main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Absinthe, anyone?

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Oh god NO. I had a bad one night stand with that guy once. [face_laugh]

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sounds like there's a story here... my curiosity has been piqued. ;)

I almost wish I had an interesting story about my first encounter with him. Instead, I just got really, really drowsy and slept the whole rest of the afternoon.

4. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    So much for the portrayal of absinthe in Moulin Rogue.

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It's illegal in the U.S. apparently. Not that I'm in a hurry to try it out, mind...

...'shrooms might be cool, though. ;)

6. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    A modern day Han Solo running absinthe would be an interesting take on fanfiction...(jk)

7. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Not anymore! It became legal here in 2007, not too long after I first tried it in Germany.

As for Moulin Rouge vs. reality, the toxicity and psychotropic properties of absinthe have been greatly exaggerated. Thujone (the chemical in wormwood said to have all the wacky effects) is really only toxic if you have huge quantities of it (the amount in absinthe isn't really enough to hurt anyone); in large doses it can cause muscle spasms, but nothing more, I guess one could say, picturesque than that. The mind-altering effects are really due more to the fact that it's very, very alcoholic—usually about 45–75% alcohol by volume, but even then it's pretty much always drunk watered down rather than straight.

(I should also say for the record that I rarely, if ever, drink alcohol; I've only had absinthe a few times and regard it only as an extremely rare treat. A lot of what I find attractive about absinthe is the ritual and accoutrements involved with its preparation—almost more so than the actual taste.)

8. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999

Oh it's not much of a story. A friend of mine and I decided to try it. We went too fast. No hallucinations, just one giant blackout and one helluva hangover. ;)

Findswoman likes this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I would love to try absinthe. I can already imagine the flavor. Seeing as how I've drank some nasty, nasty beer before, I'd probably be able to stomach it.

My liquor tolerance on the other hand...

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Well, if it be the will of the Mists that we're both at C7 next spring, or that I make it to Pennsylvania later this year, I shall see what can be arranged. :D

If any of those nasty, nasty beers tasted like anise or licorice, that's about the taste of it—though the watering down and the sugar help make it not quite so bad.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That sounds tastier than those nasty pissy beers!

12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    It's definitely better than beer, at least in my estimation, but I've never been much of a beer person. One can think of it as a very, very strong liqueur.

13. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    I've been enjoying hard lemonade lately. I'm too lazy to make a margarita.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I hardly drink at all. Not my thing. Puts Cushy to sleep anyway. :p

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, they had some absinthe during the "Carnival of Cultures" in Berlin-Kreuzberg, one of the biggest street festivals each year here in Germany´s capital. But my husband DarthUncle and I were so stuffed with Bosnian food & an Indian yoghurt drink that we walked on. Wow, that is two weeks ago by now. Time flies.

My weekend also was over so quickly. Cem_Fel/ Shawnkyr came to visit me and we had much fun together. We roamed places like the Spandau library, various street markets, the English book shop at the "Kulturhaus Dussmann" plus the halls of "Galeria Kaufhof" at the famous Alexanderplatz to check out the SW LEGO.

:D

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I could never drink beer. I always thought it tasted nasty. I loved drinking champagne, but I stopped drinking years ago in an effort to support my husband's attempt at sobriety. I figured it would be hard to quit unless the home was alcohol free. I sometimes drink the non-alcoholic sparkling juice. That stuff tastes great.

Quitting alcohol was easy for me. I tried to quit drinking diet soda but failed miserably. Caffeine is not something easy to cut out of your system. The headaches were horrific. I finally decided I could have that one vice. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs...so I don't feel guilty about my caffeine addiction.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Caffeine isn't a drug—it's a vitamin! :D

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A vitamin I need more of because I've been really freakin' tired today. Bleeeeeehhh...

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *Runs in. Stops. Tries to play it cool. Fails.* You guys!! I can finally come hang out with the cool kids! My 30th birthday was last Friday! :D

Now if only my muse would let me complete something before being distracted. [face_sigh]

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Happy Birthday mavjade, although I should warn you now: women are apparently allowed to lie about their age once they turn twenty-nine, so why should I believe that you're thirty when you could simply be twenty-nine but with a years' experience?

;)[face_devil]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Happy Birthday, Mav!

23. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAV!

Ready for your birthday kiss? :*

Because we can arrange that.

[​IMG]

mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone! :)
    LOL! Naw... I'm perfectly happy with 30. When I turned 25 I was very distraught about it and thought I would be about 30, but nope, perfectly happy to no longer be a 20-something. :)

Nyota's Heart and Findswoman like this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Happy birthday to you, mavjade! And heartiest of welcomes to the club! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.