main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collector's TAP CAFE XV everyone is welcome here !!!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by CrazyMike, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    PadmeLeiaJaina Trip sounds awesome! Have fun :D. I'm heading to Mexico (Tulum) on my next vacation, but that's not until September. My friend that I'm going with (who has been there several times) says that you burn there within minutes, which for me would be seconds.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, that'd be the best time to come, actually! XD The tourist season kicks into high gear during June-July, as that's when the reenactments occur (and anniversary). Spring can be a bit busy at times, but not as bad as during the summer, and the ghost tours usually start up in the spring. Fall can get a bit busy around November, but for the most part, it's relatively quiet. Off-season is definitely the best time to come, and if it's cold enough, Ski Liberty might have the slopes open (usually November-December).

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    A friend of mine moved to Eastern Pennsylvania last year for his job and as a result he's hit the sights in the area, including going to the Gettysburg reenactment. He said it was amazing.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Our cruise this time is going to the Eastern Caribbean, we'll be going to Puerto Rico, St Maartan, St Thomas, and Carnival's private island. Last year we did 2 cruises that went to the West. We visited a lot of Mayan Ruins when we were there - no ruins on the Eastern side though. I went to Tulum on a cruise I did back in April last year. Here are tips for going there. Tulum itself is on the water, once you get to the ruins you are blessed w/ this wonderful sea breeze that helps to cool things down. You can also trek down to the water and take a dip to further cool down.

To get TO the ruins, you are dropped off in a shopping area and then are expected to walk 1/4 of a mile to the ruins entrance. You can pay $1-2 to hop on a tram that will go that distance for you. I'm disabled so of course I chose that option...it is WORTH the money, particularly if it's muggy. When you're dropped off you're in low land and there aren't any ocean breezes, so it's sticky and hot. When you get to the actual gate, you have about a 1/4 of a mile walk straight UP to get to the ruins. They have stairs and handicapped ramps (that are WAY steep,) the paths are nicely maintained, and they are filled w/ foliage and you can usually spot iguanas chilling and soaking up the sun. (They're everywhere inside the ruins also.) They have a few benches along the way for resting if need be (I needed to stop at each of them - the hike up was a bear for me.)

I be chillin'

[​IMG]

Once you get into the ruins, everything is bleached WHITE. The sandy paths are bright white. The ruins are bleached white from the sun. All of this white takes the sun from above and blasts heat right up to your face. So even though there are sea breezes, the blinding light sucks the energy right out of you. Bring a hat - and not just a baseball hat. Larger brimmed hats will give you more shade to hide under. Seriously, if need be, I might even suggest if you are really sensitive to the sun, bring an umbrella that can help give you more shade to hide under, the light up there is FIERCE. Wear lots of sunblock. Dark, dark sunglasses and bring water (remember never drink water in Mexico.)

Here's an example of how freaking bright it is - I took this before I readjusted my camera's light settings - I kid you not - it's that bright and obnoxious up there in person:

[​IMG]

As you can tell - the ruins are spectacular! Have fun!

[​IMG]

I do admit I'd probably want to check out ghost tours, but my sister is a big Civil War junkie so regular tours would work also. I've been all over to historical places on the East Coast - went on a lot of East Coast trips when I was in Jr High and High School - plus I lived back there. The tours never made it to any of the Civil War battle grounds though. I don't necessarily need to see re-enactments, I'm not a crowd lover so I like going off-peak times to visit places. Plus that means I get better photos w/o a lot of people to interfere and get in the way. Once upon a time I skied, sadly that's not an option now thanks to balance problems :(

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have bad knees and have only skied twice. It's too pricy for me to do often enough.

The tours tend to be seasonal, but during the off-season, the Battlefield is open from sunrise to sunset, and the Visitor's Center has options for casual walking tours. Some places, like Howard Avenue, are used by locals as shortcuts to grocery stores, so I'm sometimes cutting through while walking into town. There's the Old Alms House cemetery on that ridge just north of town, and you can get some nice views of the sunset.

What tends to trip tourists up, though, is the Square. If you're not used to a roundabout, it can be intimidating. There are ways to bypass it while driving, and the Square and downtown are best experienced on foot.

...And I just had to chase my cat off the kitchen table.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Haha - oh yes the horrors of round abouts ("Look! There's Big Ben! Look! There's Big Ben!") we actually have some here around Phoenix and they were all over in Mass so they're not a problem. Even further - we had bike circles all over my college campus that I had to navigate, that was always fun.

Late April or early May might be when I'd like to go. My Aunt and Uncle really want to go back east - we should still be able to see the the cherry blossoms in bloom in DC around then.

TrakNar likes this.
  7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Awesome pics! Love 'em :D. I'm going to look up that Iguana(?) when I get there :p.

8. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Hello everyone, remember me? Hope those who do are doing good! Au revoir!

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hey JED1 - glad to see you're still around! How's life?

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hope all our US friends have a good Fourth of July! And condolences to those on the east coast that might have Arthur at their door..

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Happy Fourth of July - East Coasters stay safe!

Here in AZ Monsoon/Dust Storm season has begun - this was our first big Haboob of the season that swept across the valley last night:

[​IMG]

This was the view from my back yard while it rolled over us (w/ the sunset coloring - it looked like what I always pictured a nuclear bomb blast would look like)

[​IMG]

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Wow! I think I'd rather have Arthur - easier to clean up after rain..

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Same sorts of storm damage - trees fell over across the valley - western part got some rain and flooding (not us.) It's just a bit of dust. I don't have a pool so it's not like I have that much to worry about.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I guess Arthur was more of a rain event for the east coast US. I have a friend in coastal CT and he said it was mostly rain rather than wind in his area.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well that's good to hear.

16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    So which version would you guys say is the definitive Bespin Luke 3.75"?

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Cleaned up your double post, Gamma626. If it happens again you can use the 'Report' feature to request a clean-up.

Gamma626 likes this.
  18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I'd say the 2010 "Vintage" style release. Great detailing on the fatigues.

Gamma626 likes this.
  19. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking! Ok, I'll have to order him. Thinking about making dioramas!

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Sweet! I had plans to do that once my self. Aborted when I realized I have no artistic talent.

21. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Hehe, that's the other problem I have. Good with words, bad with art. Maybe my fiancé can help!

Either way, Bespin Luke is best Luke!

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Happy Thanksgiving to our friends in and from the US! Hope you have a good turkey day and find plenty of Black Friday bargains!

23. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Hello Everyone. I see a few familiar faces. I'm hoping a few will remember me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hey DaDarth! How are you?

25. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi DaDarth :)