main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Beam me up, Scotty! Star Trek: The Original Series.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Yep. Uhura is too.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    When and how? I knew about Scotty, Bones, Spock & Kirk and the crossover/timeflash with Sulu and Voyager. I always wondered how they felt about being the only cast members not to survive into the TNG-era.

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, to have survived into the TNG era I guess they just kept on living :p

As far as I know nothing special happened to either Chekov or Uhura. They were just living out the normal lifespan of a human's 100+ years the Star Trek universe. Although, in the last Vulcan's Soul book, Chekov does end up retiring.

4. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Star Trek canon policy unfortunately doesn't include novels, comics, or anything else other than the live-action tv shows, the films, and the animated show...and until only a few years ago, it didn't include the animated show either (due to Gene Rodenberry declaring it non-canon way back down the line, a decision not reversed until very recently).

Going just by what is officially canon, we have no idea what happens to Chekhov or Uhura at any point after the prologue of Generations for Chekhov or Trek VI for Uhura. The only TOS crewmembers we've seen in the TNG era in canonical productions are Bones (in TNG 'Encounter at Farpoint'), Spock (in TNG 'Unification' and the new Trek film), Scotty (in TNG 'Relics'), and Kirk (in 'Generations'). And even there, we don't know the ultimate fates of anyone of those people besides Kirk (we of course know that Spock ends up travelling to an alternate timeline where he presumably dies, but we don't see his death on-screen). Bones could have keeled over the day after Encounter at Farpoint, or he could be alive at the end of DS9; Scotty could have run into a star with his shuttle an hour after he left the Enterprise, or he could still be joyriding out in the cosmos. Canonically, there's no way to say.

Indeed, for all we know Chekhov or Uhura could be alive; there's nothing necessarily against it, though Chekhov (incidentally the youngest member of the TOS crew) would be 128 at the outbreak of the Dominion war (but given we haven't really gotten much idea of how long humans live in the Star Trek universe, it's hard to say for sure; Kirk in TWOK becomes incredibly depressed by his 52nd birthday, but McCoy seems to be fairly healthy at a ripe old age indeed--though even in the novels he's something of an exception); however, there's simply no canon evidence one way or the other.

But as for not getting their day in the sun, Walter Koenig (Chekhov) did reportedly visit the set during the filming of the DS9 tribute episode "Trials and Tribble-ations," and showed the actors how to work the props. So that's something. :)

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Since I apparently skipped reposting this back when I hit that part of the timeline, and it came up in the DS9 thread, here were my brief comments touching on TAS (though some image links have since been broken):

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Supposedly, Roddenbury did not think the cartoon should be cannon. On the other hand, many of the writers, once he died, started using the cartoon as canon, including the name of the Klingon ship, references to the 3-armed navigator, and more.
    Netflix has also made it quasi-cannon by including it in the Trek that would be available on instant streaming by the end of the year.

There is some question over whether the TAS should represent years 4 and 5, or the second 5-year mission.

There were also comics, novels, LPs with audio adventures, and more, which bounce in and out of being "canon".

Decide for yourself.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not surprising, considering TAS got a similar DVD treatment to the rest of the shows.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I just started re-watching TOS on Netflix. There are some episodes I've never seen, others I've seen dozens of times, but I don't think I've ever seen them in order. It'll be interesting to see which ideas, characters, themes, JJ Abrams mines from for Into Darkness.

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The TAS episode "Yesteryear" has been pretty much mined for stuff by writers of the novels and comics, and by the writers of Enterprise, because of the Kas-Wan ritual Vulcan youths are sent on when they reach seven years of age. A couple scenes from ST09 have similar early counterparts here, with young Spock being tormented by other Vulcan kids and being reminded that Vulcans aren't entirely without emotions, they just are better at suppressing them than other Federation species.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    IIRC, "Yesteryear," is the only TAS episode that was been deemed canon by Roddenberry and other TOS producers.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Obviously the ship seen emerging from beneath the ocean in the trailer is the full-scale inflatable decoy from TAS.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    *cough* *cough*

Sorry to dig out this dusty old thread, but I've been chipping my way through the first season of TOS the last few weeks; skipping around and just watching what sounds interesting at the moment vs. watching them in order. Yesterday I watched "Balance of Terror", the episode that introduces the Romulans for the first time. Season 1 has several good episodes--"The City on the Edge of Forever", "Space Seed"--but in my opinion "Balance of Terror" is the best one thus far. I love the way it cuts back and forth between the Enterprise and the Romulan ship as the cat and mouse game plays out, and it features a really terrific performance from Shatner.

The most interesting aspect of digging through season 1 thus far has been watching Nimoy get a handle on Spock. The first half of the season or so he plays him very differently from the iconic portrayal we've come to associate with the character. The voice, the mannerisms, the demeanor; all different.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BOT is pretty solid, especially for an early episode where they're still figuring out the details of the show on the fly (mixing up torpedoes and phasers- though I think the Remastered version fixed that) and managing to inadvertently setup major swaths of the franchises future (influencing stuff as far down the road as Nemesis and ENT, as well as the general sub battle feel of the TOS movies and beyond) despite it's placement within the franchise ending up being very strange because of the casting (the big reveal of the Romulans looking like Vulcans like Spock now becomes a misleading "Spock's father is a Romulan?" suggestion).

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Very good points. There are always these types of episodes early on in a show's run where they're still laying track just ahead of the train.

I mentioned "The City On The Edge Of Forever" earlier, but I hadn't actually watched it yet (I'd seen it before, but not recently). Prior to now, I'd always thought of it as good, but a bit overrated. I was wrong. Not sure if it was seeing it through adult eyes, where love, loss and sacrifice aren't just story tropes, but life experiences, or what, but it's a fantastic episode. And Joan Collins. Wow.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    BOT reminds me of something that I wanna see in the next movie. We've seen Fisticuffs Kirk, we've seen Rulebreaker Mav'rick Kirk, we've seen Womanizer Kirk, but you know who we haven't seen?

Mad Genius Kirk.

I wanna see the Kirk that got dropped off on a Stone Age planet and rigged up a friggin' shotgun. I wanna see the Captain Kirk who makes Klingons and Romulans wet their pants a little bit when they find out he's the enemy commander.

And I wanna see the Enterprise in an honest to goodness bbrawl, not the kerb stomps she's been subjected to so fsr.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Though that was also covered in the TOS episode "Journey to Babel".

Sarge likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Absolutely. Hopefully that's what they're building toward. I think we probably needed a couple of films for this version of Kirk to build himself to that point. He has a great line in Into Darkness - "I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do." that still speaks to his relative inexperience backed up by his innate Kirkian need to act. But by now the timeline of the reboot should have caught up with TOS, or close enough to it that we can see Kirk sitting confidently in the Captain's chair making brilliant tactical decisions, or doing the same thing in a tight jam somewhere. Pine's Kirk has thus far gotten out of most jams with a "Let's try... THIS!" approach, which is fine. But I think the Kirk we see in "Balance of Terror" is where the character should be heading.

And speaking of Klingons and Romulans, it's probably time to let them out of the shadows.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Anybody ever watch The Enemy Below? It's a classic WW2 destroyer vs U-boat movie and was clearly a huge influence on BoT. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember the U-boat kept going back to the same course, just as the Romulans did, and the two captains came to respect and admire their adversary's abilities just by watching the way they fought their ships, and the movie ended with the two finally seeing each other face-to-face and exchanging salutes.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Yes, "The Enemy Below" is a really good movie. As far as the movie's end, it goes a bit further than you mention, but I won't spoil it for you.

One other thing about the movie is that it avoids one of the more prevalent movie cliches. The American captain tells his ship's doctor that his (the captain's) wife had been killed when the ship they were on was torpedoed by a U-Boat. However, the captain doesn't hold a massive grudge against the Germans in general or his current quarry in particular. He recognizes that this U-Boat commander is just doing his job, even if it's for the enemy.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I haven't seen The Enemy Below, but I did see it referenced on the Wiki for "Balance Of Terror", and reading the plot summary for it, the similarities were certainly strong enough to see the former's influence on the latter.

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    David W. Collin's "The Soundtrack Show" podcast released "Star Trek the Original Series - the Music (Part 1)" about a week ago now. It's a very interesting listen that gives a lot of history of the show and the main theme before he breaks it down. I definitely recommend a listen for fans and non fans like myself.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-soundtrack-show/id1351960656

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Indeed! Some neat history in there too.

TiniTinyTony and Juliet316 like this.