main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Something that's been on my mind about the NJO today is the magical sword of the series: Anakin Solo's lightsaber. It plays a pretty significant role in the events, being the then-unknown object of Jacen's prophecy in Balance Point, the weapon wielded by Ganner, the first clue to the Yuuzhan Vong's presence in the Force, yet at the conclusion it turns out to be something of a red herring:

He understood at last why he had failed to catch Anakin's lightsaber when Luke had tossed it to him: he was never meant to catch it, because he had become the lightsaber. He had attained the ability to cut through any resistance in himself; to sever the bonds of preconception; to open a gaping hole into a reality more expansive than any he had ever dared imagine; to heal.

Something, perhaps superficial in terms of plot depth, which occurred to me is that Jacen is described here as having become the lightsaber, but Jaina is the one that Luke calls the Sword of the Jedi.

This moment reminds me of Buddha speaking of having a mind like a diamond, which can cut through everything but not be cut itself. The same can be said of a lightsaber blade.

I suppose that Jacen becoming the lightsaber also indicates that Anakin's lightsaber was an incomplete attempt to understand the symbiotic potential with the Yuuzhan Vong, with Jacen more directly merging with them through his slave seed, and through that achieving an innate vongsense through which he realized the truth of Zonama Sekot and the Yuuzhan Vong. I suppose in that case, what is the importance of the lightsaber? From a behind the scenes perspective, it seems to be ambiguous whether it was even part of the series bible since it was introduced in Greg Keyes' novel that replaced a cancelled novel (which would not have featured Anakin, at least prominently). But it certainly became important with its first hint at Vongsense and in Traitor and The Unifying Force. It's an important symbol for Jacen in Traitor about who he is -- it is essential to his "I am a Jedi" moment in that novel:

Jacen saw with preternatural clarity the choice he was being offered. The opportunity.
    Anakin's lightsaber. Anakin had made it. Anakin had used it. It had changed him, and he had transformed it. Its crystal was not like those of other lightsabers, but was a living Vonglife gem.
    Part Jedi. Part Yuuzhan Vong, he thought. Almost like me.
    They were offering him Anakin's life: his spirit, his skill, his courage.
    His violence.
    Jacen had first used a lightsaber in combat at the age of three. He was a natural.
    And now he could feel the Yuuzhan Vong. And the Force was with him.
    He could follow Anakin's path. He could be pure warrior. He could be even greater than his brother had been: with the dark power he could command, he could surpass any living Jedi, even Uncle Luke. Surpass even the Jedi Knights of old.
    He could be the greatest sword of the Force who had ever lived.
    More: He could avenge his brother with the weapon his brother had forged.
    I could pick that up, he thought, and kill them all.
    Is that who I am?
    Is that who I want to be?

And it's important to Ganner's:

Ganner didn't move.
    Illumination burst within his brain.
    In that instant, everything finally made sense. He understood what Jacen had been talking about. There was nothing to fear.
    He understood the power of being who he was.
    He didn't even really have to know who he was. He could decide.
    He could choose, and act.
    Suddenly, his life made sense. His life had been a story of pretending to be a hero. Well, he thought. Okay, then.
    His nausea had vanished. It wasn't even a memory. No more weakness. No more uncertainty. Doubt and fear had disappeared along with the nausea.
    He hefted Anakin's lightsaber.
    "We both lose unless" -- he spoke slowly -- "unless somebody doesn't let them in."
    "You have to play the hero," Jacen said sadly. "Even if it kills you."
    Ganner squeezed the blade to life, and stared at its sizzling purple shaft. Here was the weapon of a hero. A real hero. Not a playactor. Not a pretend-hero, like Ganner had always been.
    But this weapon was now in Ganner's hand.
    I don't have to be a real hero, he thought. A dazzling, old-Ganner, forget-the-consequences-and-have-some-fun smile dawned on his face. He shook himself and years fell from his shoulders; his eyes lit up, sparking like arc gaps in the red-lit gloom. He felt shiny as a war droid and twice as tough.
    I don't have to be a hero, he thought in silent wonder. All I have to do is pretend.

Is there perhaps symbolism to Jacen not catching the lightsaber, not needing it? Or rather, added context with these scenes from Traitor in mind?

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

he did earn major cache with the brilliance of Star by Star. I do like some of his novels. Star By Star, Inferno, Abyss.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ar'krai is, very vaguely, the reason why Kre'fey is shuffled out of the story and doesn't get to be Supreme Commander anymore so Sovv can be dragged back into the spotlight just in time to be murdered so Pellaeon can be Supreme Commander for whatever reason and we don't have any confusion about who the GA's genius Bothan admiral is now (it's Nek Bwua'tu, SUPERGENIUS).

This continues the pattern of only mentioning things from the NJO when attempting to piss all over the NJO.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Kre'fey was way more engaging the Bwua'tu!

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I would have been amused if the EU didn't get destroyed and the Legacy era was wrestled away from Denning and Stackpole came back or something and we learn that Kre'fey set up his New Republic equivalent of the Empire of the Hand in the Unknown Regions while looking for Zonama Sekot.

YeahOkayCool and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone have a theory as to why they didn't follow up on Anakin's saber in the tree?

Given what followed probably best they didn't but, at the time, that scene was and remains one of the things everyone likes about TUF.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I'd like to think it's because planting a mythological weapon somewhere for a future hero to find and then bringing it back after only a few years would have been super lame, but they probably just forgot.

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Maybe John Boyega plucks it out of continuity snarl in Episode VII?

Guxman, Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Surprised denning didn't have jaina kill jacen with it

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Man, get over it, already. :p

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Never.

/rhett

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have to admit that I am surprised that Jaina didn't take Anakin's saber and kill Jacen with it as well.
    Knowing Denning it got destroyed in the firebombing.
    Wish for the 2nd series of Legacy that Ania picked up it up.

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    You know he beat the Thrawn simulator. He is smarter and a better commander than Thrawn!

Apparently the Thrawn simulator is able to accurately determine his opponents' species from their battle tactics and customize a strategy against them exploiting their biological and cultural blind spots as determined from their art. I don't know why the GA didn't give one fleet to Bwua'tu and the rest to Thrawn simulators. Politics, I bet.

CT-867-5309, Yoda_S and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yep. Makes sense! :rolleyes:

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So I listened to the audio book of The Unifying Force. It abridged where Jacen doesn't catch Anakin's lightsaber -- the action still takes place but it isn't stressed as being significant that he didn't catch it until the moment I previously quoted. Jacen's apotheosis is ruined by the fact that his battle with Onimi uses duel of the fates, but the music is from the film's soundtrack so while Jacen is achieving this deeper insight to the Force, it's playing the music where Jar Jar is juggling plasma balls and crushing his groin on an ATT canon and whatnot. Completely ruined the moment.

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    There should be an NJO soundtrack taken from other movies. Onimi's theme could be the Joker's waltz from the '89 Batman movie. And Ganner's could be the theme riff from Pacific Rim.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  19. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone else has potential themes for moments in the NJO?

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I generally don't associate non-SW music with Star Wars, truthfully. And the TPM and AoTC soundtracks were part of the zeitgeist when I read the NJO. For Ganner's last stand, the music that the audio book uses fits really well.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    For some reason, what comes to mind is not scores from other movies, but songs by hard rock bands I listened to in the 80s.

"Highway to Hell" could be Vong entrance music.

"Black and Blue" works for Balance Point.

"Love Walks In" for Jaina and Jag, and for Luke and Mara..."Pour Some Sugar On Me."

And "Paradise City" played in the background while Coruscant is being terraformed.

Riv_Shiel and DigitalMessiah like this.
  24. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    "Shoot to Thrill" for Kyp's squadron's theme music.

"Highway to the Danger Zone" would be Rogue Squadron's.

"Dreams" by Van Halen would work for Luke's squadron.

And for Twin Sun's squadron, "Aces High" by Iron Maiden.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That actually makes a lot of sense.