main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    From now on, I'm going to use SW as a verb as well.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Nah, me too! I really like it here so far! Everyone is pretty friendly :)

pronker likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, it looks like somewhere along the way Lucas changed his mind over whether stormtroopers were clones or not.

I can understand why this is surprising, since it's highly out-of-character and he never did it about anything else.

cough

5. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013

I'm laughing.

I love Lucas, but he never actually understood what was the MoJo of Star Wars. He knew it was lightning in a bottle, but he couldn't see what was cool about it from a fan standpoint.

Stormies are MoJo. Best movie costume ever and they were quite obviously individuals from the get go.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, this one is technically neither (a) OT-related, nor (b) one I had as a kid, since I was in my 20s, so I realize it might not be 100% spot on for the topic. But...

... when I first saw Episode 1, I was under the impression that the words being sung in "Duel of the Fates" were "Aaahh...! Darth Maul...!"

7. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That reminds me of my own little mondegreen. As a kid, I thought that the last line of Lapti Nek, just before Oola is fed to the Rancor, was in English: "what Jabba wants", implying that Oola was gonna get it for resisting Jabba's advances.

8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I pronounced Han Solo as Haun Solo.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but a weird general misconception in pop culture that sort of made it into my brain as a kid, even though I know it's not the case, is that Luke personally fought Vader in a lightsaber duel in ANH on the Death Star. I think this has everything to do with a certain Muppet Babies episode and other media. I guess it makes a weird sort of sense. They want to make reference to Star Wars, but the whole saga, so they use the most recognizable imagery, that of ANH, and blend it with things that happened later in the series to get to the essence. Either way, when I was a kid it made me constantly question if there was another version of ANH out there. Which would have destroyed my young mind.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    When Obi-Wan first appeared in Episode 4 (when he's waving his arms and making that weird noise to scare the sand people), I thought he was a giant Jawa.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    awesome. i had and still have this oversize comic of the first film.
    [​IMG]
    this is 1 of 3. huh i forgot that. this came out in 1977. i got this as a kid in the early 80's so my grandad probably got it for me at a garage sale. that's how i got most of my figures too. i really miss my grandaddy.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It may be that the comics are also the reason why the ESB line is commonly quoted as :

"No, Luke, I am your father."

(the way it is written in the ESB comic)

instead of.

"No. I am your father."

as the ESB movie depicts it.

14. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    Darth Mole instead of Darth Maul

Luke threw his lightsaber into the AT-AT

In ANH, when C-3PO says "the damage doesn't look as bad from out here" while in the escape pod, I thought the droids were still docked in the ship for some odd reason

15. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014

WHY did they put that on the cover?! I get that comic book covers often take poetic license, but geez. Thanks a lot Marvel!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 9, 2013
    I used to think that Leia said to Darth Vader and Tarkin on the deathstar, "Dat way, down dat way."

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Love SW mondegreens! More mondegreens, please! :D

That said, this one technically isn't a mondegreen, but... here are my childhood misconceptions of the scene where Artoo tries to replay the fuzzy, staticky hologram of Leia's message:
    (a) I didn't get that it was a hologram and though it really was a little tiny lady.
    (b) When the holo-Leia bends down, it's of course the same gesture Leia makes when she's inserting the little cartridge or datacard thinger into Artoo back on the Rebel blockade runner. But I didn't make that connection. I thought it was the little tiny lady making some sort of gesture to Artoo to get him to adjust the focus or some such so she wouldn't be so fuzzy.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  18. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    when i was very young there were some lines in the trilogy that i totally misheard. in jedi, i thought ben actually said "twisted and eaten" instead of "twisted and evil". i actually thought vader got attacked by some monster and thats kinda why he had to wear the suit.

also another is i always thought yoda said "always emotion is the future" instead of "always in motion is the future".

19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Mod action: Merging with the 'Star Wars Misconceptions' thread

thejeditraitor likes this.
  20. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I was also one of those kids who thought the Biggs Tattoine scene was in ANH itself in those early days, almost certainly due to the ANH picture storybook, trading cards, and Marvel comics adapation - all of which included this scene...

Not sure this is a misconeption, but I always thought one of the Jawas on Tattoine said "Houdini!" (the magician) in ANH - actually, it still sounds like he's saying that, though I think he's actually saying, "Udini!"....

21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

I think you'll still find certain fans who will swear until the day they die that they saw a cut in the 1970s or 1980s which included the Biggs scenes, for just that reason (and Jabba in Docking Bay 94, Jerjerrod agonising over whether or not to blow up Endor, etc). Now that they're available as deleted scenes on the Blu-Rays, it'll probably just cement their opinions.

FYI - no publicly available cuts ever included such deleted scenes until the 1997 Special Edition of SW/ANH, which included Jabba in Docking Bay 94 and Biggs meeting up with Luke at Yavin.

Novelisations, comics, trading cards and so on aside, actual footage of any deleted scenes was pretty sparse:
    - there was a little bit of behind the scenes footage of both the Anchorhead and Yavin Biggs scenes being shot in the 1977 TV doco The Making of Star Wars;
    - the Star Wars Holiday Special included some brief deleted footage of Mos Eisley, and a scene with Darth Vader and Chief Bast on the Death Star (re-dubbed);
    - one ESB trailer had some alternate takes and a shot of C-3PO ripping the warning sign off the cell holding the captured Wampas;
    - an early ROTJ trailer had about half a second of the sandstorm;
    - parts of the Jabba scene (with Declan Mulholland as Jabba) were included in the 1985 doco From Star Wars to Jedi;
    - the Biggs Anchorhead scenes were first made available on the 1998 Behind The Magic CD-ROM.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke hanging from the grating of the Rancor pit was shown in the Illustrated ROTJ Storybook - would that qualify as a deleted scene?

Binder-lover likes this.
  23. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I would have to say yes - this scene was either filmed and/or someone took a picture of this, since it's in the storybook - I remember this as well.

I remember seeing the ANH Special Edition in January 1997, and being very pleased to see the the Biggs Yavin scene & the Jabba Docking Bay 94 scene. IMHO the added Yavin scene makes Biggs' later passing all the more poignant, because in the original 1977 film you don't see any interaction between him & Luke (he's only mentioned by Luke on Tattoine). I'm still not sure why they cut this scene from the film back in '77, since it doesn't interfere with the pacing & IMHO is very important to the story. IIRC, when "Red Leader"?! interrupts their conversation to ask if Luke can pilot the X-wing, there was originally another statement he makes where he says that he met Luke's father when he was younger, etc; if this was indeed filmed, it was cut out of this SE scene...

The Jabba scene was cool to see, especially since this had been in the Marvel comics adaptation & the ANH novelization (Alan Dean Foster, 1976). That being said, I do think it works a lot better in the 2004 ANH DVD, since the effects on Jabba were greatly improved; I remember that the '97 SE Jabba was nick-named "Grimace" due to the CGI being somewhat shaky at the time...

IMHO it was a good idea that they cut the Biggs/Luke Anchorhead scene out of both the '77 film & also a good idea that they didn't include this back in the SE. If that had been edited back into the beginning of the film, IMHO it would have been somewhat confusing to the average viewer: .i.e., Luke sees Biggs at the beginning on Tattoine & Biggs is headed to the academy (though he mentions joining the Rebellion)...Then, at the end of the film (presumably taking place only a week or two after the beginning, depending of course on how you measure space/time in the SW universe) Biggs has already joined the Rebellion? Sure, I guess this is considered "canon" and that it did happen that way, but IMHO it still throws off the story. Plus, this scene definitely paints a less than flattering picture of Luke, which IMHO is not something we need to see, since he's the hero of the film. And, if this had been included in the final film it would have negatively affected the pacing, since I feel that the early Tattoine scenes are somewhat slow anyway...

Binder-lover and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I thought it was Jabathehut. One word. I didn't realize he was a "Hutt" named Jabba. I simply thought his name was Jabathehut.

Also, I thought that the Jedi were an actual species of supreme humans and that Yoda just looked that way because he was 900 years old.

Binder-lover likes this.
  25. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Darth Plagius was ONE OF THE SITH VILLIANS FROM KOTOR 1 or 2. Making Sideous thousands of years old.

Jan Dodonna was an old man Bail Organa.

"Tat-tuney" (Tatooine)

"Bobah Feet" (Boba Fett)