main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Performance in Jabba's Palace: Was it needed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you think that the performance in Jabba's Palace was necessary, or unecessary?

1. Necessary

38.9%
  2. Unecessary

61.1%
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe in Special Edition v2.0, they'll get rid of Jedi Rocks and put in Statler and Woldorf laughing at people instead.

Force Smuggler and jaqen like this.
  3. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Worst scene in the ENTIRE saga for me. I hate it. They should've kept the OG song.

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    They should've gotten rid of the whole thing. One of the reasons why ROTJ is my least favorite SW film.

mcgo and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    The dance number works well in Jedi because from the start of the film you're waiting for Luke to appear and save the day....having the tension built up only to have it broken by the singing only makes the following action more exciting.

When Oola fell through the trap door I remember thinking that Luke would never fall for that so imagine how shocked I was when he did haha.

Not the greatest scene of the 6 movies by any means but in saying that not the worst either.

6. Darth Maul is awesome

Darth Maul is awesome Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2014
    No it was not needed

7. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    The special edition version - especially the way the digital characters break the fourth wall -- makes me want to throw things at my TV screen. The original version is better, but to me they're both a little bit a a shark-jump moment for the OT.

kubricklynch and lovelikewinter like this.
  8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I like the way the cantina band in ANH is done. In the background but obvious enough to add to the feel of the scene.

mcgo likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like both songs. The aliens are better in Jedi Rocks but do overtake the scene. Lapti Nek fits the mood better.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread never ever dies.

11. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Unnecessary, but breathes life. Shows that there's more than just our characters in the universe. That said, should've been more like the Cantina Band in ANH

MOC Yak Face and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I would be much more apt to tolerate the new scene if they went back over it and replaced the 1996 CGI with today's CGI. This was a fairly early attempt at fully CG characters, and it shows. Oh, how it shows.

The old Sy Snootles was really bad, but so is the new one. The texture/rendering on the characters is awful by today's standards, and their movement is little/no more realistic than the admittedly bad puppets from the original.

That being said, I don't really get people saying they hated the old version as well, for reasons beyond the bad puppetry work. The original scene was just quietly tucked into the film, a very brief look at Jabba's court. A little music and a little dancing. Hardly a "jump the shark" moment as some previous poster described. The new scene is, however, very much in your face.

If that's how he/they wants it, fine. But dammit, of all the CG work done for the Special Editions, this was among the worst.

ScutFarkus likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Joh Yowza is cool. There, I said it.

14. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Lapti Nek was a cool song, especially the movie version. Jedi Rocks is a horrid composition, like if Justin Bieber was in the GFFA. THe CGI Aliens were obnoxious, they acted like little kids trying to get your attention. The worst part was it was not the product of 1980's filmmaking and stuck out like a sore thumb.

15. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    GL blew it by not adding some Gungans.

16. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    They should have kept it as is. I liked the original song. And it was a way to introduce (or foreshadow) the Rancor and the danger he represents.

IF Lucas HAD to update the CGI, he should have kept the original song. The Jedi Rocks tune is awful. And that annoying little guy is even worse. Cringe worthy.

ScutFarkus likes this.
  17. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    The new performance is second worst change to the saga. (The Jabba Scene in ANH being the worst).

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    o_O

It's kind of redundant, sure. And the original SE CGI Jabba was so terrible that it looked like he was in physical pain just existing. But calling it the "worst" change seems like a real exaggeration.

19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I kinda wanna meet the 10 people who voted yes, it was "necessary" and….oh, I dunno (Edit) buy them ice cream or something and ask them "Why??". ;)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  20. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  21. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The new scene didn't blend Ok because it looks as it doesn't belong to Jabba's courtroom. The music doesn't sound as it's coming from the band but from a tape, it's overproduced and sounds terribly terrestrial (trumpets, really?). Lapti Nek mixed itself with the ambient sounds and contributes to the chaos. That scene was about Oola's dance and her ultimate fate. Jedi Rocks stops the show but in a senseless way.

Plus, "Jedi Rocks"? what kind of a name is it?

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Because I find it an interesting way to see what casual life in the GFFA is like for such a crowd as Jabba and his gang

Now my favorite flavor is vanilla :3

Yanksfan likes this.
  23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I think its important to give us a reason to hate jabba and foreshadow the danger leia faces if lukes plan somehow fails. What jabba plans on doing/has done to oola is just plain horrible and murdering her with a giant monster. (Which accourding to the EU the rancor was also abused by Jabba. Underfed, pitted against other monsters, cramed in a little space.) Murdering an inoccent young woman because.. well... *shudders* really made us hate jabba for more than just being gangster/Hans debt. Also it foreshadows lukes battle with the rancor. As for the song... the lapi Nek club mix trumps both versions, and I'm not a fan of Zowza breaking the fourth wall.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

But to be fair, wasn't that already kinda established in the ANH cantina scene? Sure, it wasn't Jabba's gang, but it *was* a "wretched hive of scum and villainy." If anything, "Jedi Rocks" kinda seems silly and makes them less threatening. I mean if this well-rehearsed cheesy wedding band will take gigs there, how bad could they be?

ScutFarkus and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    No exaggeration. It's off topic, but I stand by that Jabba scene being the worst addition. 1) The way Jabba talks is out of character. Too different than in ROTJ. 2) He looks too small and even though he looks better than in the original Special Edition, he still doesn't look like the ROTJ Jabba. 3) Han steps on him and it just doesn't fit. 4) Han can understand him without a translator, but he needs one in ROTJ. 5) The scene was not needed anyway.