main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Human heritage" (The ancient conflict between the dark side & the light side of the Force)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Sep 6, 2013.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lucien should stay with his children. Don't visit the dark things

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    So sorry I forgot to review the last chapter, I thought I had.

Sweetness on the twins part and they have such a thoughtful older brother.

Well we are told that at times the Force can give unnatural powers.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hmm.... I sense darkness approaching [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nyota´s Heart: Glad that you approve of many of my characters & have fun reading this story here.

@DarthUncle: Lucien fände diesen Mangel an Glauben beklangenswert... :p

Besides, husband of mine, I have a rain jacket & an umbrella against dark clouds... ;)

@SWpants: Well, there are difficult people everywhere. Like sith. Or fanatics of faith... [:D]The universe needs more love & understanding.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Well some people have weird urges to visit dark things.

@Lady_Misty: Yes, at times the Force can give unnatural powers.

@Hazel: Let us check it out then!

When I reach the residence of the Aletheia family, Narthex comes out with a wooden basket tucked in his arms. His timing is impeccable as usual.

“Ah, good morning, milord.” He bows to me, his eyes shimmering with pleasure. “How very good of you to pay my master a visit. I bet he would like to share this beautiful sunrise with you in the roof garden.”

Before I can protest, Narthex is at the staircase and opens the front door for me. He is gone in an instant.

Nervously, I enter the villa. There are sounds from the kitchen; laughter and cookery pots can be heard. I sneak upstairs, undisturbed even by the robot cleaning units scurrying about.

I open the door that leads to the roof garden. Agathos is there and so is the witchling. She sparkles like a diamond in the Force.

As I carefully address her father, her small blond head turns towards me. There they are again, the bewildering grey eyes. I find myself inviting father and daughter for a stroll over the market.

Agathos leaves us alone to write a note for the rest of his family.

The witchling lifts up her chin in defiance. Her cursed eyes seem to look right through me, beyond my flesh and skin and into my soul. Tendrils of frightening power attack what is left of my soul. Grey mist swirls at the edges of my vision.

Only my anger can save me. I wrap myself inside it.

After the first harsh words erupt from my throat the witchling breaks out in silent tears.The surge of despair that comes from her makes my senses tingle. My chest starts to ache. Something squeezes my heart mercilessly.

I find myself wiping her nose and trying to comfort her. I cannot think properly with her around. She is like a white flame, and I a fly. With each heartbeat that I gaze at her, her light seems to grow brighter. She scorches me.

When Agathos comes back not much later, we take the shortest way to the market. Perhaps I'll buy a poisoned apple for the witchling and share it with her. That would put both of us out of misery.

When Angina and the twins cross our path, I almost flee home with them. I cannot stand those big grey eyes any longer.

Words of the Holy Scriptures come to me.“I will destroy your witchcraft, and you will no longer cast spells. For among them are those who make their way into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and swayed by various impulses, who will listen to anybody and can never arrive at a knowledge of the truth.”

Phren looks startled suddenly and Tāchys frowns. I must have quoted the holy words aloud.

Later that day, the witchling passes my house and spots me unveiled in the roof garden. She even dares to wave at me. I feel that the darkness is closing in on me. But I will stay in the light and fight her with all that I have.

That same afternoon I receive an invitation from Parhelion to meet for tea. This sure is a welcome distraction. I hurry to the archiepiscopal palace. There, I receive a most unpleasant surprise.

I stare at Kairos Aletheia and snap, “Why are you here?”

“The health of your honoured sister means a lot to me, Vicomte,” Agathos' younger sibling states tersely. “This is why I have an offer for you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Isabeau Riwalan is an intriguing woman. It would pain me if my plans with one of her protégées would mean a deadly end for her.”

In an outbreak of cold anger, I grip the man's thought. “What are you implying?”

The senator's eyes bulge and an unhealthy colour floods his face.

“Luçien, release him!” orders Parhelion crisply. “Please, you have to hear him out. He has a reasonable offer to make to you.”

With a tight smile behind my veil,I shove Kairos Aletheia away from me. “This is holy ground and I will not befoul it with the death of an imbecile.”

The senator coughs fiercely and hatred burns in his eyes.

“I am not afraid of the Human League and certainly not of you,” I say frostily.

Parhelion presses a tea cup in my hand. “Be silent now and listen to what Kairos has to say.”

All that we ask of you is to turn a blind eye to the plans that have already been made,” pleads Parhelion when he has finished his explanations.

Horror snakes down my backbone. “We are talking about Agathos' children. You certainly cannot...”

“Just one of them,” Parhelion interrupts me. There was a tinge of caution in his gaze. “To bring back hope into the hearts of my followers.”

“There are other ways of doing that,” I say under my breath.

Parhelion's voice is thick with emotion. All his self-control quickly wanes and he clenches his fists. “We both know what a Tjiehenet is capable off.”

“Who will be sacrificed?” I inquire.

“Adamah,” Parhelion answers, the veins in his arms no longer popping.

“That child is Force blind,” I point out.

“She is next in the line of succession.” Kairos Aletheia remarks, but stays at a safe distance from me. “I want the Draconian crown to suffer a great loss.”

“You disgust me.” I start walking towards the door. “Both of you.”

“I can live with that,” Kairos shrugs. “It was His Holiness who insisted that you were informed about the plans. Personally, I do not care what you make of it. If you cannot keep the Marquise away from my niece during the day of the baptism, that is all right with me. Accidents happen.”

I hurry to the door. Pre-school will be over soon and I want to be at the gate on time. “You are fools, if you really believe that you can succeed with your plan,” I say incredulously. “It lacks substance, and worse, common sense.”

The next day I frantically roam the city under cover. Being able to change my outer appearance and even my scent with the Force is very helpful. I look like a young Amnionian man. Friends and neighbours pass me at the market without recognizing me.

By chance, I come to the harbour. I see the royal family sailing away on a large clipper. A tiny figure stands at the railing and watches me with fearful eyes. I decide to wave at the witchling, forcing her to duck away her.

Not much later I track down Isabeau, who is buying a coffee, oblivious to my presence. To my astonishment she also visits the senate building and the city hall like a real tourist. She looks happy and relaxed.

I follow her for the rest of the day, a silent shadow. Since I last saw her she has turned into a deadly beauty. Her muscular arms, peeking out from underneath her ornamented sari, tell me that she is training very hard to keep in shape. When I stand close to her in the gallery of the city hall, I can see the roughness of her palms. Her hands are those of a devoted sword woman. The frightened girl that I once found in the desert is truly gone now.

Eager to be re-united with her wards, Isabeau returns to the harbour around noon. Before I can stop it, she bumps into Kairos' conspirators. Fate takes the strangest twists and turns at times.

It figures,” I think. “It has to be Triptychon Lykurgeia, a minion of Parhelion. He is known for his fanatic speeches against alien races and the purity of faith.”

In the company of the well-known demagogue, I spot Heptan Ismene, Porphyr Haimon, Kalomel Antigone and Acheron Teiresias. My men have the cousins under surveillance for spreading pamphlets with racist content.

There is no way for me to tear Isabeau away without her knowing about this. The past taught me to not meddle with her mind. To my fear, I realize that her life is indeed in danger. She knows too much of this conspiracy now. When she is on the brink of jumping out of her hiding place, I come into action and appear right behind her.

Sending my step-sister right into unconsciousness is easy, but once I hold the limp body in my arms, I am not sure what to do with her. Silently, I curse at my quick interference. Now the only thing is that I can do to save her is keeping her away from the baptism.

(To be continued!)

DarthUncle likes this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    As I carefully address her father, her small blond head turns towards me. There they are again, the bewildering grey eyes. I find myself inviting father and daughter for a stroll over the market.

Y'know, she is quite witchy, putting the near-devil under her spell.

“I will destroy your witchcraft, and you will no longer cast spells.

However, Lucien doesn't understand the Force very well.

“Luçien, release him!” orders Parhelion crisply. “Please, you have to hear him out. He has a reasonable offer to make to you.”

From how he started, it doesn't sound very reasonable.

“You disgust me.” I start walking towards the door. “Both of you.”

I'm always happy that he has his limits.

Sending my step-sister right into unconsciousness is easy, but once I hold the limp body in my arms, I am not sure what to do with her. Silently, I curse at my quick interference. Now the only thing is that I can do to save her is keeping her away from the baptism.

:( Poor Isa

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Love seeing Gri discomfit Lucien ;) and how Parhelion disgusts him. Parhelion works my nerve too. Love this comparative glimpse of the changed mature Isabeau. :cool:

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Gri is the light Lucien. And intense action in your update with Isabeau

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Looks like acting on impulse is firmly in the Skywalker line.

Nyota's Heart and AzureAngel2 like this.
  9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Ooh... a cliffhanger [face_nail_biting]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @SWpants, thanks for always finding the time to read, to comment & to edit!

I hope I can give you more to love in the Chapters to follow, Nyota's Heart.

The plots of "Serpent-spawn", "Wolf whelp" & "Cat litter" left me no choice here, earlybird-obi-wan.

This is why I wrote it exactly this way.

Let me see if I can finish without one this time, Hazel:

Tonnerre Moazan, my private secretary, sits upright at his desk when I materialize in front of him. A motionless Isabeau lies in my arms.

So the rumours are true, milord. You can move through the city like a ghost thanks to the Force,” he says. “Who is our visitor? Her scent is unfamiliar to me.”

“This is my honoured step-sister Marquise Isabeau Riwalan,” I explain. “Unfortunately she believes me to be her nemesis. There is nothing that I can do about it.”

Inside his office room Tonnerre does not wear his veil or a head scarf, so I can see the impact of my words in his young face. Thoughtfulness spreads over his even features. “Do you need to keep her in that Force trance?”

“For the present, yes.” I search my feelings and decide to say. “She overheard a conversation that was not meant for her ears. Now I need her to get away from the city for a while.”

“It is High Season still,” considers Tonnerre. “Why not rent a boat, milord? There are many fish in the sea these days.”

Knowing both the unconscious Isabeau and my rental reservations are in good hands, I walk home to take my leave from Sionnach, Angina and the children. On my way, I spontaneously decide to buy a large fruit basket for them. They all love oranges and grapes.

I find my family gathered in the roof garden. The happy chaos tells me that everybody was having a good time. I hate leaving them behind. I hate what I must do to Isabeau, but time is of the essence and I have to leave for the harbour.

At least Tonnerre made a good choice for my means of transportation. The ´Niobe´ is a beautiful clipper. I am in love with her sharp lines and shiny white sails. She also has an ion motor that will help me to bring my involuntary travel companion away from Polysýndeton quicker. Four-hundred miles per hour is an acceptable speed.

“Thank you,” I tell my young secretary, who helps me carry the large casket containing the still-unconscious Isabeau on-board.

Once we are inside the captain's cabin I take Isabeau out of the casket and place her on the bed. Tonnerre hands me the two metre long rope that I requested. With astonishment, he watches me restrain my step-sister.

“You know the art of Elfin imprisonment, milord?”

“Ruadhan Ahearne himself taught me.” My fingers produce a web of knots all over Isabeau's body. “Over the past seventy years, he was in jail so often that he learned many tricks by just watching his guards.”

When I am finished with my work, I blindfold Isabeau. A short scan of her meridians tells me that her body is in no danger. I will check on her regularly. A thrombosis is the last thing that I wish for.

Tonnerre still stands beside me, his mouth gaping wide in admiration.

“Could you do me a favour?” I ask. “Sionnach promised me that she will not visit the city temple for the baptism of young Master Aletheia, but could you...,” I fish for the right words, “Well, could you make sure she indeed does not leave the house and takes the children with her?”

“Of course, milord. I will personally see to it,” he replies and bows.

“I would rather have you at the office. Please ask Déodat and Cosme to keep my house under surveillance. That will be sufficient.”

When the ´Niobe´ is about six sea miles away from Polysýndeton, I check on Isabeau. With great care I send Force healing powers through her limbs, fighting the danger of mortification. When I am finished her skin looks much healthier again.

I step outside the cabin and gaze at the horizon, lost in thought and disbelief not only of what I am doing, but of the danger I will face.

Kairos is a crude man. Instead of using a more sophisticated form of execution he wants to make it a public spectacle. I am worried that Parhelion goes along with it. Using a fanatic priest with a gun is despicable.

“This is going to be a bloody mess,” I softly curse into the sinking sun.

If there is anything that I have learned about Arcānā over the years, it is that the motherly love for her serpent-spawn is real. As a parent I respect that. No doubt that it is part of Kairos plan; disgracing his sister-in-law as a Force witch and psychopathic murderess. I hope he understands there will be many deaths. He could be one of them.

At night fall, I check Isabeau's vitals, repairing all the blood vessels and cells that suffer from her confinement. Then I sink down on the opposite mattress.

This is the first night in three years that I have not kissed my children good-night, and it does not feel right. Restlessly, I toss and turn on the narrow bunk. Then I clasp my hands behind my back and start humming a lullaby. But after a while and with no child around me I feel silly.

Out of habit I gaze over to Isabeau. I cannot stand to see her in restraints; it seems so wrong. I free her by efficiently using the Force on the rope. There is no chance of her waking up before I want her to.

First, I carry my mattress on-deck, then Isabeau. When we were much, much younger we liked to be out in the open desert and gaze into the star-lit sky. The ocean around me is very much like the dune sea.

I lay behind Isabeau and put a blanket over us. It has a soothing effect on my nerves. More memories of old times come back to me.

“I wish you and I could make peace,” I whisper into her hair, moving my hands through the familiar softness. “But after today things can only get worse. I am under no illusion about that. You will never believe a word that I say ever again.”

Around us the world ocean of Amnion murmurs its ancient song. Waves splash against the ship.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    He should never have restrained her. She is his step-sister. Handle her gently Lucien;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    "Der Konjunktiv drückt immer ein Wunschdenken aus, nicht wahr?"

:p

Besides IF he would do the right thing constantly, many would not mistake him with a bad guy.

13. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    It is sad how here I can really understand his actions and thoughts, but it still feels like he is doing the wrong thing by 'saving ' his adopted sister but letting his older brother mind Business he shouldn 't be allowing

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    You are such a clever man. That is one of the reasons why I married you. Another one are your skills in the kitchen department.

*zooms straight on the balcony to the Greek cheese DarthUncle prepared there

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet Nicole, I am tickled and :) !!! to see /read your chummy exchange above. [face_love] You can really feel in this post how conflicted Lucien is - pulled literally in two directions. :( His love for Isabeau has never changed but he feels constrained to act against it. :eek:

=D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    “Who is our visitor? Her scent is unfamiliar to me.”

It's funny to read.

I hate what I must do to Isabeau, but time is of the essence and I have to leave for the harbour.
    Then…don't do it to her? It's not a difficult concept, really.

“This is going to be a bloody mess,” I softly curse into the sinking sun.
    That's an understatement...

“I wish you and I could make peace,” I whisper into her hair, moving my hands through the familiar softness. “But after today things can only get worse. I am under no illusion about that. You will never believe a word that I say ever again.”

I might punch you in the face.​

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    So hard to live a conflict-free life when you're a darksider... :p
    Great chapter, Azure!

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Walk carefully Lucien or there will be trouble.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-Obi-Wan: Thanks for reading & commenting AGAIN! :D

@DarthUncle: Also thanks here, travelling person. You should by a caravan or such a rocket thingy for your back like Boba Fett has... ;)

@Nyota´s Heart: Yepp, Lulu is conflicted. I took this remark from Luke in RotJ towards his father very, very literally.

@SWpants: I sense your anger is strong once more. So I am good at writing him annoying as hell. Like a sort of sand fly. The pity with him is, he really believes in his own.... erm, way. Perhaps he would agree with the song "My way".

@Hazel: Jacen & Vader posed here as idols. Plus every fanatic and/or mad person that I ever saw in "Criminal Minds" There are for example those two episodes with a preacher man who abducts Spencer (Reid).

@Lady_Misty: Let us check your thesis!

Chapter 14: Rush

When the morning comes, I wake from my short slumber with burning eyes. My intuition tells me that we are somewhere half-way between Polysýndeton and its neighbour city state Chelonia. I hurry to the cabin to check the naval instruments, which prove me right.

With much regret I produce Force lightening to destroy Isabeau's hope of a quick return to the Tjiehenet family. The stench of molten steel and burning wires fills the cabin.

When I return to my step-sister's limp body, I tie her against the mast. Once I am finished I relieve her from the Force trance. It will take some time for her to wake up so I bring my mattress back inside.

I feel the tenseness and anger in my step-sister, when I stand in front of the mast again. “Isabeau,” I address her friendly, but I cannot stand to face her. I remain right behind her, only a few inches away. “I know you are awake. Your breathing betrays you.”

The conversation that follows is harsher than I imagined it would be. It wounds me deeply. Not able to stand her scorching hatred any longer, I vanish into thin air. The very moment that I do so, I feel a tremble in the Force. My concentration wavers, blurring the coordinates of my destination.

Suddenly, darkness is all around me, choking me. For a brief heartbeat I think that the dark side has swallowed me, but then realise that I am floating in water. Its coldness drills like a thousand needles into my skin. I was supposed to re-appear in the streets of Polysýndeton and not in the depths of the world ocean.

When I try to teleport again nothing happens. My body remains where it isand the pressure builds. Panic sneaks into my heart. My wet prison closes in on me.

Finally, I send out a desperate call to the one person that comes into my mind.

“Parhelion. Brother. Help me. I am drowning.”

Nothing happens.

Of course he does not care for me. I am nothing to him. He might even feel less for me than my own mother.

“Please, brother!”

A large pot whale passes by, rather irritated at my presence. He swims away as quickly as possible.

My strength wanes.

Breathing becomes a problem.

I close my eyes.

“Please, help me! Parhelion! Please!”

Something wraps around my waist.

Next, a blinding flash of light fills my view.

“You ignorant fool!” exclaims my half-brother.

I cough salty ocean water on his already soaked robe.

“What were you thinking?” Parhelion rants on.

Right now, I think nothing. I am just grateful to be alive.

In a daze, I see Parhelion struggle out of his own wet robes. “You could have drowned,” he snaps.

I want to say something, but then I remember why I was so distressed in the first place.

“There is something amiss in the city,” I say, half-choked still.

Parhelion, busy with drying himself with a towel, looks sorrowful. “Adamah. She freaked out when one of her brothers was gunned down.”

I frown. “She was the tremor in the Force?”

“It was more the Force storm that she set lose on my city. And she is not finished yet, I fear.”

To my annoyance, my skill of apparition is still gone. My body simply refuses to cooperate. I storm out of the city temple, ignoring Parhelion who calls something after me.

There is a lot of screaming and chaos, but that is not my concern. At this point, nobody can help Princess Adamah. She is a brainless pawn for the dark side. I know better than to sacrifice myself on some damn fool idealistic crusade. My family is all that matters. Bereft of my transportation skills I run straight into the Force storm, praying inside my head as I never prayed before.

“Forgive me my sins, O Force, forgive me my sins;
    the sins of my youth, the sins of my age, the sins of my soul,
    the sins of my body; my idle sins, my serious voluntary sins;
    the sins I know, the sins I do not know; the sins I have concealed
    for so long, and which are now hidden from my memory.
    I am truly sorry for every sin, mortal and venial,
    for all the sins of my childhood up to the present hour...”

More smoke and destruction surround me the closer I come to the place that used to be my neighbourhood. The dark side has eaten its way through buildings and biological tissue. There will be no bodies above ground to retrieve. And yet, I detect weak life signs all around me. There are survivors trapped under the skeletons of their former houses, badly injured.

I am just two side streets away from home when I feel it with absolute clarity. It almost sweeps me off my feet. “No,” I gasp. “No!”

More debris rains down on me.

They are gone. Tāchys and Phrēn are gone, burned out of existence.

Tears smart my cheeks. Like a blind man I stumble through the city that is still on fire in some areas. There is an immense ash cloud that hangs above everything.

I collide with the little Tjiehennet witchling and get a meek confession of acts of necromancy, I do not stay. This has to wait. I still feel Sionnach and Éibhear out there. They need me.

Every step that I take through the wasteland is difficult. I need to climb over corpses and gag on the stench of burned human flesh.

Suddenly, there is a familiar face. It is smeared with blood and dirt.

I kneel down in the dust and kiss Éibhear's forehead. His life signs are weak, but steady. He will survive.

“Let us go to the palace,” Parhelion suggests, apparating in front of us. He looks as if he has aged ten years since I saw him last. Deep shadows are under his eyes. There are new lines across his forehead and at his temples. “You carry Sionnach.”

I blink at my unconscious companion, that lies in my half-brother´s arms.

Side by side, Parhelion and I make our way through the city. We pass other people who carry the broken bodies of beloved ones. I dare not look at anybody directly. This is all my fault. All the suffering, all the death around us. I focused on the wrong Tjiehenet. How can I ever undo what happened today?

The archiepiscopal palace comes into my view. It looks like a mirage. While large parts of Polysýndeton are reduced to rubble, its white walls are unblemished. The golden gates are still standing high and erect.

When the guard of honour lets us in, an entire group of concerned clerics swarms around us, trying to help.

I am led into a guest room.

Parhelion takes Sionnach out of my arms. “The boy needs you more than she does.”

Mechanically, I sit down next to Éibhear's sickbed and hold his hand. His heartbeat echoes into my palm. His eyes are closed but he is fully awake and in pain. I try to focus on this pain and do my best to take it away from him. But I achieve nothing. My healing powers seem to be as numb as my heart.

With a moan I clutch the boy to me. Desperation crawls up my spine, seizes me by the chest. I press my mouth to his auburn hair and his temple, kissing him over and over again. “Please, stay with me, Amanthar!” I beg in tears.

After a moment Éibhear lets out a breathy sigh. I feel him relax into my hold. His voice is a mere whisper. “Papa!”

As more tears leak from my eyes, a white light breaks out of my fingertips. I pray to the Force for guidance while my healing gift unfolds, spreading through the boy's gaunt Elfin body.

I only get up from Éibhear's sickbed when a minion of Parhelion tells me that Mistress Aletheia would like to see me in her city villa immediately. “Did she say why?” I ask.

The cleric looks helpless, overtaxed almost. “No, but Mistress Aletheia seemed in great distress.”

Worried about Agathos, I call the senator widow back. “Mistress Aletheia, I beg your pardon that I was out of reach when you called earlier today. My family...”, I break off.

“Oh, Vicomte,” she sobs, her usual confidence and steely air gone. “I feel so guilty that I turn to you in such a desperate hour, but I have no one else to ask. Kairos unleashed his blood hounds and they are after my grandchildren now.”

“What about Agathos?”

“The last time that I saw him, Narthex was about to carry him to the hospital.” She fights against her tears. “He had a heart attack on the temple stairs.”

“I will visit him at once,” I promise, but then my thoughts drift away from the conversation. Somebody dares to spy on us.

Mistress Altetheia tiptoes in when I turn to stare at her. Her voice is soft. “Vicomte, I hate to ask this of you, but Grianán is here with me. She barely survived a raid of the Blood Hounds. Please bring her into safety. I cannot trust any of my servants with her life. They are all on Kairos' side now.”

“Why is your grandchild at the villa anyway?”

“She was clever enough to activate their special crisis unit.”

“But the royal family needs a safe place to stay until the Draconian soldiers arrive,” I muse.

“Your Embassy perhaps?” the old woman suggests carefully. “Kairos is too afraid to seek a direct confrontation with you.”

A meek smile spreads on my lips. “Of course, Mistress Aletheia. Lock yourself in his office until I arrive. I won't be long!”

If I cannot participate in Agathos' healing process, I can at least be there for his favourite daughter. There has been enough death in the ranks of the royal family for today.

(To be continued!)

DarthUncle likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intense and heart-wrenching =D= The personal losses weigh heavily. :(

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    He truly does believe he is in the right. It's sad he refuses to listen to others.

“Isabeau,” I address her friendly, but I cannot stand to face her. I remain right behind her, only a few inches away. “I know you are awake. Your breathing betrays you.”

Grow a pair and face her! For being so powerful, he's an absolute wimp.

“Parhelion. Brother. Help me. I am drowning.”

I laugh at you.

“Adamah. She freaked out when one of her brothers was gunned down.”

Well that I turly can't blame her for.

More smoke and destruction surround me the closer I come to the place that used to be my neighbourhood. The dark side has eaten its way through buildings and biological tissue. There will be no bodies above ground to retrieve. And yet, I detect weak life signs all around me. There are survivors trapped under the skeletons of their former houses, badly injured.

:( :( *whimpers*
    I hate such pointless destruction.

The children! :_|

“Mistress Aletheia, I beg your pardon that I was out of reach when you called earlier today. My family...”, I break off.

I'm glad she understands, but I'm not glad the hounds are after her family.
    So much darkness...

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Started to read this and then got recruited to pick, wash and sort spinach.

Looks like guilt for things beyond their control runs in the Skywalker Line.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Misty said:

Looks like guilt for things beyond their control runs in the Skywalker Line.

Running down through a shocking number of years. :p :rolleyes:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    all the destruction and Lucien's children . That's what the dark side is doing to beings, destruction and mayhem

Nyota's Heart and AzureAngel2 like this.
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks, Nyota's Heart. Let me wrench your heart a bit more, but not without to put a wee smile on your face as well.

As I can clearly see, SWpants, your heart had a tough ride here, too. You even feel a bit sorry for Lucien as well... awww!

@Lady_Misty, indeed such an inherited guilt exists...

@Nyota's Heart, how shocking a revelation... :p;)

True and wise words, earlybird-obi-wan! @};-

Several hours before a being's death, their aura turns white, and greatly increases in its intensity. When I behold the witchling in her uncle's office, she burns as bright as a diamond. Something loosens deep within my chest.

With the promise to her grandmother that I will keep her safe, I leave the villa with Grianán light in my arms. Sorrow and agony radiate from her.

I hurry through the city to the marketplace. There, I find two of the royal princes in great distress. The blood-thirsty mob closes in on them, while they try to protect the severely burned body of Arcānā. I decide to leave it for Parhelion and his guard of honour to offer a helping hand. I cannot allow for a child to die on my watch.
    Tonnerre opens the front door of the Embassy after I knock at the door like some lunatic.

Somewhere in the building, I can hear children cry inconsolably. The royal princesses and princes are already here. I also hear Narthex talking to them in a broken voice.

“The special crisis unit?” I inquire.

“Commander Apis and her women will be here in half an hour, milord.” Tonnerre opens every further door for me that needs opening. “Our men are outside, guarding the premises. The Blood Hounds abound in this area. Until now they have not noticed that you lured their prey away.”

“We will keep it that way.” I place the dying witchling on my desk. “Do not alert anybody to my presence. I need to concentrate on this one. If Narthex wants to see me, please let him only; not any of her siblings!”

Tonnerre bows wordlessly and hurries off again.

I kneel in front of the witchling and murmur gentle words into her ears. Words that I have given my own children in times of distress. Tears leak out of my eyes, hot and silent. Underneath my breath I speak a prayer for guidance and strength. I dare to address the goddess of healing and music that my people worship, along with her mother Sodalith.

“Calme, I come before you tonight knowing that all power is in Your hands. I know that you are the Lady and that you care for your people.

But this little Draconian girl here is struggling with a difficult trial. I can see her strength is faltering, Lady, and know that you have all of the strength that she needs.

I pray that you will reach down and touch her now. Let your presence fill her heart and let her feel an extra portion of your strength to help her to get through this night and tomorrow.

She needs you now, Lady, and I thank you in advance for meeting her and sharing your energies during this difficult time.”

With the last words gone from my lips, white light spreads from my palms. I direct it into the witchling's body.

The internal damage is worse than I initially thought; her organs are damaged, and several arteries and veins allowed vast amounts of blood to escape the circulatory system and collect inside her body. I need to repair each cell, and blood vessel one-by-one.

Is Her Highness staying with you?” a female voice asks somewhere behind me, tearing me out of my trance.

My breath leaves my throat in an audible rush. I feel surprisingly drained and disoriented. With my right hand, I seek support from the desk, but the other remains above my patient's heart chakra. I cannot cut our physical connection. At this point, it would be fatal to both of us.

“Com...commander Apis, I assume?” The words do not leave my mouth easily. I am half-way between the spirit world and the physical one.

“At your service, milord.” Military boots click over the mosaic stones as the high ranked officer marches towards me. “I am sorry that I am interrupting your healing session, but time is of the essence.”

Surprised by the absolute sincerity of the commander, I try to smile. Using telepathy is too intimate for me, so I force another answer out of my mouth. Each syllable feels like a marathon. “There... there is... no... no need... for... for apologies.”

“I gather that Her Highness is not going anywhere in her fragile state?” Her voice is heavy with both frustration and resignation.

My office door opens with a loud bang.

“I'll stay behind with Grianán if you don't mind,” Narthex croaks from the hall, lowering his walking stick as he speaks.

“Crazy old fool!” snaps the commander, but I cannot help detecting a gruff tenderness in her words.

“You will not argue with me in this, Misera,” Narthex reasons calmly without moving away from the door frame. “With my son-in-law being knocked out and Caelestris not in a state to perform her new duties, I am the law of the House Tjiehenet for the time being.”

The commander barely suppresses her snarl of rage. She grits her teeth and her nostrils flare, while she marches towards Narthex and grabs him by the shoulders. Her fern-green eyes are fierce with love and possessiveness.

“Sorry sweetheart.” The elderly master valet slides his fingers under her chin and lightly kisses her lips. “I haven't got time for anything else. Do what must be done. Get my family out of...”

An ear-piercing scream echoes through my office.

Instinctively, my left hand comes off my patient's chest and flies to the handle of my scimitar. The sudden physical separation feels like a spear drilling into my heart chakra, the centre of my being. I gasp for air, placing my fingers back on her skin. It soothes me instantly. I have never experienced that with any patient before.

When I look towards the door, still dazed and confused, Commander Apis holds on to a girl of about six years of age. At least the creature looks like an ash-blond girl, but she struggles and kicks like some monkey haunted by a swarm of jungle bees.

Books rise from my shelves, attacking me. Office implements come alive. The ink pot empties itself above my head.

“Daná!” bellows Narthex, his expression dark. “Behave, in the Name of the Force!”

“Murderer!” The girl spits into my direction. Her face is a bizarre mask of loathing and hatred.

Narthex is visibly shocked as he reaches out for his granddaughter. “Daná, there is no harm being done in here. The Vicomte is a Force healer, and is helping your sister.”

“No,” the girl roars. “He wants to finish Gri off. Look at his big red hands. They like cutting people apart.”

“Daná, compose yourself!” urges Narthex. “The right to hospitality is holy to a Lidérc”

“Holy, my ar...”

Before the girl can say more, Commander Apis uses an old martial arts movement on her neck and Daná loses consciousness. “We have had quite enough of this nonsense, thank you.” She exchanges a meaningful look with Narthex before she raises her voice to echo through the room. “Operation Snake Egg. We are off. My patience is wearing thin.”

In the distance I hear child voices calling out Grianán's name in protest. There is also Tonnerre's soft timbre, trying to calm the royal offspring.

“Your sister is not dead, I assure you, but she cannot answer your telepathic calls when she is deep in a healing trance.”

Smiling, I return my attention to my patient. Her heartbeat seems more steady. Her aura is bright-pink and light again, but there are still some muddy grey spots here and there, forming clusters of fear in critical areas.

“You still have a long way to go, young one,” I whisper. “I am afraid you have to stick around for a while. Just to prove me that I am totally wrong about you. I need to know. And you need a chance to turn out right after all. ”

Once the squirming serpent-spawn is carried off by members of the crisis unit I send Narthex to bed. The elderly master valet walks off as stiff as a robot unit with Tonnerre assisting him.

Grianán is still lying on my desk. I put a pillow under her head and gave her my cloak as a blanket. Her inner bleeding has stopped, but her recovery will take a while. The dark side took its toll on her, especially given her young age.

I ask Tonnerre to fetch me a bowl with warm water, a sponge and lavender soap. Once I have all these items ready, I start cleaning my patient thoroughly, thinking about my family.

Éibhear and his mother are both in a healing trance, safe from harm at the archiepiscopal palace. And Agathos has skilled doctors from Cunabula to nurse him back into health.

Grianán's hair gives me the greatest resistance, but I succeed in removing all the blood and debris from it without being forced to cut it off. When my fingers close around the hair brush, I am reminded of Tāchys. With stinging eyes, I comb through the blond hair until it is smooth and shiny. Then I start to braid it.

(To be continued!)

DarthUncle likes this.