main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Cheerleaders in sport

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jun 15, 2014.

?

Cheerleaders in sport

1. Yea

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Nay

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Well, sure, in the same way that Elliot Rodger's misogyny can be dismissed as linked to his mental health state and not as part of a systemic issue with the way our society treats women.

You are upset at the notion people may object to a bunch of women being displayed for your amusement and to get the bloody pumping. You no doubt resent the notion it's lowest common denominator bull**** to have to have cheerleaders in order to get the yokels at The Game to cheer, no?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm talking about cheering a sporting event, you bring up a sad, shameful thing that happened to women in history and draw a direct line in between the two wherein one action does not correlate to the other at all. Cheering for cheerleaders does not equal rape of comfort women. You are bringing in something that is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Nope! I absolutely agree it is lowest common denominator pandering. It gets people cheering. I am a yokel who cheers at sporting events for the aforementioned sporting event and the aforementioned cheerleaders. Sometimes cheering actually helps win the game. Players talk about the effect of how the crowd is into the game ups their own game constantly.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your example was specifically while the game was in play, or you worded it horribly.

My football team, Liverpool, has won more trophies than your hand egg team will win in the next two hundred years, with not a single cheerleader in sight. Because the crowd cheers on the team, not a distraction. It's only American sports that need cheerleaders, why is this? Why can't you, with or without cheerleaders, create some thing like this to spur on your team?

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell, cheerleaders main purpose is simply to give women something to do at sporting events. They'd entire rest of the world does not find this necessary.

DarthTunick and Ender Sai like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your pulling the plonker is going to have an epic finish.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Every few years, the British and Irish Lions team will tour the Rugby playing world for a series of test matches. The team comprises the headbutty goodness of the Scottish; the heady traditions of the English; the close harmony singing of the hirsute Welsh, and the token inclusion of the Irish (trolololol).

Last year, on their 125th Anniversary, they toured Australia in a 3 match series which they won 2-1.

Even on the other side of the planet, we have an immodest number of Britons living here and even more came out for the series.

Unless you've experienced it, you've no idea what it's like to be in a stadium as the home team, see a sea of red and white, and hear tens of thousands of people singing in support of their team. It's daunting, it's moving, and it works in favour of the team with the most cheers.

Funnily enough, the British fans didn't need to eyebang girls in order to be reminded to cheer...

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I hated playing rugby at school, can't bear to watch it, but **** me it's better than American football.

Saintheart likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There's pauses in North American football when they take huddles and so forth, the clock is still counting, so the game is going on but there's actual, like, not a game happening at that point just killing clock. At which point, cheerleaders turn to the spectators and encourage cheering in the crowd for those brief seconds where play is not actually happening but the game is still technically ongoing. It's not like soccer where the is no stoppage in play.

I'm glad your team won! Go you!

I restate:

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Scrum.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    My exposure to rugby pretty much entirely consisted of watching Invictus. Okay flick. That Matt Damon sure can emote!

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    On average, in football, the ball is in play for 63 minutes. Taking into account injury time, that means for over thirty minutes the ball is not in play. At half time, there is a fifteen minute break. There is also time before the game. All of these could conceivably have people dancing around to entertain the crowd (I'm aware there are male cheerleaders, but not at the professional sporting level I think I'm right in saying). But it's not needed, or wanted.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think cheerleaders are needed or necessary at all and I agree it is lowest common denominator pandering. But they are an element of the sport, at least at venues in my country, and one of the various things cheerleaders do (ie. facilitating cheering) can have a positive effect upon the outcome of the game.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Where is the evidence of that?

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Players like cheering, they often reference how the energy of the crowd allowed them to make plays. One of the things cheerleaders do is encourage spectators to cheer. Well, moreso.

15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Cheerleading is the objectification of women. It may or may not have been created for those reasons but that is what it is now. And thus all civilized individuals must shun and demand the practice be ended as they would for any activity women take part in where their objectification is the primary response.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You also said it's the lowest common denominator^

Isn't that a greater issue than scoring more? Again, no other country requires cheerleaders in any sport, as far as I know.

And you been to games, so let me ask, what do the cheerleaders do when the opposition has the ball? Surely that shouting they cause would encourage the oppo? Does the opposition bring cheerleaders to the away games?

And you didn't provide anything to suggest there is greater cheering when cheerleaders are involved.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't believe appealing to a lowest common denominator necessarily makes something bad. When the opposition has the ball either the cheerleaders for the home team don't respond or they turn to the fans and encourage them to boo and jeer. I also do not believe that cheering is greater or louder or more raucous when cheerleaders are involved. However, what they can do is encourage people to cheer (Person not cheering, cheerleader encourages cheering, person is now cheering.) which, in turn, can inspire players on the field, who only hear the cheering not the specific actions of that person cheering only because they did it to possibly get the attention or impress the pretty cheerleader. It's not as if without cheerleaders nobody would ever cheer, of course they would.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ****ing lol.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Apologize. Right now.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Blow me.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I barely know you! Romance me a bit first, geez.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Al you're a lost cause. I've done all I can, enjoy the ridicule you so richly deserve. And your angry palm pumping. And your guns, because I assume you have multiple.

Peace out.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

You're nauseating... I just don't know what else to say. Your posts make me physically ill.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

V-2 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Don't own guns, never have, never want to, never will. Canadians aren't as obsessed with guns as Americans are.

I apologize that you are having a physiological reaction to message board posts.