main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JediNews: Filming To Be Significantly Delayed By Ford Injury

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    The film has already been delayed once, I'd be absolutely shocked if they delayed it again. It looks like there's already over a year of post production time allocated as it is. Rescheduling and pushing pack filming will likely cut into that time, but I think there's probably a better chance of JJ rewriting parts of the script (if necessary) than delaying the release another 6 months.

...and that's assuming that this rumor is true. It could turn out to be BS.

2. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
  3. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I remember this report all the way back from Oct 2013 in Hollywood Reporter that the crew asked for and was denied a delay to 2016 to deliver the best product. Ford's injury could work to their advantage to give them an additional 6 months that they wanted in the first place:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-disney-651482

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Tomorrow.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    They'll have meetings all the time, but not like this one. If they have to delay, so be it. It will all depend on the schedule and how much they are able to shoot without Ford (which will be very tricky if is role is prominent as rumoured). It may be that they shift certain scenes to a window for pick ups that might have been scheduled, but a) how large a window that might be remains to be scene anyway, and the cost (though most likely insured) will most likely be huge. A huge nightmare for Ford and the production, but not much they can do when this sort of thing strikes (though I wouldn't be surprised if someone has lost their job over it).

6. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
  7. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014

I believe the way it went down was Kennedy, JJ and the team wanted Summer 2016, but Iger and Disney wanted Summer 2015. They compromised on Winter 2015.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  8. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I am still fuming over how such a thing happened. In my business, I manage the quality system and preventive measures/safety is a big part of it.

Someone on production screwed up big time for something as severe as a broken leg to occur.

Darth_Zidious and Immortiss like this.
  9. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I also think part of this has to do with the fact that Iger is leaving in 2015 and he wants the credit if Star Wars is a smash rather than his successor taking the credit in 2016.

10. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999

Bingo. Just as I said.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

11. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    If the schedule slips they can hire a new director or 2nd unit director that can film scenes that are faster and more intense. ;)

darthgator1217 likes this.
  12. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Jedi News is also claiming David Cronenberg's story about turning down ROTJ is actually about the Sequel Trilogy, despite him telling the story back in 2007...

Immortiss and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  13. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

There is no shortage of egos at Disney.

I just hope that Lucasfilm can pull it off. I mean, pressure can be a great motivator, but excessive pressure can make those involved crack. I wonder if there is a "rushed" atmosphere on the set which could account for Ford's injury?

14. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    The filming of Apocalypse Now was a complete nightmare. For starters, Martin Sheen had a heart attack. Coppola was writing stuff on the fly. Brando couldn't/wouldn't remember his lines. And look how that turned out!

While this really sucks for Ford, and the whole production crew, they'll sort it out!

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Harrison Ford really needs to stop reaching back to get his hat before doors slam down. He isn't as nimble as he used to be.

16. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Very true, and the atmosphere for A New Hope certainly was stressful (certainly for Lucas) and well, the rest is history!

TK327 likes this.
  17. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I laughed more than I should have. Speaking of should have? Does this really warrant it's own thread? Especially after it was debunked by official sources?

18. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Jaws is another nightmare production that didn't turn out too badly.

19. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Krueger likes this.
  20. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    My reading: A Delay in filming is not delay in release date, and Iger's pretty much already said they're going to open up the purse strings to make sure they hit that date.

Basically - the post-production window is going to get shrunk even smaller than what it already is, and that means they're going to have to pay more to get it done on time.

Maybe they bump it back, but considering how important 2015 was to Disney execs and their shareholders, I can see the line of thinking being something like "If this means we have to spend an extra 100 mil to get it out when we said it'd be out, we'll do it. Because we're getting a billion plus back, regardless."

Keep in mind, this line of discussion is entirely business-oriented, too. Not story or mythology oriented, but simply "what would an executive do" type speculation.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The big problem isn't filming scenes where only Harrison of the main cast needs to be there but when actors who have commitments follwing on from this film. I don't know what those commitments are but if Disney want a 18 December 2015 release they might need to buy the likes of Boyega, Ridley and Gleeson out of those commitments.

bobbyroberts likes this.
  22. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    It hasn't been debunked re-read the title. It says filming delayed not release date delayed. One could assume one would follow the other that may or may not be the case. I also wouldn't expect an LFL person in Cali to know the complete details of a meeting that was supposed to have taken place just this morning in London. The problem could come if the cast and crew have other jobs booked, pushing production back 2 months would really throw a wrench in things, 6 months could be disastrous in trying to keep the cast and crew together especially if they had only been shooting a few weeks and they may have already signed contracts for other jobs.

23. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    That's what insurance is for.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be fair, though... this is rather a pretty new package wrapped around old news.

Krueger and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  25. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Well I think the difference is the JediNews report that the meeting took place today. The severity of the injury may only now be sinking in to the crew, it's possible the original estimate of a 4-8 week recovery time was just spin.

Dak Oolron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.