main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How have people who troll the prequels affected your love of the movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Mod Edit: Read my post on the first page. Deleted. Entire post baiting and attacks "trolls"

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't know. I don't really listen to people who try to tell me what I should and shouldn't enjoy. I personally think the prequels are decent. Could've been better, but they're decent enough.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Indeed. Each of us is an individual, not a clone -- oh, snap! LOL, but seriously, fringe opinions are often far more interesting to me than mainstream views, so do what you feel you must. Your presence here, for me, has always been a welcome counter-balance -- given the qualities I enumerated: your wit, your concision, the strongly-held uniqueness of your views -- to a more argumentative pro-con tide/tsunami that many others (including me, alas) often get caught up in.

I know, right? ;)

While I do get the discontent, I can't fully understand it.

For me, the prequel trilogy is a set of films telling a pertinent story executed with a great deal of sophistication and nuance. And, of course, I love the classical, sweeping, operatic quality of it.

Put those two aspects together -- the (for me) brilliance of the story and the timeless, lustruous style of its telling -- and you have an incredible work of cinema, IMO.

It's a very big piece. Like an epic work of poetry. Although I can't be enjoying it in quite the same way forever, I doubt I'll stop admiring it.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe this is what you meant by "getting" but not "understanding": you described precisely what I don't like about some of it. Too much sophistication, poetry, opera, and not enough fun.

It's cool that people prefer different things in film, which is why, getting back to the thread topic, someone else having different taste (and broadcasting their different taste) should not ruin a movie that you (g-you obviously) like. An opinion does not become more valid when more people share it, unless we're talking about an opinion on who should hold public office.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Sure. I personally think that the prequels offer tons of "fun" -- but "fun" is a very subjective term.

That's true. On the other hand, people = human beings. And human beings are very sensitive to the the opinions of others; and to wider attitudes that blow around and prevail like perpetual storm clouds or bad smells. In that regard, while opinions on art do not become more valid when more people share them, they can take on a slightly ugly or stifling quality that can wear down those with different tastes or beliefs. I agree that a negative opinion should certainly not "ruin" a film that a particular individual likes, but that's a different matter from something affecting you. You can still like a thing, but be affected, pro and con, when there's a tide of antipathy of out there. Ultimately, though, yeah ... like what you like; and damn everything else.

6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Mod Edit: Comment deleted. Bashing of the prequels of of those accused of "trolling" is not allowed.

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Have the negative attitude toward the prequels affected my love of them? No.

8. TheSequelTrilogy

TheSequelTrilogy Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2014
    Guys, The Sequel Trilogy is being made, why do people still care what others think of the Prequels? I have never understood why people cared if someone (especially if you don't know them on the internet) cares about a movie that you like or love? If you like the Prequels, thats cool. If you like the Originals, thats cool. If you like the Special Editions, thats cool. If you like the OOT, that's cool. Since the Sequel Trilogy is being made, and there is SO much to look forward to, I am suprised that people are still worried about what other think of the Prequels???

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    It hasn't changed the way i look at the movies. i still love them. I'm bewildered as ever by the reaction to them . Like the other day i was watching AMC's movie talk and they're talking about a Darth Maul spin-off movie and the guy says that Maul was the only character he liked in TPM. I'm thinking....you didn't like Liam Neeson as Qui-Gonn Jinn? Just baffle's me.

10. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    No one has sullied the PT for me - I roll my eyes when the haters surface because it is always the unspecific rubbish

I'm also feed up of the "recapturing the spirit" blah about the ST, no one has ever actually stated what the "spirit" is and where it is lacking in the PT

I was very worried when word spread that Kasdan was a PT hater- then I read the article and he never actually said anything derogatory about it, it was the article writer desperately trying to make it seem that way - quite pathetic

11. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    The Prequel bashing is complete rubbish. People need to get over it and look at the many positives about them. There are WAY more positives than negatives.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm somewhat bemused that people still go out of their way to direct hatred towards the prequels. I'm even more bemused that people still care about people who go out of their way to direct hatred towards the prequels.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Maybe the people who "still care" are compelled to out of compassion - wanting the lost souls of the fandom to find happiness, as opposed to living with hate.

The fact that the moaning and wailing still persists is down solely to the internet

- people can say what they like and disappear from a converstion without having to back it up with evidence
    - people opinion is very influenced by others the read in the net like film critics (in the history of the world has there ever been a more unnecessary "career" than that) who themselves can't seem to form valid arguments for or against any movie
    - and a host of other in regards to human behaviour on the internet

People seem to forget that TESB was generally well received on it's release and if the internet had been in use as it was for TPM it would have been shredded for sure as wold the Ewoks.

There is nothing "wrong" with the PT that isn't "wrong" with the OT no matter how people delude themselves.

14. Sariel2005

Sariel2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2014

Agreed, that said, the hatred some have shown does mean its difficult for more moderate critics to affectionately roast the PT. In some ways this seems to be a shame. I am a great fan of Star Trek for examle but still love the SFDebris opinionated reviews ( and going further back, the Nitpickers guides - they poke fun at mistakes and silliness but are not meant as hatred).

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I never seen the point of a "review" of any thing - be it books, movies, TV, food, etc.

Critics are just people who don't want a real job.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Sariel2005

Jun 10, 2014

Reviews can be entertaining in themselves, for example humorously as the case with the SFdebris reviews ( which is why I can get some enjoyment out of the Mr Plinkett reviews as opposed to the pure vitriol of Confusedmatthew for instance, even though I do not agree with a lot of what is said). It can be fun to poke fun at the tropes and cliches in a work, or the silliness of some of the characters. Likewise it can be a great springboard for future viewing or discussion with others and can give a deeper appreciation of the material in question.
    from this thread it appears I am not the only one who has actually come to enjoy and appreciate the PT MORE due to reviews and criticism. The point I am trying to make is that reviews can be a source of entertainment in themselves. The trolls make this more difficult unfortunately.

Hypothetically I could imagine that given all the unfair bashing the PT has had that a fan who saw the HISHE Episode one short and were unaware the site does these films for all manner of films might, rather than be amused as intended, be annoyed at another PT bashing.

( Have to say, If I could watch stuff I love all day and then comment on it for a living instead of the drudgery of a real job, I would do it in a heartbeat though. Quite jealous of that ! lol)

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only time I ever care about someone else's opinion on a movie enough to let it influence me is when I have asked the person directly. I'll do that if I value the person's opinion and/or that person knows my taste or has similar taste, and therefore I can gauge whether I might like something based on what that person says.

Neither a newspaper movie critic nor someone on the Internet with whom I have never interacted, knows my taste, nor do I value their opinions. So...who the hell cares what they think?

I've seen several posters throw out that people are "easily influenced," with Cryo being the only one attempting to explain why. I will say that one of the best parts about getting older has been that I stopped giving a **** about anything so petty as what strangers might think, and I'm already working on that with my own kids so they won't have to be older to reach that state of bliss. I have told them multiple times and will continue to do so: "You have the right to whatever opinion you have, and even if you are the only one who shares it, it's valuable."

As far as the "happiness" of people on the Internet, for me that lies in freedom of expression, not being shoved into some sunshine and fluffy ponies farting rainbows mode all the time. Basic civility is important for a polite society of course. But basic civility does not include censoring a negative opinion of a movie.

Now I may have to watch AOTC today. Thanks thread.

Andy Wylde and Yanksfan like this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I've never seen any of those funny reviews you mention but I would imagine it would require a degree of nitpickery as well as opinion - movies, TV, painting, etc. is intended for enjoyment and not to be pulled apart for every little thing or some hack telling us what is and isn't good.

I've a few of the HISHE videos and they are funny - but they are parodies and very creative not some guy sitting around all day blah blahing.

If you sat down all day reviewing movies for money it would dilute your enjoyment.

19. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    This is actually a really good question. Because it's one I can relate to. When I originally saw the PT (along with the OT, I saw all 6 of them at around the same time) I loved them, and when I first saw some of the bashing, I was like, "what the heck are they talking about?"

But, the more I read the comments, and the more I saw the movies, I began to see some of the things that they were talking about... Jar Jar in TPM started to wear on me a bit, and Anakin's whining started to wear on me, etc.

I'm not sure if I would have noticed those things as quickly had I not read the bashing. But recently, it's been a while since I've seen the movies, and I watched a clip of ROTS not to long ago for the first time in a while, and I thought to myself... I really should watch the movies for myself, and not think about what others think of it. And it was a very refreshing feeling, and I began to really enjoy the movie (never really stopped enjoying them, but it feels almost like the first time again).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Sariel2005

Jun 10, 2014

Nitpicking? very much but also jokes, often very meta type jokes, praise for good bits, asides into other things such as the show in general, writers, tropes and all sorts of things. So overall quite fun ( SFdebris anyway) . personally ( and I assume others feel the same) I feel that an informed critique may give me new insight into a work ( and I am interested in everyones opinions, even if I disagree completely).

Don't get me wrong not saying that its something everyone should do, I just enjoy them ( hence me seeing them as similar to the HISHE) if its not your bag, fair play. Like I said nitpicking is fine to me ( hence my mention of the Star Trek Nitpickers guides)

( and if watching and reviewing things I love would ruin that, well thats my dream job ruined :( That said its got to be better than some of the misery I have had to do in my life)

Happy Trails...

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Nitpickery is a desperate waste of time

A discussion beats a criticism any day of the week and twice on Sundays ;)

I meant that "dream job" bit in general - perhaps you could and not become like the others :)

If the daily grind is getting you down then follow Luke Skywalker's lead and go have an adventure for yourself

My parents did it when we were kids and I do it regularly too

Sariel2005 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A discussion includes criticism.

If it doesn't, it's not a discussion, it's a pep rally.

Andy Wylde, Yanksfan, TX-20 and 5 others like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. If everyone liked all of the same things then it would be a lesser world.

Yanksfan, TX-20, MOC Yak Face and 2 others like this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes, a discussion includes criticism.

But some of the "slamming" is totally one sided and adds nothing - nada- zero to "discussion" but attempts to shut down discussion.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sometimes.

But sometimes people are just trying to have a little fun, such as with all the mockery of the bad dialogue. I like AOTC but I'll make fun of Anakin's horrible lines like nobody's business.

And people get bent out of shape. Not you specifically but I have seen "Why the bashing? :_|" responses to someone joking around about not liking sand. Not everything has to be srs bsns all the time. In fact it shouldn't be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.