main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I was concerned for a moment. :p

Nice - hope that they win, so you can see the Crew beat them next round.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The AO Denver guys keep trying to recruit me to C38 (Rapids Supporters Group).

3. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Stay strong. [face_flag]

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Ever been to a soccer game where the ref handed out four red cards and was still way too lenient? Tonight, I was. Crazy game between Rapids and Silverbacks.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Anyone else seriously missing Landon Donovan? :_|

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Orlando introduced Kaka yesterday as the first huge signing for the expansion MLS club.

Villa and Lampard are expected to play with Melbourne City until NYCFC begins play in March of next year. Cannot wait to see Super Frankie with the MLS.

Even though these are aging stars, they're still huge signings for the league.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    There is only one Super Frank in MLS ...

[​IMG]

He's a Super Frank
    Super Frank
    He's Super Frankie

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Coming soon to a Yankee Stadium near you...

[​IMG]

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I will refuse to recognize/call him that. The only Super Frank in MLS history played in a Dos a Cero. He scored on Mexico. He hoisted the MLS Cup alongside the great GBS.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    First stab at a way-too-early 23 for 2018:

GK: Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson, Cody Cropper/Clint Irwin

DEF: Fabian Johnson, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, DeAndre Yedlin, John Brooks, Greg Garza, Geoff Cameron

MID: Michael Bradley, Julian Green, Wil Trapp, Brek Shea, Mix Diskerud, Joe Coronoa, Jose Torres, Gedion Zelalem, Josh Gatt/Joe Gyau

ST: Jozy Altidore, Juan Agudelo, Terrance Boyd, Aron Jóhannsson

(And, yes, I know, it's cheating to put up 25 players)

That's pretty good. Of course, that's assuming Zelalem and Garza select the US. But, it also doesn't account for anyone coming through the pipeline we don't know yet. I mean, four years ago Yedlin was in high school being recruited to play for the Akron Zips. And yesterday he was our most dangerous outfield player.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    God, it is truly infuriating listening to Deep South sports talk radio the day after we exit the World Cup. Tim Howard being compared to Tony Romo by Jimmie Lee from Tuscaloosa.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WTF? Romo?

heels1785 and Darth McClain like this.
  13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Wow...that's a terrible analogy all around.

I had forgotten that Jose Torres is 26. I had him pegged as older than that.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    "What's so special about a team that went 1-2-1" and "Why are we celebrating losers, we have the best athletes in the world and should be winning tournaments like this" were also common themes.

Generally from the same people who called in to offer their genius, unsolicited pregame analysis over the last few weeks, such as how we "matched up well against the Germans."

I'd change the channel, but it's like watching a train wreck. So bad, but fascinating still.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I did it for fun and got the Timbers. Yeah...not happening.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I got New York Red Bulls which sort of makes sense, but I'm jumping to NYCFC anyway.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Houston Dynamo for me, lol. I did see the Battery beat them once here in Charleston, though.

NYCFC for me.

19. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I got the Vancouver Whitecaps!

Edit: When I did it a second time and picked the other choices when I was torn I ended up with the LA Galaxy.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the Galaxy are your team, 'sey. Not just for Landon, but he'd be enough.

Edit: L.A.. Is far, far away from you. So, they'd be your "Galaxy, far far away"

DarthTunick and s65horsey like this.
  21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Hahaha! I love it! Ok fine the Galaxy are my team. Landon Donovan [face_love]

Is it horrible that when the US was down that last game all I could think about was "This is what happens when you leave your best player back in the states." =((

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Went to the Rapids-Crew game in Denver last night. A recap, in homage to DarthTunick

The Good: Crew for a result on the road. In a tough place to play. First time they've gotten a point - our even scored a goal - in Colorado since I moved here. Jairo Arrieta looked good, Ethan Finley looked dangerous, and Will Trapp looked healthy. On the Rapids side, USMNT prospect Clint Irwin had an amazing game. Bonus: I got a point and a thumbs up from Michael Parkhurst as he went to the locker room at halftime.

The bad: Poor finishing from Columbus. The Crew dominated 70 minutes of the game, and should have gotten all three points. Some of it was Irwin playing out of his mind, but a lot of it was Columbus being poor in the final third. The referee was atrocious. Just awful. On both sides.

The ugly: The Rapids organization, once again, took away my designated away supporters section and sold tickets to Rapids fans, including families with young children. Being demonstrating that the Rapids still do not understand soccer culture, it lead to: four altercations in our section, me being heckled in my own section, me being told to shut up in my own section, and my wife being verbally and physically assaulted.

DarthTunick likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I almost didn't want to 'like' the post due to parts of the 'ugly' section, but I'm flattered that my old style of recapping games-well, Dodger games-, is still remembered.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I <3 Dom Dwyer. Scores a goal, runs to the supporters, grabs a cell phone, and takes a selfie.

solojones - if you're not a Sporting KC fan yet, you should be.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Got a yellow for it too.

[​IMG]