main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Cheerleaders in sport

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jun 15, 2014.

?

Cheerleaders in sport

1. Yea

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Nay

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Last time I was in this thread we were making jokes about the exploitative nature of collegiate athletics. How on Earth did we get to long form debates about "public masturbatory activity?"

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Bashing the bishop. Castling the King. Smothering mate. Pushing the wood. Pinning the Queen.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Masturbation in a public sporting arena, totally would be an act of sexual violence. By yourself or in the presence of consenting adults, hey, no problemo! Grand old time! It's the accusation of watching cheerleaders equals public sporting area masturbation. That is being accused of an act of sexual violence which is disgusting.

That is literally an accusation in the post, word for word, it is something that happened.

I agree the women are being objectified for viewing pleasure and I'm not trying to defend it on that level. It's about going beyond the rage of the discussion into malice when it's not within the realms of the topic.

The personal attack of saying watching an activity that can be constructed as objectification of women which therefore means that you masturbate in public is a horrible thing to accuse another person of doing.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Where is the violence part? Are you punching the cheerleaders while doing the five knuckle shuffle?

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Sexual violence would be if someone is masturbating in public. It's not physical violence (unless the person has reallllly good aim) but it's still an emotionally violent act.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It's funny that these women clearly enjoy what they do. Ask them if they feel objectified.

In the same sense are women objectifying the male players on the court or field?

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why would this be our standard for things? We have the direct testimony of the viewers. Several people have said that they enjoy watching cheerleaders because they are "sexy." Regardless of whether anyone feels objectified or not, we in fact know that is what's happening.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ever read Hamlet, Big Al?

9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Because if they don't give a ****, why should I?

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    For any women reading, I'm totes fine with being objectified.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    also i don't know how clear it is that they enjoy it when looking like they enjoy it is obligatory to their job.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If you wanna look at it butterfly effect style how the cheerleaders can actually be participatory in the sporting event: if a cheerleader walks by, people cheer (for various reasons, objectification of the women or the fact that someone is waving a pom-pom so you cheer), cheers increase in the stadium and/or in the general vicinity of the wide receiver who hears the crowd cheering, decides to leg it out harder down the sideline after the ball is handed off because, hey, people are cheering for me, catches the ball, wins the game. Horray for cheering in general at your sporting event, it won the game! Well, not really, but the whole "energized by the crowd" is officially a thing for players. Which cheerleaders encourage the crowd to do.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think that stripper totally digs me! I can tell from that last lap dance!

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "...in American sports, which are **** by comparison with real sports anyway"

There, I finished the sentence for you.

Note that at the moment, the biggest and most important sporting event in the world is taking place. I can't recall seeing cheerleaders there?

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Women need to be objectified in order for your team to win the game?

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ...if the game is actually going on, why the **** are the crowd looking at people wandering the sideline? I don't understand you people.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not really. But if objectification causes more cheering which then causes the guy to run faster and win, that's a nice side effect.

In between plays, cheerleaders walk amongst the stands, wave the crowd, cause cheering, etc. Huddles are a solid couple of seconds!

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    These replies are going to cause Al to do some serious angry beating off.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    See, now you're just being mean.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You know what it is, though, Diggy? They need cheerleaders to convince the crowd the "football" they've just seen was actually any good, and to counter the flagrant homoeroticism of a bunch of men in padding and leggings fondling each other's bottom with pretty ladies inciting them to cheer.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What is wrong with you

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Next thing you know, Vivec, you'll tell me that keeping the calendar from 1996 up in my garage because Miss July, reclining wantonly on a Ducatti, has a great rack is somehow sexist.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    But hey, if comfort women also allow our soldiers to fight better and have a clearer mind in the battlefield (in a hostile place they don't want to be), then it's a nice side effect!

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There is a giant gulf of difference between a cheerleader getting people to cheer at a game and soldiers raping "comfort women". It's not even in the same ballpark, sport, or league. It's not relevant to the topic to throw around rhetoric like that.

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, the point of hyperbole is to present a more controversial example of the same logic to show why that logic doesn't work. What paet are you not getting.

Ender Sai likes this.