main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is Star Wars morality too black and white?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Polydroxol, May 28, 2014.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But what evidence is that?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The evidence being as noted, that they were both light and dark individually, but as noted in the episode, he had not fallen when the Jedi arrive.

3. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I agree, the morality may be a bit too plain and simple, let me take, for example, the Separatists and the Republicans, people like to paint all Separatists as unanimously "evil", except some Separatists were actually good, such as Mina Bonteri, former mentor of Padmé, Mina was "good", and she was also a loyal, proud Separatist, as a Separatist she viewed the Republic as corrupt, which, let's face it, the Senate largely was. However the Republic is portrayed is being the "good guys", despite the fact that many of the Republic senators were greedy and corrupt, and some, such as Mot-Not Rab, were downright overly nationalistic and militaristic, Mot-Not even called the Separatists "animals", I wouldn't exactly say he's a model senator.

Even Dooku, a Sith Lord, originally had good intentions, he was tired of the corruption in the Senate, and felt the Jedi were betrayed themselves and their beliefs by serving the politicians, which disillusioned him, the CIS was meant to be a replacement for the decrepit and corrupt Republic which he had lost faith in, this is backed up by what he said to Padmé, which I have quoted in my signature.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

And yet . . . even Padme was openly criticizing the Republic and expressing sympathy for the Separatists in ROTS.

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I actually think they got it about right. We have essentially good, yet flawed, characters. We have essentially evil characters, but whose choices are at least to some extent understandable and sympathetic.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Because by that point, she was losing faith in Palpatine who was refusing to conduct truce talks with the Confederacy leadership now that Dooku was dead. Which was fair because days before his kidnapping, he said that if Dooku was captured or killed, then he would begin negotiations with the Confederacy. Mace points that out when they meet for the first time after his kidnapping. But she doesn't express sympathy with the Confederacy. She does note that she is aware that there's problems within the Senate and with Palpatine.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Padme was also aware that despite the Confederacy's leadersihp, not only were there problems within the Senate and with Palpatine, she was also aware that not all members of the Confederacy shared morality of its leadership.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    As a throwback action film, A New Hope was very black and white in terms of "good guys" and "bad guys." The Empire Strikes Back followed suit, except for one huge exception at the end. The film ends on a very uncertain note; the goal of "killing the bad guy" is no longer applicable when it involves the hero slaying his own father. Same conflict with Return of the Jedi.

The prequels are very complex from the beginning. The Trade Federation are not evil; they're equally manipulated by Sidious. The end justifies the means, and they're willing to fulfill Sidious' evil plans to get the recognition they desire. Later on, the Separatists only want peace out of the conflict that is trying on both sides.

As a whole, the Jedi are good and the Sith are bad, but all it takes is an outlier, like Anakin to upset the balance and make the viewer think about what's being fought over.

Iron_lord likes this.