main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In Raiders-related news, stuntman Terry Richards has passed away. You'll remember him as the sword-wielding man shot by Indiana in RotLA.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    RotLA
    KotCS
    LC
    ToD

Haters gonna hate.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I notice there's quite a few rankings where KOTCS is coming in second place, seems to be getting a better reception overtime.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    It's by no means a bad movie to me. It may not be as good as the previous Indy films, but I still hold it in high regards.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I like it a lot as well. I find it's a movie that time has been very good to over the course of the past half-decade.

6. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Forgot to comment on that before. R.I.P., such a great moment in the film.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Not just in the film, but an iconic scene in cinema history too.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Sure is.

That reminds, favorite scene per movie would be good to add on our rankings.

9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Crusade. (Connery does it for me!)
    Raiders
    Doom

Skull

Sarge likes this.
  10. The Force Hammer

The Force Hammer Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2014
    Crusade
    Ark
    Temple
    Skull

Sarge likes this.
  11. TheSequelTrilogy

TheSequelTrilogy Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2014
    1. Raiders

2. Temple

3. Last Crusade

4. Crystal Skull

Raiders is a classic that still holds up today, the other sequels are forgettable.

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002

Mod warning: Contains material that may be offensive

WriterMan likes this.
  13. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

I think they all do, but Raiders is definitely one of a kind.

14. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I recently uncovered my old copy of the book, From Star Wars To Indiana Jones: The Best Of The LucasFilm Archives. Seek it out ASAP if you've never read it. I've owned it since the mid-90s and it covers the original three Star Wars and Indy films. All sorts of great production stills and artwork and prop pictures and it goes into tons of detail about the making of all six of them. Highly recommended reading for both SW and Indy fans. Both sets of films get equal coverage and attention, and the Indy section is amazing, too.

AndyLGR likes this.
  15. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    After my most recent runthrough of the series for the first time I've done in a good while, my ranking remains the same:

TOD
    ROTLA
    KOTCS
    TLC

All excellent films, though. A tremendous series.

16. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    maybe I'll have to watch them all again but at the moment probably:
    TLC
    KOTCS
    ROTLA
    TOD

17. Mathieu

Mathieu Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2014
    Awesome book. Too bad the cover of my copy has started to discolor a bit. But definitely a must have for any movie fan!

18. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    1) Last Crusade, 2) Raiders of the Lost Ark, 3) Temple of Doom. Though I really do love all of them. I think there was a fourth movie in there somewhere, but I seem to have blocked it out? I didn't mind Young Indy, though.

Anyway. Last Crusade comes first, because,

Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. Best duo EVER. I've seen all three of the Indy movies over thirty times, could write the entire script to all of them from memory if I was ever asked, and even though I know exactly what's coming, I still can't stop myself from cracking up after Sean Connery appears on screen. ("I should have mailed it to the Marx brothers." "She talks in her sleep." "Son, I'm sorry: they got us!" Etc).

The entire character development we get with Indy. Both in terms of his family, and his origin story at the beginning. It's not watching how he gets his hat, or his fashion sense, or his fondness for whips; the real value of the opening sequence is watching him get his life lesson. Namely, not everybody agrees with you that "that belongs in a museum;" there are people out there who will plunder the tombs for their own profit and not give a crap how much history and culture they're destroying; and you can't always count on the law to stop them even if it knows about them. That lesson is the reason Indy goes on to be a bruiser and gunslinger instead of a pure researcher like his father.

Elsa's easily my favorite of the three heroines. Besides the twist of her not being what she appeared to be, I liked the fact that she was an archaeologist too, who was in the same space as Indy intellectually. She could keep pace with him in a way Marion and Willie never could.

The bad guys... well, the main villain is easily the weakest of the trilogy, but having the Nazis back bigger and badder than ever (complete with a cameo for Hitler) more than made up for it. Let's face it, when we say "Indy villain," that's who really comes to mind.

Great action sequences - the ten minutes on the tank were my favorite in the franchise, and one of my favorite action sequences of all time, but the entire movie from the moment they arrive at Grunwald Castle to the airplane chase, too.

And of course, they used the most iconic artifact in the history of the Western world as the Macguffin.

It wasn't perfect, but definitely my favorite of the series and might just be my favorite movie ever. (Star Wars edges out Indiana Jones as a franchise, but I'm not sure it does when you compare all the films individually).

Sarge and AndyLGR like this.
  19. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Raiders
    Temple
    Crusade and Kingdom are equal.

20. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Mine has some wear on it but a used copy in good shape can be purchased for a pretty small amount.

21. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

We think quite alike. I rate the series similarly to this.

Rabs likes this.
  22. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    Raiders
    Temple
    Crystal Skull
    Last Crusade (when this one came out, I totally despised it, but I've kind of warmed to it over the past decades...but it's still my least favorite Indy film)

23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Here my favorite Jones films

1. Last Crusade
    2. Raiders
    3. Temple
    4.Skull

Sarge likes this.
  24. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Raiders
    Doom
    Skull
    Crusade

Doom Trooper likes this.
  25. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

I don't dislike it at all but like you it's the one I enjoy the least, though it's still entertaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.