main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    He's saying that the forum wouldn't be the same without you.

JediMatteus and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, just send them in the direction of Crosscurrent and X-Wing: Mercy Kill!

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Reading Mercy Kill right now, so... =D=

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Why on earth did it take you so long to get to it?

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, I'd read it before. But I read it before I read the rest of the X-wing series. The past two months I've been rereading the entire X-wing series and I'm on Mercy Kill now. It makes so much more sense when you read the other nine in front of it. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Objection sustained.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You are right. The post-NJO has some good points.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly, not many but we do have the Legacy comics.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    "Do you know what I see, when I look at this world? I see you."
    Jacen stiffened. "Me?"
    "What you see around you is the fruit of your rage, Jacen Solo. You made this happen."
    "That's ridiculous."
    "You stole the decision of the tizo'pil Yun'tchilat from the shapers on the seedship. You chose the dhuryam that has become the pazhkic Yuuzhan'tar al'tirrna: the World Brain. You destroyed its rivals. You gave it the overlordship of this planet. This planet takes its shape from your dhuryam friend's intention, its personality -- and its personality has been shaped by your friendship. All this beauty exists, in this form, because of you."

Coruscant is a pretty good metaphor for Jacen in the post-NJO.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    So...Denning is Jacen and Jacen is Coruscant? :p

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    on the using jedi powers against the vong thing. They could force push them and such. tahiri force choked a Vong by using the molecules in the air near the shaper's mouth

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Coruscant was reshaped indirectly by Jacen.

This ceased to exist with LOTF, much like anything resembling Jacen Solo.

Revanfan1 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You forgot the massively important moment when Ted showed up so he could get randomly knocked off, having no effect on Coruscant whatsoever despite every single previous source agreeing that it would be catastrophic to kill a World Brain. See, LOTF didn't ignore the NJO after all!

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah that was the first time I realized LOTF was garbage (probably should have been clued in by dark nest but I immediately forgot it after the one and only time that I read it)

edit: btw I forgot about ted what is the origin of that

I know ss jimmy and rhett

EDIT 2: I guess you're all expecting some SUBSTANTIVE conversation too. WELL... yeah, LOTF really only mentions the NJO as having happened because it either fits its narrative or its agenda, e.g. Darth KFC or to erase it, e.g. Ted and Jacen.

Otherwise it just completely ignores that it ever existed. I can't think of anything that happened in the NJO that actually fits the LOTF narrative, so I guess scratch that.

I'm still befuddled over how a character filled with self doubt, defined by self doubt, whose identity is a student ever learning, essentially at his core a self professed agnostic in the true sense of the word, somehow became the guy that has all the answers and has figured it all out, a know-it-all, a completely self assured jackhole. I guess it's because Vergere burned that doubt out of him (oh wait dark nest... I don't want to remember this!) in a copy of Traitor that only Troy Denning ever read and he didn't bother reading any books set afterward in which Jacen had a lot of doubt. I guess? I dunno.

CT-867-5309 and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It's actually from We Hav to Take a Trip. I got sick of typing out dhuryam/future World Brain/World Brain all the time and trying to figure out how to identify the particular dhuryam Jacen bonded with and just called him Ted.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I remember, I was wondering if there was more back story to it like Rhett and Jimmy.

19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    No, it has no meaning. I just thought it would be a funny name for a dhuryam.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So yeah, Ted's death was really bad. Like, he's the size of the Millennium Falcon if not bigger, but this tiny poison dart can kill him. That's silly in itself.

But then the scene is just so poorly written. If anything, it was the start of Jacen's bout with multiple personality disorder that plagued the series. He goes from an emotionally numb guy that ostensibly is acting out of consequentialism but not really, and then he's spazzing out shooting lightning because he's REALLY MAD.

I'm surprised Sekot escaped Denning's hit list. I guess that was the next story.

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Someone would just fire a gun into the ground and that would kill it.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Denning would probably opt for maximum badness and do a Death Star III storyline or something equally stupid for the sole purpose of killing Sekot, considering he more or less admitted that LOTF exists because he didn't like Traitor.

Revanfan1 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I feel bad for Denning, he seems like he really likes Star Wars, he just doesn't understand it. How did he get put in the driver's seat for the post-NJO anyway? They should have just let him do a sequel to Scoundrel's Luck.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Because Shelly Shapiro liked his ideas.

And she's the editor Del Rey put in charge of Star Wars.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Something that impacts Zonama Sekot would then focus on Sekot. The Post NJO could not have that.

Riv_Shiel likes this.