main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Empire in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by purplerain, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    It's entirely possible that many star destroyers and other imperial vehicles are still in use. Who is using them though is intriguing !!!

I doubt after ROTJ they would simply all be destroyed.

2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If the empire were defeated at the end of ROTJ and they were then splintered throughout the galaxy..... Then I can't see their ships changing much from what we saw in the OT. Who would fund their shipyards and development if they are now breaking apart? For that reason I can see their ship designs staying the same and still being used.

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Oh yeah, I agree the ships would still be around and in use. I guess the way the tweet read "Imperial stage", I actually equated it to actual "Imperial Navy", meaning the actual Imperial Navy is hanging around.

It is intriguing to know that we will see tie fighters and star destroyers. Seems like this news is big.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Palpatine and Vader are gone, would the various members of the Rebellion want to continue the war?

5. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Absolutely, especially if there is resistance. Sounds like even though the statue of Palps was ripped down at the end of ROTJ, the Empire continued. Who is the new emperor?

6. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    "Freedom is Restored in the Galaxy" - is the tagline underneath the ROTJ banner on the Star Wars website.

Yes, freedom had been restored but for how long??

Who's to say freedom didn't go down the crapper 30 years later?

7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    There will be Imperial Loyalists like there are still Nazis today, but I think the Empire surrendered and signed a peace treaty with the Rebels. I think there will be an even bigger threat out there. A new army controlled by a Sith.

8. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    MAYBE what the set snoopers are seeing isn't technically Imperial. Maybe they're not even bad guys. Maybe they're calling it Imperial because they don't know what else it could be.

"Hey, JJ- is that thing over there Imperial??"
    "Um... Sure. Yup that's what it is."
    "Sweet! I'm gonna post my rampant speculations online now!"

9. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    That depends a great deal on what you mean by not technically Imperial. If they saw a Stormtrooper helmet then they saw a Stormtrooper helmet. No mistakes possible there I wouldn't have thought. Seeing Imperial hardware doesn't necessarily mean that the Empire is still alive and kicking in the ST time period. For all we know, the ST characters might be raiding an abandoned Imperial supply cache. But I think it's more or less inconceivable that there won't be some sort of Imperial presence in the ST - partly because of its OT significance and partly because of these set rumours. What that presence will look like in 2015 though is ultimately anyone's guess.

10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

It's called Star WARS, not Star Peace.

The end of ROTJ wasn't about completely defeating the Empire, it was the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. Yes, the Emperor died but that's one victory in a GALACTIC CIVIL WAR.

11. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Made my day=D=

Satipo likes this.
  12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Couldn't agree more. Why does anyone want to see the New Republic governing properly? I almost fell asleep typing that.

Dra--- and Bob Octa like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Would be nice to have a competent government for once. But no galactic government until the end of the ST.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No government at all! Everyone is free and happy! Yaaaaay

15. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Free and happy? I think you've got the wrong universe there.

16. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    The Republic stood for a thousand years at the time of AOTC, it became the Empire in ROTS. You can only imagine the Empire/Republic expanded even larger in the 25/30 years between ROTS and Rebels/ANH. There's no way a thousand year old Republic will just vanish after ROTJ. It'll take a lot longer than thirty years to clear out even remnants. That's why the whole "New Republic" angle of the EU always came off as a bit too hopeful.

17. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

The Roman Empire was defeated, did that make the world peaceful? There are many other enemies out there in the Star Wars universe who pose a great threat.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

It still took more than 30 years to completely eliminate all traces Roman Empire.

19. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Was it? My understanding of the fall of Rome is this: the western half ceased to be Rome in 476 AD after Romulus Augustulus was deposed and the usurper refused to take the western throne. The eastern half carried on for another thousand years.

Speaking of which Eastern Roman Empire=Imperial Remnant hmmm?

ManaByte likes this.
  20. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner here. The Eastern Roman Empire is absolutely what the Episode VII Empire is likely modeled after.

Dra--- and Lord Chazza like this.
  21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    People's obsession with the Empire being a threat in EP7 almost comes off [removed]. It kind of makes you want to slowly hold your hands up, raise your eyebrows, and say "oooooh kay-whatever".

Mod edit: Too much.

22. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    I feel the same way about people's attempts at stifling discussion with poorly placed insults.

23. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest reason why the Empire still has a good chance of existing 30 years on is that any New Republic that forms won't be an overwhelming force. The PT and TCW showed a galaxy that was fractured and already questioning the necessity of a dominant republic. People keep bringing up the quick fall of the Nazi's as a parallel to the Empire. But Germany was always going to be overwhelmed by the USA and USSR in an extended war. They were a fraction of the size of their enemies.

It is entirely possible that the rebels wouldn't be able to rally the support and resources to overwhelm the Empire. After all, if a system wanted a centralized galactic government they might as well stick with the Empire. The costs for joining the alliance might be immediately tangible in the form of imperial retaliation. All the alliance has to offer is the idealistic promise of a less corrupt and more democratic government. And the really vital element in all of this is that plenty of systems are going to have no interest in joining a New Republic. They may say thank you very much for weakening the Empire, but many won't want to spend the time and effort to finish the job.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    People say that "Sith is an idea", but what about "Empire is an idea"? The Imperial ideology was more widepread than the Sith ideology. The Imperial ideology was about order while the Sith ideology was about chaos. If one of the two ideologies was to survive, there's no doubt that it would be the Imperial ideology.

25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Disagree that the Sith ideology wasn't about order through oppression. They created the Empire after all. :p

Anyway, one reason people want the Empire back is because it worked well in the OT. Much better than whoever the Republic was fighting in the PT (yawn).

Of course other antagonists could work too, but people love the Empire and how it creates a struggle for democracy. It makes it a story about freedom, which is universal.

Newness for the sake of newness is more overrated than essentials we know work.

Still, if we do get the Empire again, I hope it's transformed in some way. Even just in terms of superficial qualities like visual aesthetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.