middle Ages and Han and Chewie and the rest of the gang join up with some knights to fight off a group of stormtroopers that followed that followed them through the wormhole. Actually, that second plot was what a lot of people thought Star Wars Pt. 2 (Empire Strikes Back) was going to be a about. Wild rumors existed way back then, like now. But obviously on a smaller scale sans internet. But some science fiction magazine back in the late 1970's (Starlog?) claimed that a 'credible source' reported to them that the plot of the Star Wars sequel was really about the Falcon crash-landing on Earth during the middle ages and Luke, Han, etc. team up with knights to fight off a force of stormtroopers. LMAO.

8. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I understand your objections. You make some good points. You have indicated you want:
    • A brand new villain because a return of the Sith invalidates Luke's victory
    • No Empire because that invalidates the Alliance's victory
    • If the Force goes out of balance again, it invalidate's Anakin's sacrifice and the Chosen One prophecy
    Those are very restrictive constraints! It's hard to imagine a story that can fit those constraints while still fitting in with the saga (as opposed to a spin off). Do you have any theories on what might happen in the movie? Do the Jedi opponents use light sabers? Are there space battles?

Jedi Older Code and Dra--- like this.
  9. Darth Uma-Queca

Darth Uma-Queca Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2014
    Not really. Luke redeemed his father thus bringing an end to the Emperor. That was Luke's victory. Evil will always exist, in a form or another.

Meh. Sure, it undermines a little the Alliance's victory. But I could live with that if the galaxy is now equally divided between some kind of Empire Remnants and a proto-New Republic. Coruscant, Naboo, Bespin, Tatooine and many other systems should be part of this new goverment. Think about it: in PT we had a dominant Republic with an insurging Separatist group; in OT we had an Empire and the Rebel's small force; in the ST they could be living a period of cold war with apparent peace between these two factions, until war erupts again in Ep. VII.

Again, no it doesn't. We can make an analogy with Jesus Christ. He was our saviour, the Messiah who died for all the sins of humanity. But sins are still commited and sinners will still be judged. So Anakin sacrificed himself to bring balance to the Force. But evil will allows exist thus causing imbalance to the Force. The Force itself is a delicate balance between the dark and the light side, so some sort of evil must always exist to counter the good. Anakin didn't ended all evil and cannot block a Sith comeback, that doesn't make any sense. People are just misenterpting the Chosen One prophecy. Or maybe the Chosen One is Luke or Daisy, we don't know what will happen in the ST.

PS: Sorry by my english, I'm not a native speaker ;)

Han Yolo and Dra--- like this.
  10. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    No worries. :) However, those are Gallandro's constraints (paraphrased by me). I don't agree with them. But I'm curious if he can postulate some story that fits what he wants.

11. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I posted this in another thread, but it gets to what I feel would thematically make more sense given the events of Episodes I-VI:

Even looking at the O-OT, Lucas' clear implication is the Empire is defeated... it's dust. Heck, just look at the English lyrics to the silly Yub Nub song, it makes it pretty clear this is a "happily ever after" ending:

Freedom, we got freedom;
    And now that we can be free,
    Come on and celebrate.

Power, we got power;
    And now that we can be free,
    It's time to celebrate.

Celebrate the freedom;
    Celebrate the power;
    Celebrate the glory;
    Celebrate the love.

Glory, we found glory.
    The power showed us the light,
    And now we all live free.

*Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
    Celebrate the might; (Power!)
    Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.

Glory, we found glory.
    The power showed us the light,
    And now we all live free.

*Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
    Celebrate the might; (Power!)
    Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.

People keep using these real world correlations to try and massage an excuse why the Empire would still be around, but Star Wars isn't the real world; it's a space fairy tale, and keeping the Empire around for another 30 plus years undermines the story laid out in the first six films. While Lucas may have thematically examined issues in politics and warfare, such as how totalitarian regimes rise, or using the Ewok battle with stormtroopers as a loose allegory of the Vietnam War, at the end of the day, at its core it's a simple fairy tale designed to entertain and impart some "wisdom" to the viewer when you look beyond the simple trappings of Jedi, aliens, starships, and the Empire. And when ROTJ ended the lesson was love for one another, loyalty, and perseverance overcame political power, military might, and the technological advantage of the Empire. The human spirit was able to overcome tyranny... now you've just undermined that whole lesson because in the words of Miracle Max:

[​IMG]

"Shows what you know. It just so happens the Empire is only mostly dead..."

A more logical thematic continuation of the Saga would be to ask the viewer, "You got your freedom, now what?" From a pure storytelling perspective there are plenty of ways to tell that story. Maybe the Alliance, while on its feet is still weak and is suddenly threatened by an external enemy trying to exploit this weakness. The clear moral of this story is, as a society do you continue to forge ahead in an Alliance based on freedom, or do you fall back into the safety of a totalitarian/military state which can more easily handle this new enemy... maybe the galaxy chooses the "safe" route putting our heroes at odds with a Republic they helped free. If you want to go the allegorical route maybe there is a tacit Alliance which is still struggling after the Galactic Civil War to get its act together when some internal incident, or some moral question fractures the Republic and worlds choose sides in an internal civil war (a loose allegory over slavery issue and the American Civil War).

Unfortunately it sounds like Lucas or JJ, or whoever constructed this story went the totally safe, and ultimately creatively empty route and have simply given us a quasi-rehash of the post-Jedi EU. This was ultimately what I feared when we first started hearing rumors about actors returning as Force ghosts, and rumors about the Emperor returning, or even Vader. It sounds like George or JJ had somebody from marketing whispering in their ear about statistics and polling they had done that showed a new sequel had to have "X" character, or little girls responded by a 52% majority that they wanted to see "X" character.

QuangoFett and Visitant like this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Wait, but if the ending of ROTJ is still a happily ever after ending, then we really can't have any new conflict at all.

I guess that means it's no longer a happily ever after ending.

It's now a happy ending and then this happened story.

13. DarthAusteros

DarthAusteros Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2011
    Did Episode 5 destroy episode 4's happy ending?

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    GL has never really cared about marketing in that way if he did the story of his films would be very different.

The real difference this time is that he constructed a trilogy that he might not actually care about in any way except on a marketing basis (that is as a sales tool to Disney). These aren't going to be his movies in that if he had really wanted to do them then he would have done them himself or cut some deal with FOX or whoever to fund them while he controlled them in an executive way.

So it's possible he just gave them something to excite them in a way that he knew would be very exciting to them but not anything he'd want to do.

Gallandro likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    One could argue that Episode 5 didn't necessarily have an ending.;)

Django Fett likes this.
  16. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    You're arguing two separate issues. In 1977 Star Wars was envisioned as a series, but Lucas had no clue whether there would be more films, so naturally he would construct a film with a definite conclusion, but leave just enough wiggle room to continue with his series. Hence the story continues in Episode V.

However somewhere along the way he essentially decided he had enough of Star Wars and wanted to conclude his Saga and wrapped up his primary plotline of Rebels vs. Empire/Luke vs.Vader. The end of ROTJ is very definite... the Empire and the Emperor have been destroyed. He further reinforced that theme when he went back and finished his Prequel Trilogy. You have now created this primary antagonist, Darth Sideous/Palpatine through all six film. Now he's dead and his glorious Empire is destroyed.

Suddenly backtracking and saying "oops the Empire was kind of destroyed... but not really," is just bad storytelling and runs the risk of cheapening the themes you created in the Skywalker Family Saga. It's like the Godfather III, while there are elements to the story that are intriguing, the Corleone Family saga concluded in Godfather II with Michael Corleone becoming the very thing he had promised in the first film he would never be... his father. Now we add this new film with an interesting theme (Michael must pay for the sins of his past), but at the end of the day the film feels forced, and like more of the same... it's unnecessary, and ultimately unsatisfying.

Maybe we can bring in Ewan McGregor to do a scene with Hamill:

[​IMG]

Luke: But you told me I was the only hope to destroy the Emperor and his Empire.

Ben: Well.... what I told you was true from a certain point of view. Look, Luke, lets be realistic. The Empire spans the galaxy; it has millions of troops and thousands of warships. Did you really think that by simply eliminating the Emperor you would crush his Empire? Get a clue son... your work is not done. Now you have to hunt down the remnants of the Empire. Oh, and by the way, there's a strong possibility that there may be more followers of the Sith out there... so you may be revisiting that battle.

Luke: What?!?!? Wait, what was the point Ben? My father sacrificed himself to save me and destroy the Emperor..

Ben: Wellll.....

Now if you can find a way to reintroduce a new version of an Empire it could work. Again, using the idea of an external threat to the Republic, maybe a few worlds feel the Republic isn't strong enough to respond, and in their fear, form a "reconstituted" Empire under a strong military leader... Now our heroes are forced to confront both the external bad guys and this "new" Empire. But simply falling back on the Empire and more Sith-lite bad guys to propel your story is just pandering.

Yancy

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Well Irving Kirshner argued that his film didn't have an ending.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's....what I just said....

D'an likes this.
  19. DarthAusteros

DarthAusteros Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2011

You kind of just made my point. Like you said. When A new hope was originally constructed, it wasn't known if there would be any more Star Wars movies of the same nature. Eventually of course there was and George evolved the story in a way that made sense and moved the plot forward without destroying what was previously accomplished. The Clone Wars and Rebels along with RoTJ have left plenty of wiggle room for expanded Star Wars movies.

When ROTJ came out Lucas from what we know had no intentions of making a ST, so we got the ending that we got. Now, there is a sequel trilogy. So, it's up to the makers of VII to move the story forward that still gives the ending of RoTJ meaning. We have no definite knowledge about the plot of VII right now, so we don't know how they'll do that, all we can do is speculate.

People have seen/reported imperial sets etc at pinewood, does that automatically mean they're still the bad guys.? Maybe they're reformed back into a peaceful government. Maybe VII starts off with Luke/ the rebels finishing off the last imperial remnant. We just don't know where they're going with the story.

If we see the Empire being just as strong as they were in the OT, ruling the entire galaxy, installing fear in all of the citizens, having weapons like the death star, then yeah I'd agree with the people who feel that RoTJs ending would be undermind. But if we see a empire that's crippled, obviously weaker, fighting for control of sectors in the galaxy, basically if we see that Anakin killing Sidious and the Rebels blowing up the second death Star really messed up the Empire, even though they're still around, I'll be OK with it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    two words. Yuzahaan Vong!!!!

D'an likes this.
  21. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
  22. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
  23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello everyone. I must say when I first read this rumour of the plot outline for the new trilogy I didn't instantly dismiss it, but I was quite skeptical about it (obviously). But the more I've thought about it, I actually really like the idea. It doesn't sound too ridiculously contrived, and there's some good, solid basis there for a cracker of a story. IF it turns out to be kosher that is?

24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Sure.

We could see a Luke that went into exiled in Episode VII and then someone come and ask him :

"One last fight, for an old friend"....:)

Satipo likes this.
  25. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I could buy into Luke keeping a low profile; but what about his sister? He could potentially have some extended family now. Did he not leave his forwarding address?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.