main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars and sexuality

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IG_2000, Jul 4, 2014.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    This is NOT supposed to be a troll topic, and a thread like this can be easily derailed, so lets keep it college lecture on human sexuality level.

Lets take a look at George Lucas in real life - he's been married multiple times and has adopted several children. For years, people assumed that George was sterile, but then last year he has a biological daughter... via artificial insemination into a surrogate.

His various characters: Anakin doesn't have a biological father and wasn't a product of sex. Jango Fett could probably get any woman in the galaxy that he wants, and yet he decides to clone himself. Not even Palpatine is ever seen with a woman at his side, despite the dark side being driven by passion and indulgence in pleasures and emotions of the flesh, and the Jedi Order is adamantly against lust and passion.

I mean, Palpatine himself is just depicted as being so SEDUCTIVE in comparison to any other character, to the point of him sounding like he's just trying to get into everyone's pants that he's talking to. While the light side of the force represents purity and sancity, a sort of innocence, you got the dark side of the force representing sex. Crossing over that threshold is wrong and should be avoided at all costs.

Even movies like THX1138 where the entire point is an absence of sexual desire in humans.

So seriously, what's up with George?

And yes, I just spent my Fourth of July thinking about George Lucas's sex life.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Star Wars doesn't need sexuality. To me nearly everything is OVER sexualised. It's nice that a well known scifi fantasy saga doesn't force the issue like so many other films and books. I'm not asexual, I don't condemn sex but the handling of it I find often lacking and I usually don't need it to find a tale interesting or to write one.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin and Padme had sex.

Lucas said that the Jedi were not celibate, they just were not allowed committed romantic relationships.

Anakin's "virgin birth" was dumb but it had more to do with Lucas trying to incorporate that element of mythology than with Lucas being opposed to Shmi having sex.

Palpatine probably did have women, but I didn't need to know about it. Ditto with Jango Fett. The point of his character was as a template for the clones.

I can't and don't want to speculate about Lucas' personal life but as far as the movies, I think there just wasn't room in them for a lot of sex.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "Even movies like THX1138 where the entire point is an absence of sexual desire in humans."

thx is about two people finding their sexuality despite being trained not to connect with each other. it depicts a dystopian future in which the populace is controlled through android police officers and mandatory use of drugs that suppress emotion including sexuality.

gl is sexual. ask his wives and carrie fisher.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Andy Wylde like this.
  5. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    is it any of our business?

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Perhaps it's not even a thing of sexuality of lack thereof so much as avoiding controversy. We don't want SW to turn into some crappy, shameless HBO series

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I can see the points that the OP is making regarding the themes of sex (or lack thereof) in GL's films - let's not let this thread degenerate into smut, parody or a bashers vs gushers war.

(Altering the thread title - the second part is a touch over the top)

My own two cents on the topic - although there is a running theme of 'asexuality' through some of GL's films (THX-1138, Anakin's virgin birth, cloning), American Graffiti is highly driven by sexuality, it seems to be the only thing half the characters are interested in.
    It's what you'd expect from a bunch of teenagers, but the film addressed it in a very frank and honest way, rather than euphemistically or in an exploitative fashion, and must have been quite confronting in 1973.

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

But its even completely avoiding the very basics of human sexuality by pretty much shoeing away the notion of two people getting together and having a baby, besides Anakin and Padme. These are all in the GL directed films. The romance subplot in ESB became what it was because of improv from Harrison Ford and the direction of Irvin Kerschner.

I feel like Rugrats had more innuendo and raunch themes than the prequel trilogy.

N0RTHL0RD likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Not everyone wants realistic love stories like that. Sexual themes in general can be controversial, and honestly, the almost childlike innocence in that regard with the saga is something I love. We're never told how Padme became pregnant. Sure, in the real world it would be a result of sex, but my SW headcanon is that sex simply does not exist in the GFFA. How doess conception happen? Pff, who knows, but I don't care. As long as it feels.... safe...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    There's plenty of sexuality in Star Wars, it's just that it's mostly subtextual. Lightsabers are obvious phallic symbols, and are constantly being lost, cut into pieces, fondled, traded, and swatted against each other in macho ****-waving contests. Both Anakin and Luke suffer from Oedipal complexes at some point or another. Anakin and Padme declare their love for each other then travel through a doorway shaped like a vagina and into an orgy of death; Padme's midriff is promptly exposed through an act of violence, for no other reason than as sexual titillation for the film audience, while the object of exploitation screams in agony.

I mean, yeah, there aren't any overt sex scenes. But why would there need to be? It would be pretty boring and pedestrian for a Star Wars movie.

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    don't Oedipal complexes require both a mother AND a father.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Anakin has two "fathers", Obi-Wan and Palpatine, both of whom he wishes dead at various points and both of whom he eventually succeeds in killing. His obsessive attachment to Padme is the result of his childlike longing for a new mother.

Luke, of course, comes within a hairsbreadth of murdering his father. He also lusts after his biological sister who's basically the reincarnation of his mother, and might very well have done something he'd regret had it not been for the fortuitous interference of a smuggler oozing sex appeal.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Man, Freudian "psychology" rises from the grave more often than the average vampire these days.

But that's not to say I disagree with the general point.

14. JediSully

JediSully Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2011
    really?
    Carrie Fisher in the slave outfit?
    Oola's pretty much exposed breasts?
    Natalie Portman nippin' out in EP III?

It's not overtly talked about in any of the movies but it's deffinately there

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Well yeah, of course it's B.S. But it shows up in fiction a lot.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    "Natalie Portman nippin' out in EP III?"

what? i must investigate this.

twowolves likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Mammary glands are not exactly a sexual thing

Andy Wylde and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Yeah, but to be fair, the Han/Leia subplot was still George's idea. Sooo….it would've been in there regardless.

But yikes, wow, imagine if he *had* directed it?

Leia: "Stop. My hands are dirty."
    Han: "I don't like dirt. It's coarse and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere…" *kiss*

Okay, okay, sorry…..but for what it's worth, there's little to no sex in Spielberg movies. Are we supposed to read into that, too?

Deltron3030, Thuro, Ewok Poet and 5 others like this.
  20. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Don't forget that it is obvious that Jabba is a pervert. I cringe during the scene where he basically attempts to lick Leia's face.

Yanksfan [face_laugh] I would love it if somebody took the Han and Leia romance and made an AOTC style parody out of it.

Han: Leia...just being around you is intoxicating.
    Leia: Han you're drunk.
    Han: And you're an angel.
    Leia: Ugh. :rolleyes:

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Sorry? What?

Um, I'm not sure that there was an explicit attempt to avoid the subject. It just seems as though there were other ideas and themes that GL was more interested in pursuing in the story and there wasn't a lot of time left for sexuality.

22. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Mammary glands, or the area of the chest referred to as breasts. They're not a sexual thing. You explicitly pointed out Oola's breasts and Natalie's nipples. I don't see how that's sexual at all

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I didn't actually point out anyone's breasts. I think you've confused me with someone else.

The sexual status of breasts generally? Not going to go there...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh sorry. Didn't read the username of how was responding to me lol. Well my point stands that they're not sexual anyway

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    No worries. I just didn't want to be thought of as the kind of person who points at people's breasts. :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber, twowolves and Thuro like this.