main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Fragile Peace (Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, May 22, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, NightWatcher91, Gemma, JadeLotus, Ewok_Slayer, ginchy, aleja2, AzureAngel2

Chapter 14

Blaster in one hand and lightsaber in the other, Mara cut through the Mandalorian and Dark Jedi forces with extreme prejudice. A tan-armored Mandalorian leapt at her, and she ducked underneath him and brought her blade up, slashing him at a weak point in his armor and dragging her blade down the middle of his belly. The Mando collapsed. Spinning, Mara fired a pair of shots at a Dark Jedi. Her opponent easily blocked the shots, but it gave Mara time to move in and impale him on her blade.

Around her, those Gray Jedi loyal to Jacen rallied with Mara, cutting into beings they'd once called allies. Slowly, the battle began to turn in their favor, and the Dark Jedi began to flee. Mara hurled her lightsaber, allowing it to land in the back of a fleeing Dark Jedi, while she cut down two more with blaster shots. It wasn't long before the temple's main hall had been emptied of opposition.

"I...I don't understand," one of Jacen's Jedi said. "Why did they betray us?"

"They were obviously serving someone else all along," Mara replied. "Lock down the gates, now. We need to make sure no one else can escape."

The Rodian female who had met them when they'd first landed gave her a nod. "Immediately."

She ran off to shut the gates. Mara reached out with the Force. Ben and Damien felt like they were still in combat. Recovering her lightsaber, Mara took off in their direction.

Ben and Damien danced through the halls of the temple, their blue lightsabers flashing in response to Ahli's orange and viridian blades. They had long left the archives behind; they now backed through an area that appeared to be a cluster of training rooms. Ahli slashed her offhand blade at Ben's throat. He pulled his head back, the blade missing skin by centimeters, and hit her with a Force-punch. Ahli grunted and stumbled.

Damien was on her in an instant, his lightsaber a blue whirlwind. Ben knew that Damien was a better fighter than he; few Jedi could beat the young man. So he stepped back and kept his lightsaber up, ready to charge in the moment Damien signaled he needed help. The two of them had worked together long enough that they knew exactly when the other would need to be relieved.

A moment later, Damien succeeded in landing a blow, which slashed Ahli's viridian lightsaber in half and grazed the skin of her hand. The dark-skinned woman growled in pain. Ben leapt in, ready to take advantage of the moment of weakness. Ahli saw him coming and barely raised her blade in time to block his blow. He hammered his blade down on hers, causing her to stagger away. Ahli growled again and sent out a powerful double Force push that sent Ben and Damien stumbling back...

And suddenly Mara was there, blaster firing as fast as her finger could touch the trigger, while her lightsaber became a wall of light. Ben watched in awe as his mother pushed the girl back in seconds. Ahli looked truly afraid now; she backed up father and father. Finally, sweat dripping from her brow, she let out a wild Force repulse that shattered a window behind her. Ahli turned and leapt out the window.

"Ben, Damien, are you all right?" Mara asked.

Ben nodded. "Yes. But Mom, that was...wow. I've never seen you fight like that!"

Mara smiled and helped Ben to his feet. "Good. I only ever fight like that when it's an opponent who could be a real problem. I hope you don't have to see me fight like that very much. Come on, we need to find your father and figure out what to do about this whole situation."

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Exhibit 1 if there needed to be one why Mara rocks and why she is perfect for Luke. [face_love] :D

3. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Just caught up on this and all I can say is wow! This is great. I'm looking forward to more.

4. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Yes, indeed -- your battle Mara rocks. Your writing of the battle scenes are very intricate - I like that.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    A strong Mara, skilled, funny AND deadly.

:D

Thanks for that!

Gemma, Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, NightWatcher91, Gemma, JadeLotus, Ewok_Slayer, ginchy, aleja2, AzureAngel2

Chapter 15

The five Jedi gathered in the main hall of the temple. Around them, Jacen's Gray Jedi began cleaning up the bodies–many of them mournfully kneeling over friends they'd lost. Luke shook his head in sadness. Jedi turning on Jedi, killing one another...it was a day he hoped that he'd never see. Jacen had hoped for the same–and it had been because of him that it had happened.

"This is...madness," one of Jacen's students said.

A young man–a Mirialan, actually–in his mid-twenties, he had shoulder-length black hair and light gray eyes. He wore a gray tunic and black trousers, boots, belt, and gloves. His lightsaber was clipped to his belt. Luke noticed that his hands were shaking.

"I know," Luke replied. "I'm sorry this had to happen to you. I'm Luke Skywalker, your Master's uncle."

The Mirialan nodded. "I know who you are. I am Apprentice Aren Lical."

"Good to meet you, Aren." Luke turned to Jaina. "Comm your father and tell him what's going on. Quickly."

Jaina nodded and pulled her comlink out. "Dad? We've got a lot to talk about..."

On the bridge of the Retaliation, Han Solo stared down at the planet below. The bridge crew was on high alert, shields up and turbolasers trained on the planet below. An hour ago, Pellaeon had arrived in the Chimaera and deployed a wing of TIE fighters, led by a wing of Defenders, to screen the planet. Han had augmented them with the remaining X-wings in Rogue Squadron.

"Sir," said the communications officer. "Call from the planet's surface."

"Put it through," Han said instantly.

"Dad?" Jaina's voice came through. "We've got a lot to talk about..."

"What's up, sweetie?" Han asked.

"Dad, there will be a TIE Defender coming up from the planet's surface. Stop it. But don't shoot it down; repeat, do not shoot it down. Let it escape before you destroy it, copy? Any ships that follow, blow them up. But the lead Defender, do not destroy it!"

"I read you, sweetie," he replied. "Why?"

"It's...a long story," Jaina said. "But basically there's a prisoner aboard that is very important to us."

"All right," Han replied. "I read you. Love you, sweetie."

"Love you too, Dad."

The signal cut off. "All right, people," Han said, "you heard her. Capture the lead Defender, do not destroy it. Communications, put me through to Admiral Pellaeon."

"Roger that, sir."

A moment later, the aging face of the Imperial admiral appeared on the screen. "General Solo. What can I do for you?"

"There's going to be a squadron of ships leaving the planet," Han said. "Vape them all, except the lead Defender. Admiral, make sure your ships understand that. Do not vape the lead Defender."

Pellaeon nodded. "Understood, General. My men will keep that Defender alive."

"Thanks, Admiral. Solo out." He turned to the flight controller. "Make sure the Rogues understand these orders too, okay? And have the tractor beams standing by to capture that Defender."

Ben, Damien, and Jaina rushed out to their X-wings. Luke and Mara said they'd catch up with them as soon as they could; they were going to ensure that Jacen's Gray Jedi had things well in-hand before they left. Jaina reached her X-wing first and quickly hauled herself inside. Damien and Ben reached theirs almost in unison and jumped inside, pulling the canopies closed as they powered up their engines.

"Let's go!" Jaina said impatiently. "We have to catch them."

"Ready," Ben said.

"Me too," Damien confirmed.

The three X-wings lifted off and shot toward the sky. They soon caught sight of the Defenders that had fled the temple–apparently, there had been more of the vessels in the temple's hangars–making for space. Jaina pulled her fighter to port to intercept them, Damien and Ben on her wing. Jaina glanced at her sensors. There were five bogeys coming in from the west.

"Unidentified ships, make your intentions known," Jaina said.

"You know my intentions, Jedi," came back a familiar voice.

"Fett," Jaina growled.

"If I can't beat you hand-to-hand, perhaps I'm the better pilot," Fett said. "Fly well, Jedi."

"Yeah, right," Jaina replied. "Ben, Damien, take the Defenders. The Mandos are mine."

Ben's voice came over the comlink. "Can you take all five yourself?"

"Try to stop me," she said grimly.

She peeled away from her two wingmen, who continued toward the Defenders. Jaina caught sight of the Mandalorian fighters now–thick, tank-like vehicles. Her astromech identified them as Bes'uliik fighters. Their armor was tough–very tough. Jaina grimaced. Well, this would be challenging. She set her lasers to quad-fire, so all four would fire at once. It would make it easier to chew through the Bes'uliike's shields.

"Last chance, Fett," she said. "You don't have to do this."

"I do," Fett replied. "I'm sorry."

Jaina fired. Her bolts hit one of the starfighters and burnt long black furrows all along its starboard wing, but did not destroy it. The Bes'uliik opened fire, and Jaina pulled up to avoid it. Two more of the fighters converged on her flank and fired. Jaina twisted her yoke to the side, sending her fighter into a barrel roll. Turning, she fired a torpedo down at one of the fighters. The torpedo slammed straight into the cockpit and exploded. The Bes'uliik came apart. Jaina grinned and turned her fighter toward the ground. The Mandalorian fighters, far less maneuverable than the X-wing, took a moment to catch up.

The two still on her tail continued peppering her with fire, while the other two swooped in to take her head-on. Jaina switched her lasers to single fire, so the X-wing's four cannons fired at intervals. The Mandalorians' fighters peeled off, but Jaina's blasts blackened the left fighter's nosecone. The fighters behind her started to do damage–her X-wing rocked and her astromech beeped at her in fear and annoyance.

"Right," Jaina replied.

She cut out her engines. The Mandos' ships shot straight past her. Instantly, she reactivated her engines and fired a torpedo at the right fighter, and then started firing into the engines of the left fighter. The ship on the right exploded, and the one on the left followed shortly.

"Two to one, now," Jaina said to herself. "Not such bad odds."

"Impressive flying, Jedi," Fett said. "Truly, you are a worthy opponent."

"Not so bad yourself, Fett," Jaina replied with a grin.

She pulled her fighter up and headed toward the two remaining Mandos. Fett and his wingman came at her, blaster cannons firing. Jaina juked her fighter randomly, avoiding their fire, and locked her last torpedo on Fett's wingman. She squeezed the trigger. The torpedo rocketed toward the fighter. That moment, however, gave Fett the time to lock on her and tear her shields to shreds with his cannons. Jaina pulled up as Fett's wingman exploded, but it was too late–her shields were down.

"Nice shooting, Fett," she said.

"Just you and I now, Jedi," Fett said.

"Let's finish it," Jaina replied with a nod. "Once and for all."

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jaina is amazing with a lightsaber and with an X-wing. :D

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Catching up! Mara was awesome and Jaina is, too. Like aunt, like niece!

10. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    It's so much fun to see competent, smart characters act like they are competent and smart! Bravo!!!

11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Love your space battles and the banter between Jaina and Fett. When she takes out this Fett will it end the feud though??

AzureAngel2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, Gemma, JadeLotus, Ewok_Slayer, ginchy, aleja2, AzureAngel2, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Chapter 16

Ben fired his X-wing's lasers on quad-linked fire and destroyed another TIE Defender. It was difficult in such a mixed battle to tell friend from foe, so he was relying entirely on his sensors and the Force to tell him who was an enemy–especially since both the Dark Jedi and the Empire had Defenders, and he had to be careful not to destroy a friendly Defender. So far, they'd avoided that.

Brisha's Defender was making a mess of the Imperial pilots, destroying the weaker TIE fighters like they were standing still. Ben juked his fighter and squeezed off another shot, destroying another Dark Jedi. Damien, tucked in tight on Ben's starboard wing, brought his fighter around and fired a torpedo, destroying another Defender.

"Good shooting," Ben complimented.

"Not bad yourself," Damien replied.

Ben kept his eyes on Brisha's ship. It was getting closer to the Retaliation and the Chimaera. If they could only force it within range of one of the two Destroyers' tractor beams, then they could end this quickly without Jacen getting hurt. Ben throttled forward, locked on to Brisha's ship. He switched to single-fire and started peppering her solar panels and engines with laserfire, hoping that she would surrender if she lost enough maneuverability.

Damien seemed to catch on and switched his own lasers to single-fire. Brisha jerked her Defender around and came straight on at the two Jedi, her ion cannon and lasers firing. Ben barrel-rolled to port and Damien broke starboard. Brisha kept hounding Ben, firing intently. Ben set his jaw grimly and used the Force to enhance his reaction time, pulling his ship out of the way of her shots.

"Need a little help, here," he said tightly.

"On my way," Damien replied.

Ben dropped his fighter toward the planet and then immediately pulled up, hoping to lose Brisha in the maneuver, but she kept on him doggedly, her weapons still firing. Ben just focused on making sure she couldn't get a torpedo lock.

"Blast it, Damien, where are you?" Ben growled.

Suddenly, another X-wing rocketed over and peppered Brisha's ship with fire, forcing her to pull off. Ben checked the fighters ident tags.

"Thanks, Kameron," he said.

"No problem," Antilles replied. "Let's just finish this."

"Right."

Ben spun around and opened fire on Brisha. The Dark Jedi kept her fighter coming on, flying erratically to avoid Ben's shots. Then, she fired her ion cannon...and Ben's ship abruptly shut down. Fear spiked through Ben's body–he was a sitting duck! Brisha's cannons peppered his ship. Ben hit the eject button and his flight suit sealed instantly, and his seat ejected into space. His astromech droid beeped in alarm and ejected itself just as the TIE Defender destroyed the X-wing.

"Blast it!" Ben growled.

And then, finally, there was Damien, peppering Brisha with fire. Her port and bottommost solar panels were chewed to shreds. Smoke began to pour from several wounds in the fighter's hull.

"Careful, Damien," Ben said. "Remember who else is on that ship."

"Right," Damien replied.

Brisha's fighter turned and began limping back toward the planet. Relieved, Ben slumped back in his seat. Then he remembered he was floating through space without a fighter. His astromech beeped and floated up to him. Ben patted him on the top of his domed head, accidentally applying enough force to send the droid floating away slowly. The droid tootled mournfully.

"Don't worry," Ben replied. "They'll pick us up as soon as the battle's over." He closed his eyes. "For now, just sit back and wait."

Two hours later, a shivering Ben sat in the war room with Damien, Luke, Mara, and the remnants of Rogue Squadron, along with one of Pellaeon's representatives. Han stood at the front of the room with Chewbacca and a hologram of the planet below. Luke felt guilt sweep through him when he looked at his son. If he and Mara had gone up with the rest of the pilots, this might not have happened.

"All right," Han said. "First, can someone tell me what the kark is going on? And second, where's my daughter?"

"I can answer the first," Luke said. "But...get Leia on the holo. She's going to want to hear this, too."

Han hesitated, and then nodded and typed in a command on the holoterminal. The image of the planet disappeared. It took several moments, but finally Leia appeared, with C-3PO and the Noghri bodyguard Vezragh standing by her side, arms crossed. Leia had a concerned look on her face.

"Han, what's wrong?" she asked.

"You first, Leia," Han said. "Any news about the assassination attempt?"

Leia didn't ask how Han knew about it. "We've interrogated the surviving assassin. Apparently he was hired anonymously by a hooded figure in black."

Luke and Mara exchanged looks. "I think we know who that is," Luke said.

Han quirked an eyebrow. "Do tell. And while you're at it, explain everything else, huh?"

Luke nodded. "All right. Han, Leia...this isn't going to be easy for you to hear. Jacen is alive."

Han's jaw dropped and Leia covered her mouth with her hand. Even Vezragh paled noticeably, his greenish skin becoming a much lighter shade of gray. His arms uncrossed.

"Master Jacen is alive?" Threepio exclaimed.

"How...?" Leia asked.

"He survived when the Death's Head retreated into the Unknown Regions," Luke said. "Kueller's pupils tried to train him in the ways of the dark side, but Jacen resisted, and escaped with the help of a woman named Brisha. He apparently decided that the Jedi were flawed, and so he set up a new order of his own personal Jedi out here in the Unknown Regions, and he's been training them to seek out the dark side so they can stop it before it returns. Unfortunately, Jacen didn't realize that Brisha was actually still a loyal follower of the Sith. She is the darkness I've been sensing.

"Brisha arranged for the sabotage to the Retaliation, and she hired the Mandalorians that attacked us on Tatooine. She was also flying the lead in the TIE Defender squadron that attacked us when we first arrived. When Jacen realized that we'd been attacked, he confronted Brisha. Apparently she's been training many of his students in the ways of the dark side without him knowing. They turned on him, and there was a battle between Jacen's followers and Brisha's. Jacen refused to fight Brisha, and she captured him. She was the one in the lead TIE Defender, with Jacen."

Han shook his head. "This is...a lot to take in. First my boy's alive, and now he's in the hands of some crazy lady."

Leia said something quietly to Vezragh and then turned to face them. "Luke, Vezragh, Threepio, and I are coming out there."

"We are?" Threepio said in surprise.

"We are," Leia confirmed. "We'll bring Home One."

"You sure Ackbar's going to want to lend his flagship?" Han asked.

"Who's lending?" Leia replied. "He'll be with us."

Han nodded. "All right. Well...we'll see you shortly, then. I love you."

"Love you too."

The hologram shut down. Han turned, arms crossed, to face the rest of the room.

"Now, can someone please explain to me where Jaina is?"

Damien raised a hand. "Last time Ben and I saw her, she headed down to take on Fett and his Mandalorian fighters."

"By herself?" Han exploded.

"Easy, Han," Luke replied. "I can sense her in the Force. She's fine."

Han sighed. "Well...okay. But that doesn't explain why she's not up here yet."

"Dad's right," Ben said. "She's fine. Don't worry, she'll dust off Fett and be back before you know it. In the meantime, we should ready a ground search party to find Brisha and her surviving allies and take them out."

Mara nodded. "I'll see to that."

"Okay," Han said. "Rogues, you'll hit the ground with them since there doesn't seem to be any point in keeping you in your X-wings." He turned to the Imperial rep. "You think Pellaeon would lend us a team of stormtroopers?"

"Of course, General Solo." The Imperial saluted and left the room.

"All right, everyone," Han said. "You have your tasks. Get to it!"

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You write too fast. I'm having trouble keeping up! :p Nice update!

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super! Great revelations and strategy. =D=

15. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Don't listen Jedi_Lover. Keep writing as fast you can. ;) This is a great stress relief from work stuff right now.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, as an author who also has chronic can't-wait to post-itis, I love it. [face_batting]

17. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Another great update. I adore that every night there is a new chapter -- it's like getting a new episode of my favorite TV show almost nightly. And my RL right now is horrible --- your writing makes it easier for me to handle things in my life -- having something to look forward to. Praises and a high-five!!

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, Gemma, JadeLotus, Ewok_Slayer, ginchy, aleja2, AzureAngel2, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Chapter 17

Jacen groaned as he awoke. Cold. He felt cold. He rolled over so he was lying on his stomach and pushed himself up. He grimaced. His hands were freezing! He shot to his feet and looked around. He was in a clearing in the middle of a forest, and there was a layer of snow on the ground and trees. Jacen frowned in confusion. Why was he here?

The last thing he remembered...

"Good, you're awake," said a familiar voice.

Jacen sighed in relief. "Oh. Brisha."

He turned. Brisha stood behind him, her arms crossed. She wore a black tunic and pants with armored silver shoulder pads. Her lightsaber was clipped at her side. Jacen rubbed his head.

"What happened, Brisha?" he asked.

"Don't you remember?" Brisha replied.

Jacen thought back. He remembered...Jaina. And Uncle Luke, and the rest of the Jedi. He remembered being atop the temple. Brisha had been on the ground...Luke had been advancing on her. Jaina had tried to kill her. Jacen had stopped her.

"I remember..." he replied. "But it's fuzzy."

"Your uncle and his students have become what we feared," Brisha said. "They didn't believe your philosophies and they attacked us. They tried to kill me; you saved my life."

"I remember that," Jacen admitted. "But nothing after."

"Jaina knocked you out," Brisha said. "I managed to disable her with the Force and escape with you. Many of our students were killed by their starfighters; only a few of us remain."

"A few...how many?"

"Take a look."

Jacen glanced behind Brisha. A handful of students were huddled around a small fire in the middle of the clearing, warming their hands. Jacen recognized Ahli Keros, a human male named Ven Duaz, and three other students, all hooded. Jacen scratched his head.

"All the rest...dead?"

"No," Brisha replied. "We have several more out in the forest, waiting to ambush the Jedi when they land. But the rest turned on us, sided with your uncle."

"Brisha...are you sure about all of this? I don't think Uncle Luke is even capable of turning to the dark side! Why would he attack you?"

Brisha shrugged. "He felt threatened, Jacen. He knew we'd reveal him."

Jacen sighed. "I don't want to fight my family, Brisha. But if you're right...if the Jedi have gone over to the dark side..."

"It's your duty," Brisha replied with a nod.

"I know." Jacen reached for his lightsaber. "I'll do what I must."

The X-wings landed at the edge of the forest. Luke hopped out of his fighter and pulled his robe close around him, wincing at the cold. Artoo beeped and popped out of the X-wing, rolling in close behind Luke. Ben, Damien, and Mara came in behind Luke, lightsabers in hand but not ignited. Rogue Squadron's members followed, each armed with a blaster rifle.

"Let's go," Luke said. "But be cautious."

As they walked, Luke reached out with the Force, probing for Jaina. The girl was still safe, he sensed, and still in battle. Blast, Fett must be really good if it was taking Jaina this long to deal with him. He shook away his worry. His niece would be all right. He had faith in her. He needed to concentrate on the moment, here and now. He led the group into the forest.

"The stormtroopers are landing on the far side of the forest," Kameron said. "They'll sweep toward us and meet us in the middle; it'll reduce our chances of missing the Dark Jedi."

Luke nodded. "All right. Listen, Kameron, I appreciate your help, but let us go in first when the fighting starts. The Dark Jedi will be able to deflect your blaster bolts."

Kameron nodded. "Understood. You heard him, boys, let the Jedi go first."

The Rogues nodded. Luke ignited his lightsaber and headed into the forest. Three other lightsabers snapped to life, and then they were all under the trees. Luke probed the area with the Force. Of course, the Dark Jedi were cloaking themselves–he could tell. That meant they'd have to be extra careful. He pressed on. His danger sense suddenly gave him a warning and he spun.

"Look out!"

Jaina stuck doggedly to Fett's flank, peppering him with fire. His tough starfighter had been resisting her shots exceptionally well so far; Jaina had been blasting him for the past hour and he hadn't gone down yet. She, on the other hand, was in trouble. Her shields were down, her top port engine was out, and she was trailing smoke. Plus, her astromech had been hit. Still, she was on Fett's tail, so she had the advantage.

"Give it up, Fett!" she snapped.

"I cannot," Fett replied. "A Mandalorian does not surrender."

"There's no dishonor if you surrender now," Jaina said. "You fought honorably, Fett. Better than any opponent I've ever flown against. Set down now and you live with that honor."

Fett growled. "I can't!"

Suddenly, a ship flashed overhead. Jaina's eyes widened. The Millennium Falcon! What was her father doing? The Falcon's belly guns opened fire on Fett's ship; the Mandalorian peeled out, avoiding the fire. A shot took him in the port wing and damaged it. Fett jerked his ship upward and fired his lasers into the Falcon. Her dad showed his piloting skills then–he avoided the fire with a maneuver that even a starfighter would've had trouble avoiding.

"Dad, what the kark?" she exclaimed.

"Thought you might need a little help, sweetie," Han said tightly. "I wanted to show you what an old geezer can do!"

"I know what you can do, Dad," she replied. "You taught me. Get out of here!"

"I'll be fine, sweetie." She could hear the Solo grin in his voice. "It'll be a cold day on Mustafar when a Fett can outfly me."

"If I can't take out Jaina Solo," Fett growled suddenly, "then taking out the man who did kill my father will be even better!"

Fett fired again, sticking close on the Falcon's tail. Jaina, on Fett's own tail, fired. Fett avoided her fire and kept firing at the freighter. The belly gun, no doubt manned by Chewbacca, returned fire and scored a direct hit to Fett's nosecone. The Mandalorian fighter began to waver. Jaina heard an audible growl from Fett's link and the Mandalorian fired again–

And this time, he scored a direct hit on the Falcon. Whatever he hit was sensitive, because a large chunk of the ship's tail ignited. Jaina's eyes widened.

"Dad!"

"Ack!" Han groaned. "I'm...fine...sweetie. Have to set down, though...fast."

"Do it. Now!"

The Falcon headed for the ground. Jaina gritted her teeth and locked onto Fett's fighter.

"That's it, scum. You're dead!"

She riddled his engines with fire. There was an explosion–his starboard engine went out, and the explosion fried his port engine, too. He started falling–fast–toward the ground. Jaina eyeballed where he'd probably land. It was a wooded area capped with snow. She could see the Falcon landing in a clearing. She brought her X-wing in; maybe if Fett's fighter didn't explode, she'd be able to get to him and deal with him hand-to-hand. She swung her damaged X-wing around–

And saw lightsabers flashing below her. Eyes wide, she peeled around, looking for a good place to land. It was time for her to join this fight.

JediMatteus and AzureAngel2 like this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh no! Han! I hope he didn't break his ankle or this story will be delayed for six months! :( Nice update!

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= =D= Jaina is so her father's daughter ;) YIKES, Jacen is still acting the fool with Brisha. :rolleyes:

21. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Nice! I think I even followed all of it in spite of the lack of sleep induced by work.:p More please!

22. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Could slap Jacen.

Rolled my eyes at Fett.

Melted for Jaina.

Well written again, sucked me right into the middle of events.

23. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Brisha is pulling a fast one on Jacen about the details of the fight --- I guess that Force lightning did something to his memory.

Absolutely loved the part where Han joined in Jaina's fight with Fett.

Jedi_Lover -- Laughed hard at your comment (about the story being delayed for 6 months if Han broke an ankle) --- gosh you're ornery --- don't ever stop.

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 18

Ben's lightsaber flashed as the Dark Jedi fell from the tree. The Dark Jedi, who had leapt straight at Ben, continued his leap, and his body split into two halves as Ben's blade bisected him at the waist. Spinning his lightsaber, Ben took a defensive posture. Three more Dark Jedi leapt from the trees and attacked. One attacked Mara, and the other two leapt at Damien. Ben glanced at his father; Luke was currently engaging three Dark Jedi himself.

Ben grinned. He knew his father could take them.

He turned and ran to help Damien. The dark-skinned Jedi swept his lightsaber in a blow that caught both of the Dark Jedi's lightsaber blades. The Dark Jedi began to move in opposite directions, attempting to flank him. Ben leapt in the air, raising his foot and kicking the one closer to him in the jaw. The Dark Jedi stumbled back and barely kept his lightsaber raised. Damien, freed from his second opponent, moved toward the other Dark Jedi and unleashed a torrent of powerful blows on him.

Ben swept his lightsaber toward his opponent. The Dark Jedi blocked his blow and returned one of his own, slashing toward Ben's right shoulder. Ben raised his blade horizontally, catching the strike, and pushed. The Dark Jedi's blade went high and Ben took advantage of the moment, sweeping in low and stabbing his lightsaber into his gut. The Dark Jedi dropped. Ben turned. Damien's own foe had fallen, his head severed from his shoulders.

Luke's opponents were down, too, save for one–one of them had a deep slash in his chest, and the other had a blaster burn in his back that evidenced aid from Commander Antilles. Ben turned toward the Rogues. Several Dark Jedi lay dead around them, and only one of the Rogues had sustained an injury–a minor slash across her thigh.

"Color me impressed," Ben said.

Kameron grinned. "Rogues specialize in doing the impossible."

Mara's foe fell a few seconds later, as did Luke's. They paused for a moment and breathed a sigh of relief. Then, they pressed on. Ben heard the roar of several engines overhead and he looked up. His eyes widened.

"That's–"

"The Falcon," Luke said.

"It looked like it was on fire," Kameron added.

The group exchanged glances and as one charged in that direction. They made it to a large clearing, with several Dark Jedi standing in the middle. Near a campfire stood Brisha, Ahli, a human male with a wicked grin on his face...and Jacen. Ben raised his lightsaber cautiously. At a psychic command from Luke, the Jedi began to spread out, flanking the Dark Jedi in the center of the clearing. Ben spared a glance at the sky. The sun was beginning to rise, and the Falcon was now sitting on a hill above the clearing.

And Kameron was right. It was burning.

"Jacen," Luke said, "step away from Brisha."

"No," Jacen replied. To Ben's shock, he ignited his lightsaber. "You've fallen to the dark side, Uncle Luke. I have to stop you."

"Jacen, no–Brisha's the one who's fallen!" Ben said.

Jacen spared a glance at his cousin. "I'm sorry you've been deceived, Ben. It's not too late to turn away from the path you're on."

"You're the one being deceived, Jacen," Mara replied. "Don't listen to Brisha."

"You won't break my trust in her," Jacen said, a hard look crossing his face. "Surrender now, or I'll fight you."

"Please, Jacen," Luke said. "Don't do this."

"I'll do what I must."

Jacen leapt into action.

Jaina set her X-wing down across the clearing from the Falcon. She could see Fett's ship, lying amidst a mass of broken trees. Jaina ignited her lightsaber and set out toward the Mandalorian's ship. She glanced toward the clearing and saw that the lightsaber battle was in full flow now, and to her horror, it seemed that Jacen and Uncle Luke were fighting.

She shook her head. She'd deal with that in a moment. In a few more seconds, she had crossed to Fett's ship. The Mandalorian was helmetless again, though the helmet itself was lying on the ground beside him. Fett was sitting on the ground, wincing, his right arm held across his gut. Jaina thought she could see blood seeping from under his forearm. He also had a gash on his forehead.

"You are...good," Fett said. "Very good. It is no dishonor to be killed by you."

Jaina moved her lightsaber to Fett's throat. "You tried to kill my father, you scumbag! I should cut you down right here!"

Fett nodded. "Now...you know how I felt."

Jaina's saber wavered. He was right, truth be told. Who was to say that Fett didn't care just as much about his father Boba as Jaina did about Han? Worse, Etera Fett would've been just a child when Boba had fallen in the sarlacc. If he'd even been born yet–Fett's wife or mistress might've been only pregnant at the time. Jaina lowered her lightsaber.

"Look out there," she said. "Do you really think it's honorable to work for that woman? She has deceived my brother and all her followers. They don't follow her out of loyalty but because they've been tricked. Is that an honorable leader?"

Fett's gaze traveled down to the clearing. His eyes seemed to defocus for a moment, and then they narrowed.

"No," he said. "No, she is not honorable. I see that now."

"Fett," Jaina said, "it would be my honor if you would fight alongside us in this battle."

Fett laughed harshly. "I'm...too injured to move, let alone fight."

"Not for long," Jaina replied.

She knelt and moved his forearm aside. Fett winced and started to snap something, but Jaina cut him off with a glance. She extended her hand and pressed it to his injury, and began to channel the Force into the wound. Fett breathed deeply, gasped once, and then sagged.

"Wow," he said. "I'll take a gallon of that!"

Jaina grinned. "If we could bottle it, the Jedi would be the richest beings in the galaxy."

Fett chuckled, stood, and picked up his helmet. "Well, come on, Jedi. Let's fight alongside each other for a change. And you were wrong about one thing." He slammed his helmet down. "It will be my honor to fight alongside you."

When the battle began, Brisha gestured toward the Falcon subtly. Ven Duaz, the man with the wicked grin, nodded and turned, sprinting toward the crashed freighter, his lightsaber ignited. Damien, seeing what he was doing, shot toward the Falcon and planted himself between the Dark Jedi and the freighter. Duaz gave him that dark grin and raised his lightsaber into ready position. The two young men fought.

Meanwhile, Jacen and Luke clashed, Jacen very intent on taking his uncle down and Luke doing his best not to harm Jacen. Mara leapt at Brisha, and the latter woman's lightsaber snapped to life. The blades, red and green, crossed. Ben gave Ahli a falsely friendly smile and leapt in. The girl ignited her twin lightsabers and moved toward Ben. The Rogues charged in, taking on the rest of the Dark Jedi.

And the fight was on.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Only Luke could take down 3 opponents with relative ease :* :D Yikes, the Falcon is burning! :eek: Jacen is being a real class-A nitwit! Even Fett was persuaded she has no honor. :p