main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Exact same plan

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The thing about that is you don't know if those details will be plot points. Pictures reveal a lot. To use Attack of the Clones as an example, there was a picture of Padme sitting at the Lars Homestead. This reveals that they go to the Lars Homestead. Once we're watching the movie, we don't know Anakin will go back to Tatooine, especially with Padme. Other examples... I've always wondered if I had I been spoiler-free about characters, would I have understood that Dooku was the same "Tyrannus" mentioned by Jango Fett when talking to Obi-Wan? I would liked to have felt the surprise and tried to figure things out once Sidious calls Dooku the name Tyrannus at the end. Basically, I want everything to be learned during that first viewing. Anyway, I still look at that forum but need to stop. So far I've seen new news on other sites and been curious and peeked beyond the "Star Wars" header in the trending stories column, and then come to theforce.net for me. If I can stop doing that, I'll be okay.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm going stay put now. Wish me luck. :(

I know and stormcloud8 like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As I recently posted in the "Spoiler Alert" thread...

Let's please be careful and not even give hints here as to the types of spoilers being discussed in the SA forum.

5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yup, I think I've left the 7SA forum for good now.

jaqen and stormcloud8 like this.
  6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am trying to get clean, as well. Two days without spoilers! One day at a time...

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    ^ But I'm now starting to feel like Jack Black in that movie Tropic Thunder, where he's all tied up to a tree.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I've taken up reading SW comic books to get my fix. The Dark Horse iPad app is a dangerous/expensive beast.

But eventually I will read all of them, and the craving will return.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I spoiled myself silly when AOTC came out. It ruined the movie for me. I can barely watch it nowadays. With ROTS I cut back a lot but was still spoiled a little.
    With Episode VII coming out I'm gonna try to stay as spoiler free as I can.

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Same with me: AOTC spoiled, which ruined the experience. Never again!

11. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I'm probably going to watch the first trailer then make the Non-spoiler forum my home. There's already some pretty in depth discussion and theories going on at the spoiler forum, so I might be spoiled already.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Yep. Spoilers do often damper my experience, even with good films/tv shows. I just hate going into things with major plot points floating around in my head.

Take Harry Potter. I was introduced to that series via the films and actually watched the first five before I ever picked up a single book. When I finally did, thanks to everyone telling me that the books were so much better, I finished Half Blood Prince right before the film of that book was released. I always enjoyed the Potter films, to various degrees, but having the book of HBP in my head right before seeing the film almost ruined the entire experience for me. That's how much I hate spoilers, that I'd rather read the book of a film AFTER I've seen the film. I find books hold up perfectly well when reading them after seeing the film it's based on, but not so much in reverse.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well the books are better in this regard. Kind of hard to complain about being spoiled.

14. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I despised the adaptation of HBP...probably as much as the third and fourth movies! OOTP, however, condensed what was a really long book, and told us the story we probably should've heard from the beginning.
    I spoiled myself silly on the first two prequel movies, and was determined not to repeat that on Episode III. Will it work for Episode VII? If I use social media there are a lot of chances I could get spoiled, but I think people were really angry about social media leaking details from the set, and I've noticed that some sites are putting up...'blinders' for those of us who don't want to get spoiled.

jaqen likes this.
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't think any of the Harry Potter films are bad movies in and of themselves, which is a great feat for a nearly 10 cycle film series. But definitely some adaptations are better than others. HBP was arguably the worst. But I actually have come to love the third film, despite it originally being my least favorite.

I wasn't spoiled on the PT, save maybe one or two major ones that I accidentally tripped upon. But there really wasn't much to truly spoil there, with it being a prequel and the overall outcome being known for decades. What's exciting about the ST, especially with it being removed from the old EU, is that for the first time in a very long time Star War as new ground to break. We have no real idea what's ahead and it would be a damn shame to ruin that experience by gorging on spoilers like some junkie.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  16. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah I agree the movies on the whole are pretty good, especially if you haven't read the books. The fact that they had most of the cast for all 8 movies is rather impressive, except for the transition to the Gambon Dumbledore. Gambon's Dumbledore was okay I suppose, but he seemed a lot younger than he was supposed to. I don't know about you, but when I read the books, I still imagine Dumbledore with Richard Harris' voice and appearance.
    Yes! 1000x this! I want this to be like 1983 for me, to go in not knowing what's going to happen, other than the trailers I see in the theater (or, more likely, online.)

I won't link to it here, but Mark Hamill did an interview for the Star Wars Weekends pretty recently, and one of the first things he said were his hopes that people try to remain spoiler free as much as possible. Actually, the more interviews I see of Mark Hamill, the more I like him as a person, and not just the guy who played Luke Skywalker.

jaqen likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm one of those people who LOVES Gambon's more edgy, spry Dumbledore. I typically look for films based off books to be strong adaptions, but still have their own unique qualities. I feel like Gambon was just the perfect man for the job for film Dumbledore. In a similar way that I think Alan Rickman was pitch perfect as film Snape, even though his characterization is different than book Snape (down to the fact that Rickman is way too old for Snape as he is in the books).

Harris I thought was the pitch perfect Dumbledore for the first film; he was incredible. As much as I love Gambon I'm glad he didn't launch Dumbledore off. Admittedly, for me at least, it's tough for me to watch him in Chambers. It's obvious he was an ill man, and I thought it was a bit too forgone to be as effective in the role as he should have been. Not sure if you're a Halloween series fan, but if so he kinda reminded me of Donald Pleasence in Halloween 6. Good to see him, but sad to see the ravages of time and illness.

I was a toddler when ROTJ was released. My first screen experience with a new Star Wars was Phantom Menace. Unlike so many I didn't hate it and actually enjoyed quite a a lot of it. But most of the major spoilers were revealed in the trailers. The movie offers interesting insight into the days "before the dark times, before the Empire", breathtaking vistas, a glimpse into the Jedi order, Palpatine's early rise, etc. Love all that. But none of it was truly fresh.

This new film? I can't even imagine sniffing around for spoilers. Once the real ones come out I wish I could basically see nothing about the film, save maybe a trailer, until December 2015.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    HBP is my least favorite book. The movie was good the first time but probably down there as well. Richard Harris is probably my favorite Dumbledore but Gambon was the action one.
    OOTP was my favorite movie.
    For DH part 1 I saw some of the scenes from the movie before it came out. That movie was a bit ruined for me. Knowing the details doesn't bother me but I guess seeing clips does.

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I had ROTS ruined for me in a few different ways. After that time I swore to myself – "never again!"

So this time around, I have a chance to do it right:

although I will say I am pretty loose on what I'm willing to know about, I don't want to know any specifics. I'm okay knowing the cast and who they're playing, any planets that show up, trailers and officially confirmed info, and a general plot synopsis. What I do not want to know is any plot specifics, twists, deaths, or surprise cameos.

I would imagine it might be a while before that stuff starts coming around, so I'm kind of hovering between the SA forum and here for now – until we get closer to the release date, which means I will migrate to this forum permanently.

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I remember completely spoiling Matrix Reloaded for myself prior to seeing that film, and regretted it. I forgot if I spoiled myself for AOTC, but for ROTS I definitely stayed away from spoilers. I've also stayed away from Episode VII spoilers, but that's more due to a lack of interest on my part ( :eek:) than me actually putting effort into avoiding spoilers.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is pretty much me, except I don't want a plot synopsis. Characters and setting are it.

I've been in a few 7SA threads lately; I stayed out for awhile then realized that at the moment we're looking at "speculation" and "more speculation". I'll be in here permanently by early 2015 if not sooner.

My AOTC experience is what led me to go spoiler-free for future projects. Reading the script before that movie sucked; I had built expectations for how each scene would play out and those didn't pan, and I didn't even have any good surprises to make up for that.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  22. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Is anyone else seeing the "trending" news about the soccer player named Hope Solo and thinking it is Star Wars-related? That keeps bugging me.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  23. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    You're not the only one...could you imagine the cops at her house? "Solo! Come out of there Solo! SOLO!"

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Agreed.

Spring of 2015 minutes when I would imagine I'd be on this forum permanently.

Back before AOTC, I wasn't resourceful enough yet to realize that I could search for all kinds of spoiler-ish details for the film online as much as a year in advance. The closest I got was seeing a fan made trailer about a year before it was released.

But for ROTS, I had three major things spoiled for me – the first was finding out that Anakin force chokes Padme. The second was finding out about Darth Vader screaming no when he finds out about Padmes death and laying waste of the medical chamber. That ruined a lot for me. And lastly, I was in a Barnes & Noble a couple months before it came out, and they had Star Wars display which included a revenge of the Sith calendar. That calendar showed a picture of Anakin holding crossed lightsabers in front of Dooku's head, which basically revealed to me how Anakin kills him. That one really angered me. And during the first time I saw the movie in theaters, I spent the whole time wondering when those scenes were going to show up.

I'm glad I have a chance now to see a new Star Wars movie and enjoy being completely surprised the first time I see it in theaters.

25. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I just realized I'm going to have to avoid going to the movies in most of 2015 to avoid the trailer. That won't be hard; I don't care about seeing The Avengers movie. I've only been to theaters twice this year and that's not just out of really wanting to see something but deciding to go just to go.