main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Null Arc 11 0rdo

Null Arc 11 0rdo Jedi Knight

Jun 25, 2014
    I've read through most of the posts on this thread and I'd like to just throw in my two cents.

I grew up with Star Wars, they've always been my favorite movies, and while the movies are amazing the books were so much more. The EU built upon the foundation GL laid and created a story the transcended the big screen. It introduced some of the greatest characters in Star Wars. The stories weren't always the best in fact some were pretty hard to read. But for everyone bad one there was a story that captured everything that made Star Wars epic from the beginning. One filled with heroes and villains, soaring space battles and the hum of lightsabers. Dozens of authors spent years building a complex and rich backstory for this galaxy Far far away, and I enjoyed losing myself in it for hours on end. It wasn't perfect, with so many of authors, book, stories, games, and comics there were bound to be disagreements. EU haters point to this as the EU's weakness but these "disagreements" became part of the tale. The Star Wars saga was a living story with a few details that sometimes just came down to "a certain point of view".

When I heard Disney acquired Star Wars I was nervously optimistic, we were going to get more Star Wars. It was probably going to change a few things, no book completely survives a movie adaptation. But In spite of that I was excited. Jaina, Jacen, Anakin and a whole cast of other characters brought to life. Finally a chance for the non reading crowd to see what they'd been missing.

But instead they decided to throw it all out.

I understand, they paid for it. Lucas got a ton of money and Disney got the rights to a media franchise. A media franchise that will make them billions of dollars. But as a fan, as every fan of every show, movie, or franchise shares, I feel like a little bit of Star Wars belongs to me. I've bought it, I've paid for it time and time again. I've spent hours upon hours reading the books,getting to know my way around, learning the names, meeting the people, playing the games, watching and rewatching the movies. I've debated the tiniest details with friends for hours, because this was Star Wars and it mattered to us. This wasn't some comic book that got rebooted every ten to twenty years so the company could make more money. Star Wars was so much more then that, but suddenly its not any more.
    To quote my friend and fellow Star Wars enthusiast
    "That's what made Star Wars special. You had a multitude of stories bases on a movie series that (with few exception) harmonized with one another and respected the other authors and fans. All of that gets tossed out the window with this "new galaxy" ...Star Wars becomes something less special than what it originally was." - Jettymasher

I'll still watch the new movies, I've spent far too many years with Star Wars to skip out on them. They may be awesome stories, I hope they will be. I hope Abrams manages to capture the magic of Star Wars and he uses the characters that have been created and developed in the EU. But even if he pulls it off it won't feel the same. Because its not. Because a Disney executive decided to wipe the slate clean for creative freedom.

Despite all of this Star Wars will always remain at the top of my favorites. Because there won't ever be a story that can come close, because part of it belongs to me, because part of it belongs to every one whose ever seen the movie or ever read the books.

Null

2. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

[​IMG]

Well said... =D=

3. Wannabe Scholar

Wannabe Scholar Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2014
    We all know that the Star Wars Expanded Universe has been removed from Star Wars canon and placed in the "Legends" category. I understand that all new books, comics, and such will be part of a new official EU. But can new content still be added to the Legends category? Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm just curious.

EDIT: Merged with existing discussion.

spicer likes this.
  4. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

No, it probably won't. The point of decanonising the previous EU, was so that anything new SW-related produced by Disney would be canon. If the new stuff was moved to the Legends category, then it would turn out to be pointless that Disney made the EU not canon.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Some new stuff might be neither Legends nor "canon" but Infinities - like upcoming books in Brown's series (which currently consists of Vader & Son, Vader's Little Princess, Jedi Academy).

6. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

I am not aware with this concept. I know the books, but I am not sure what "Infinities" mean; is it for books that do not provide new storylines to the GFFA, and are comical like the ones you mentioned?

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Infinities is anything that's not connected to the main timeline - contradicting the movies in particular tends to be a trait of those.

The Infinities comics ask "what if" and carry on from there.

ANH Infinities: "What if Luke's torpedoes failed to actually blow up the Death Star?"
    TESB Infinities: "What if Luke died in that Hoth blizzard"
    ROTJ Infinities: "What if Jabba refused to back down when disguised Leia threatened him with a thermal detonator"

The Tag & Bink comics are more comical - they are a sort of Rozencrantz & Guildenstern of Star Wars.

8. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Aha! I've read these comics. Absolutely loved them! I was just unaware they were considered Infinities. Now I understand what you mean by Infinities.
    Thanks for clarifying that. :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You actually thought Mon Mothma was referring to a guy called Manny Both-Hanz when she mentioned it in ROTJ? ;)

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  10. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

[face_rofl]

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure if any completely new Legends things will come out - but there's a few projects that were conceived before the announcement - Rebel Heist, The Imperial Handbook, etc that may still be considered Legends after they come out. We'll have to wait and see.

12. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Oh yeah, you are right.
    I think they will be considered Legends, if they are anything like the Book of the Sith/Jedi.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Rebel Heist is a comic, showing the main characters of SW through the eyes of bit-part players - but The Imperial Handbook is the fourth of these new splatbooks (the previous 3 were The Jedi Path, Book of Sith, and The Bounty Hunter's Code.

14. lotusflow3r

lotusflow3r Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2014
    The problem in the end with the decanonization is that it'll only antagonize... fans. Fans will go see the new movies anyway. Fans will buy the new novels and comics anyway. What Disney couldn't afford is to antagonize the general audience, those people who go watch the films and may even buy a novel or comic every once in a while but are not real SW fans: those are the people who make the money, not us fanboys. We are an acquired and minority target audience. Disney can mess up anyway they want with SW as long as WE are the only ones upset, they just don't lose a single customer, and in the end this is all a business, nothing else. Same goes with Marvel by the way: they can do whatever they want with the movies that may antagonize fanboys, fanboys will be in the theaters anyway and they'll keep buying the comics just as much...

Vizzy91, sarlaccsaurs-rex and Qymaen like this.
  15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just because someone is a casual SW fan doesn't mean they are not a real SW fan. Some people have invested more time and money into SW than others. It doesn't give any of us more say than others in where George Lucas or Disney decides to take the franchise. I am a SW fan because I chose to be. I stay with it as long as I want or leave whenever I want. No one owes me dinner with my favorite character or a spin off movie about X-wing pilots (even though I would probably go see it multiple times ;) ).

Yes, in the end they are trying to please the most people possible. They are not trying to antagonize anyone. Someone is going to feel hurt, or slighted, or wronged no matter what path they were to take.

So I'm staying! At least until I see Episode VII I will remain positive.

Psychenous likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ultimately it is about the money. They care about the business.

Qymaen likes this.
  17. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Well sure. Making movies is a business. It's their jobs to maximize profits and make the business grow. And Star Wars has always been a gold mine. So from a business standpoint they made a very good decision selling to Disney. Profits for everyone. Business decisions hurt people one way or the other all the time. Bankruptcy, layoffs, benefit cutbacks, etc. I myself was a victim of a business decision and I am still bitter about it, but I will get through it. This whole thing is annoying at times to me too, but in the grand scale of things it's really not all that relevant. Business can be very cold and heartless, no doubt about it, but it is what it is. Star Wars fan for life anyway.

Runjedirun likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In my head, I don't care what anyone says, Manny Both-Hanz is who she was talking about.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I don't know much about the EU, but I was just looking at the Star Wars wiki today & they've added separate tabs ("Canon" & "Legends") to many of the articles or labeled many of the articles "Legends". Take a look at the "Anakin Skywalker" article & you'll see what I mean! So much of the information I've always known as canon is now labeled "Legends"! I mean, they've even labeled many of the Force powers (including "Force Healing") as "Legends"! It's ridiculous! This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of! I don't care what they say, I'm just going to ignore this decision of theirs & make my own decision as to what is canon or not! Is anyone else going to just ignore this decision of theirs?

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  20. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    I really REALLY hope you're wrong. I know the PT had it's bad moments, but if Disney were to do this, I really think it would be a suicidal move on their part. I think there would be A LOT of backlash from the fans if they were to even consider it.

21. Taelin Thurn

Taelin Thurn Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2014
    I honestly lost all interest in the Disney Trilogy when they said they were completely throwing out the EU. It felt like a slap in the face from Mickey Mouse himself.

I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life, been a fan of the EU since there really was an EU. For Disney to say "that doesn't matter, it's garbage and we're going to ignore it" makes me genuinely angry. It makes me feel betrayed and insulted.

I stood in line to watch midnight showings of the prequels as they came out. Right now, I've got so much contempt for Disney that as far as I'm concerned, this "new canon" is about as relevant to me as the Abramsverse Star Trek continuity is to most Trekkies.

I'll stick with my EU, I guess the call it "Legends" now. Disney can't take my books from me, they can't shred my discs of the GOOD Clone Wars series from a decade ago, they can't take a quarter century of fandom away from me, even if they insult it with everything they do.

22. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    I think there will be loads of backlash from fans & negative side effects because of this decision. I think they'll be losing millions of dollars from the sale of EU-related merchandise because of this. This was a very stupid decision of theirs in my opinion. Just to ask: does anyone know if the EU-related merchandise (books, comics, etc.) will stop being printed (the official word about it)?

23. Taelin Thurn

Taelin Thurn Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2014

They won't stop reprinting all of it, that's why they rebranded the old EU continuity as "Star Wars Legends", as a brand they could label old EU materials with so they could say it's not part of the new Disney-era Canon.

24. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    They are not discarding the EU because "it's garbage", they are discarding it because way to many important events have happened between the years of Ep. VI & Ep. VII, which can only be known by those that have read the books/comics, which are too many. Those that have only watched the movies would be lost.

To put it simple, the EU had grown too big, too complicated, and too vital. By eliminating everything, they can be free to do whatever they want with the Sequel Trilogy, the Spin-Offs, Rebels, and whatever else comes next.

25. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    Yes, well, I've never read anything to do with the EU, so I'm not an expert, but I wish they wouldn't get rid of at least some things (e.g., Clone Wars microseries, ROTS videogame, Darkhorse comics with Clone Wars (e.g., "Omnibus" series), Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Revan, the Old Jedi Order, and the events between ROTS/ ANH & each OT movie (e.g., Vader's post-ROTS missions & his dark apprentices (Starkiller)), & New Jedi Order & Leia & Luke's families (especially Anakin Solo) (was really hoping to see some of these in the new movies)). I mean, there are some things about the post-ROTJ era that I didn't like (the constant wars, resurgence of the Sith, the Yuzhan Vong), but I still would have liked to see other things kept as canon. It's disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.