main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    These are the pieces that seem to agree between LR and MSW:
    And of course:

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Good post.

Don't they both also agree that Lupita and Adam will be part of this merc/hunter group?

3. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Devin Faraci from Badassdigest did say he heard the Lupita and Stormtroopers rumors too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Immortiss, Darth_Zidious and Dra--- like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would prefer something more menacing than stormtroopers v.2.0.

D'an likes this.
  5. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    That's a good point. Yes, they agree on that as well.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Eric Geller

Eric Geller TFN Staff Emeritus star 1 VIP

Mar 2, 2005
    The Episode VII set story that included the Star Destroyer bit is not the report I'm referring to.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You mean the Star Destroyer wreckage story? Because that sounds pretty cool.

8. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Actually Kotor 2 is ripe with good concepts. Female lead? check. Female villain? check. Sith genuinely helping the jedi without stoping to be a sith? check. Triumvirate of bad guys? check. Villain being the mentor of the lead? check. Strong story arc for all other characters especially the droids? check. Rebuilding the jedi order AND the republic? Double check.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  9. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

They don't necessarily have to be the same dim wits that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on Palpatine's payroll. They could simply be ONE system's personal armored militia. Mandalor had one.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I like that idea, and I'm hoping Abrams doesn't copy that element of the OT.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If the Sith appear in the ST, I hope that they follow the Rule of Two. The Rule of Two prevents an excees of lightsabers and makes the Sith more menacing (a group of only two getting so much done!).

However, a triumvirate would work as well for me.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    But I wouldn't mind a Sauron and a nine Black Riders group, also. :)

Just, please, no army of Sith...or Jedi, for that matter. :(

dyous87 and HegoDamask like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly how I feel.

14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Are all armies boring or just Sith and Jedi armies?

If so, it will be difficult to have a war. Wars are boring because all the soldiers aren't special or menacing?

15. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I've read on various parts of this forum that not only are armies boring, so are Jedi, Sith, Imperials and pretty much any EU character/baddie one cares to name.

So now I know that some forum members are going to be bored by this movie no matter what...;)

EDIT: Also forgot to mention Mandalorians, Boba Fett, classic Star Wars Planets, The Original Trio coming back... [face_whistling]

16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Everything is boring. I plan on sleeping all the way through Episode VII then proclaim it the best movie ever made.

17. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Max von Sydow as "the Tarkin of the ST" or possibly the Empire's latest emperor.

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Personally, I think people are confused about what makes movies exciting. It's not two Sith or 800 explosions and effects -- it's drama.

We will care about an army if the writer and director have paid attention to creating drama.

For example, if Luke is surrounded by 100 Sith, I'll care because I care what happens to him. It's difficult to make us care about 100 Jedi we don't know, but not impossible. A good writer could have made us care more, making us feel the loss of such noble warriors (not boring stoics).

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    ^^^ Very true which is why the ST cannot simply be a dramatization of a video game. Drama-combined with some creativity and some personal connection and character that is.

dyous87, HegoDamask and Dra--- like this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In the Empire thread, many are fighting hard against the Empire surviving ROTJ. If the Empire didn't survive, why would the Sith survive? The Imperial ideology was, if anything, more widespread than the Sith ideology. The Empire was a galaxy-wide government while the Sith was a forgotton cult of just two people.

HegoDamask and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    When you say many, do you mean about 15 people?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I have a suspicion that much of the forums infighting over the Empire's existence is a reactionary, tribal mentality. Tribal mentality can affect both sides of a debate but it seems to influence the anti side of the debate the most significantly. People will see somebody criticise something, imagine that is the cool trend and follow it. The tribal mentality is not something I am immune to I would like to add - it is in all of us. Anyway, as the argument flows, the two camps solidify and the people within them sink into the comfortable mentality that they are pro-Empire or anti-Empire and allow little to challenge that view. The pros will support other pros and the antis will support other antis but with little real dialogue between the sides.

For instance: yesterday in the Empire ST thread, a guy just came in and likened people's "obsession" with a post Endor Empire as illness. What kind of a contribution is that? Not all the anti-Empire folks a reactionaries and tribalists I would like to add - posters like D'an make decent contributions and have some interesting things to say on the subject but I have seen little other compelling anti-Empire arguments

23. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

And why people didn't care about the prequels. A completely disposable clone army fighting agains a completely disposable droid army all the while we know who will survive all three movies.
    Drama is important, but so is tension. Sure, Luke was powerless against the Emperor and it was Vader who killed him, but still it was in a sense Luke's doing. And we need a credible threat otherwise there is no tension in the battle scenes and the people stop caring.

Dra--- and dyous87 like this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Does anyone trully believe that 'The' Empire, as we knew it, will be back in the ST? Of course we don't know what the plot of Ep VII is going to be, let alone the ST... so it's all speculative, but logic/common sense tells me that Ep VII can't really pick up 30 years later than ROTJ with the imperials still running an Empire and in control of the galaxy. I think that would be a regressive narrative move, would create a rather large continuity problem, and would ultimately hurt the ST (IMO). The GFFA is so rich with opportunities and potential, I can’t for a second believe that we’re just going to get Rebels Vs Empire for another 3 movies... regardless of any nostalgic tendencies that JJ may have.

However, that does not exclude the notion of an imperial force, imperial coalition/confederation or simply a lone imperial stronghold/base/outpost etc. etc. guarding some dark secret. So perhaps we should, rather than argue about the notion of a fully functioning Empire, discuss/speculate how imperials could best serve the film? In my view, the remaining imperials aligning themselves to a dark force (be it the Brotherhood of Darkness, Nightsisters etc), to the point where the Sith affiliations are more overt, is the most logical way to move these particular concepts on. After 6 movies, it’s really the one thing that has never been seen in a movie i.e. multiple Sith and/or multiple lightsabre wielding combatants on opposing sides. Even if I didn’t like the idea (which I do), I think it’s the most natural step to take for a new Star Wars movie... We’ve had several flavours of big ground battles, we’ve had big space battles with capital ships and fighters.... what next that hasn’t been done in a Star Wars film?

You're never going to get far with that type of rebuttal. I, and many others, cared about what was going on in the PT. That we knew the outcome of events was obviously an obstacle in creating real tension, but that's the challenge of any prequel or story that concerns characters where one knows their fate, or knows that they will survive e.g. Peter Parker, Superman etc.

Darth_Zidious likes this.
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'll just say that I'm not pro-Empire so much as pro-good story, and I just wish some fans would give the film a chance rather than writing it off prematurely for reason I believe to be superficial.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.