main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That's what I was getting at with my last post in here. It makes no sense to break a tie between teams 1 and 2 by comparing team 1's record against teams 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 to team 2's record against teams 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. For breaking seeding ties within the conference, conference record makes sense because both records represent the same six teams. But for the Commissioner's Trophy and for draft position, conference record really shouldn't be used at all; for those it should just be head-to-head, then point differential, then points scored (or allowed, I forget which is used here).

Jedi Gunny likes this.
  2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I agree 100%. Conference record only matters for intraconference tiebreakers anyways.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    If the Miners lose a three way 8-1 overall record tiebreak after beating the other two teams, expect them to lead the charge at the Board of Governors meeting to change the rule. :p

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll be happy to get out of that meeting with a team that's not being demoted to the GCLA. :(

Also, I've been looking back at the discussions had in here over the last few months on the college game, and I have a few questions for everyone:

1. When should I post final college results (i.e. the final standings of the S16 season)?
    2. How many teams make the tournament field? I've had eight teams in the past (with the Carnation Bowl winner taking one of those spots, plus a jumble of other power conference winners and wild cards), but I've had thoughts of going with 16 or as high as 64 (like the NCAA tournaments). Any druthers on this? This may affect draft stock of certain players.
    3. More college coverage?

TAGS to Bardan_Jusik, CPL_Macja, jcgoble3, Runjedirun, Trieste, Vehn, Tim Battershell, Rebecca_Daniels

5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Do you want my answers as a player or as Commissioner of the Bak10? :D

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    As a player. I think Kerry's had enough say in things already. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    1. Around week 7 or 8 of the ELL season, in line with how the college football regular season ends before the NFL regular season.
    2. Enough to allow for possible Cinderellas, without taking the emphasis off the powerhouse teams. 16 or 24 would be a good number; 32 would be OK, but kind of stretching it. 64 is way too many IMO.
    3. YAS PLS!!!!!!!!! :D

Vehn, CPL_Macja and Runjedirun like this.
  8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    24 would be an interesting dynamic, because it works well for the FCS.

And what kinds of coverage? I can only do so much, obviously.

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Anything! I have nothing specific in mind. Maybe start by posting some of the stuff here on the forum instead of just on the wiki, because I rarely look at the wiki these days. Case in point: I think I still need to add my draftees from the last two years to my roster there... or do I? I don't know. :p

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I could very easily do a stock watch, but that would be a one-time thing prior to the Draft, and only key in on a few prospects.

Plus, as I've come to find out, people don't always appreciate it when I Joel Embiid someone they want right before the Draft. ;)

11. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    1. When should I post final college results (i.e. the final standings of the S16 season)? Anytime between now and before the Galactic Cup :p
    2. How many teams make the tournament field? I've had eight teams in the past (with the Carnation Bowl winner taking one of those spots, plus a jumble of other power conference winners and wild cards), but I've had thoughts of going with 16 or as high as 64 (like the NCAA tournaments). Any druthers on this? This may affect draft stock of certain players. 24!
    3. More college coverage? Some would be great, don't saturate us ;)

12. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Sorry about my lack of game activity (it hasn't been due to lack of wanting, trust me). I've tried several times to just sit down and draft up a post, but have either been too distracted or too exhausted to get a complete thought out of my head. Now that I am done with school I should have some time at night. In the past I could write my posts at work on my jumpdrive and then either email them to my phone or post them from my home computer. However, I now have a new position at work in our operations center. The terminal I work at has a sealed tower that does not allow for the attaching of externals and my email is watchdogged now (guess that's the price for getting a job that works hand-in-hand with the IT Dept and high dollar transactions.)

Hope to get a catch-up post done tonight or tomorrow.

Now back to the matters at hand...

1. When should I post final college results (i.e. the final standings of the S16 season)? Some time between week 7 and 9
    2. How many teams make the tournament field? 32
    3. More college coverage? Yes please... perhaps a weekly news blurb like Trieste 's daily news update.

Runjedirun likes this.
  13. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Okay I wanted to throw this out there about the Commissioner's Trophy. We have two conferences, why don't we celebrate each conference champion with an individual trophy from the commissioner. What I'm saying, sorry, very tired, is that Lokensgaard presents a Commissioner's Trophy to the winner of the Solo Conference and the winner of the Skywalker Conference. I would find that more meaningful as right now I don't really give two hoots about the Commissioner's Trophy in its current format.

Just a thought....

1. Sometime before the end of the ELL season (week 7-9)
    2. 24 teams
    3. Yes, more college stuff.

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm getting the idea that having the college stuff up soon is what most people want.

I'll get it up next week, if y'all don't mind too much. So after the Week 8 scores, and we'll go from there.

And that's a very interesting idea CPL_Macja. And to you as well, jcgoble3

If anyone has any ideas on specifics I can do for the college game (i.e. what kinds of things you want to see), please PM me.

As far as the Commissioner's Trophy, I kinda like it the way it is. Top seeds get the home field advantage anyways, which seems like enough of a reward. But there could be separate regular season champion trophies, like are done in colleges before conference tournies.

15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I like having a single Commissioner's Trophy for the regular season. We already have separate trophies for conference champions in the playoffs, and with the small league we have, four "conference champion" trophies is too much. The regular season conference champions already get a first-round bye, which nobody else gets. Plus having only one Commissioner's Trophy means that you were the best in the entire league, so in a way it serves as the regular season equivalent of the Galactic Cup, which is something I don't want to lose.

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Besides, our illustrious GM wouldn't want to miss out on getting yet another one of them this year and having Alana ignore it because she's been there and done that already. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    What I find crazy is that there are three teams tied at the top of the entire league, with the potential for us to end up with a five way tie! I also find it crazy that the team with the best defense also has almost the worst offense, and is still in the hunt for the playoffs.

Vehn likes this.
  18. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm still figuring out the college stuff so my answer to all three questions is Yes. Even when it doesn't make sense, the answer is Yes.

And I'm gone until Sunday afternoon. Another camp, this time with 15-17 year old girls, less work than the 10 year olds. So if you need me... just don't need me until Sunday.

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    My answers to your questions, Jedi Gunny:
    1. I'm not very particular on this point. End-ish of season, as has been suggested, is good and raises no objections from me. It depends on how you want to pace it with ELL playoffs and how much time you want those results to percolate with people for draft planning. This is more involved for some players than for others.
    2. For me the question boils down to whether we want the college playoffs to be more like whatever the BCS is going to be now or March Madness. Two vastly different systems. I am okay with the 8 we have now, but an expansion to 16 would make sense.
    3. Anything you want to write is good. A weekly-ish update isn't a bad idea. The Big Board is currently enough of an update for me.
    I'm not going to do a regular season conference championship trophy for each conference. I'm not aware of any major sports league that has that, though some teams do raise banners as the regular season champion on their own.

20. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

1. Now
    2. Eight sounds good. More than 16 is too much in my opinion, but whatever works for you
    3. Yes

[​IMG]

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    And now that this morning's headlines are up, I am going to try something radically different. Except it's not really. Kind of.

Two seasons ago I asked Vehn for permission to use the VCPD a little bit. He graciously agreed without asking why. The reason turned out to be for the eventual arrest of Ternardiel/Valerie. Well, Nar Shaddaa is his planet moon. The rules of the game state that you get to decide what happens on your planet, provided the impact doesn't have galactic repercussions (then you just have to ask me first). The rules also state that you get to decide what happens to your players. With the Ternardiel/Valerie trial, those two rules are in conflict.

Therefore, I am ceding my right to decide what happens to Ternardiel/Valerie to Vehn. He could make her go to jail forever and ever. He could let her go free to rollick and play with the Miners from here until forever. It just depends on what he thinks a jury on Nar Shaddaa would do to a girl who broke a window pane, stole some cleats, admits it all, and tried to do her best to do right later. Is she a hoodlum? Is she a good girl in a bad situation? I don't know. 12 (I think) beings on Nar Shaddaa will decide. They may be 12 Angry Beings or they may be beings who see their own story in her. Or they may all be angry Smuggler fans who aren't happy about having their championship ceremony spoiled by the Miners.

It's exciting! :D

22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

Good thing this didn't happen on Mandalore. [face_devil] We all know what their criminal justice system is like. :p

Loved the Vizsla post by the way. ^:)^

[​IMG]

Vehn likes this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh good! I hope you'd enjoy it. :)

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I don't think the Miners are doing too badly without her anyways, so it's not like any of this actually matters. ;)

Speaking of the college game, I'll see if I can get a new update in today. It'll be a test run, obviously.

And the planet rule is interesting because of how we've used other players's planets for stuff without asking permission in past years. This could open up a whole new can of worms.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, in that regard, I did ask Trieste (as GM) for permission before I staged Rosty Bassell's capture on Kashyyyk (an NPC planet). :)

EDIT: Jedi Gunny, I like the college headlines. :D Keep 'em coming!