main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dyous87

dyous87 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2006
    Are we referring to Son of Dathomir as EU? I thought EU was for all intents and purposes dead being re-branded as legends. As far as I know Son of Dathomir is pure canon as will all future officially licensed publications be.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    True, but the question is will its status hold up... Itd be really easy to retcon the sole 'canon' darkhorse comic later, especially if they kill him or Talzin but Disney, Marvel, or the books wants to do something else with them. The Force Unleashed and Shadows of the Empire where put seemingly on this level of canon status too after all...

dyous87 likes this.
  3. dyous87

Oct 5, 2006
    I really hope this will not be the case. If the decide to simply reboot the "EU" or cut things out of canon every 10-20 years I will be very disappointed. I want to know that what I am reading and enjoying now is official, is canon, and will not be disregarded and rebooted at some point in the future.

I get why they had to do it with the original EU. I get that GL never really adhered to it and never considered it part of his universe. I get that there was a consistency mess with the EU as it was and that there was no space to tell an original story for the ST if the EU remained. I just hope that now with the story group and the push the have one consistent canon this does not happen again.

Ryus, Dra--- and Krueger like this.
  4. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    What I really like to know is whether there'll be novels set within the new canon that ties in with Episode VII before it's released... I wonder how long it might take before we'll learn anything about that...

dyous87 likes this.
  5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    At least a year for preVII books as the script was only finalized a few months ago. More likely we'll be getting announcements in a year for books coming out a few weeks after the movie. 3ish+ years for between VII and VIII at the very earliest as that script is just now being drafted. Plus they won't want to spoiled the movies...

Comics may come out sooner though as they can come out incrementally. Again though odds are not until a few months before VII at the very earliest.

This is JJ we're taking about, so the VII novelization won't be coming out until after the movie unlike the previous six. Mystery will still be key, even if he does release more spoilers than usual...

For the time being though it will be the age of the rebellion and dark times... And I'm fine with that.

dyous87 likes this.
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't think being named canon by the Story Group is anywhere near the same as being named canon when Lucas was in charge. Let's face it, Lucas didn't really take the EU seriously, and when he did occasionally call something canon, it was mainly for marketing a specific pet project here and there.

The SG, however, takes the EU seriously, knows it intimately, and makes canon decisions not purely based on marketing pet projects, but out of a devotion to a consistent SW story and universe. Also, let's recall that the SG was created by KK, who understands that a messy or shifting continuity is bad longterm business.

So with things being planned out more like a TV series now, with a group of creators meeting regularly and on the same canon page, decisions aren't being made in a vacuum by one person, which can easily lead to poor judgements and mistakes. That means if they decide to kill someone like Maul in a comic, there will have been serious discussion about its effect on future plots, and if this is the best time and place to kill Maul, rather than in a different format. In a word, the Story Group is bringing a foresight we never had in the Lucas years, so I find it less likely that controversial retcons will be regular or even necessary.

Having said that, since we have just wiped the old continuity clean, I think it's important to recognize that Rebels and the ST will be playing an important revision role with OT events. But this is more about growing the world logically so it can continue instead of just ramming new stuff in without sufficient thought.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well said, Dra--- .

Also, it's been a while since we linked this here, so just in case anyone hasn't seen it: forum canon policy.

Jedi Merkurian , dyous87 and Dra--- like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Remember it was actually based on a script for an arc of TCW episodes, though. It's just as canon as the show.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Oh I didn't forget, just saying that was the last of Lucas's tenure. Sometimes new management, even if they liked most of the old stuff, backpeddle on old descisions and a lone book not done by their new partner Marvel is an easy target. This is just me posing a hypotitical, nothing more. ;)

Revanfan1 and dyous87 like this.
  10. dyous87

Oct 5, 2006
    I get what you're saying but that could also be likened to Disney wanting to ditch the OT because it was distributed (and will still continue on being distributed) by 20th Century Fox.

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I see your point and concede it... but its pushing a fallacy, after all they bought it due to the OT (mostly) however they didnt buy it even a little bit due to dark horse star wars comics. Just saying ;)

dyous87 likes this.
  12. dyous87

Oct 5, 2006
    You are correct and that is a good point. The only thing I would add is this. Disney cancelled TCW and they decided to hand over the unmade portions to Dark Horse after they came out with the new canon policy. If they had no intention of keeping it intact they could have either waited for Marvel to take over before releasing Son of Dathomir or have Del Rey publish it as a graphic novel or something.

Pro Scoundrel , Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Stygeon, huh? Interesting... It appears that they may choose to revisit a number of worlds introduced to us by TCW, which makes sense, since both shows are canon. I'm betting we'll see Mandalore at some point when they begin to focus on a more Satine-centric story, for example. And perhaps Ryloth for Hera.

Perchance, are the names of the two Wookiees Wulffwarro and Kitwarr, and the crimelord Chatro Vizago?

From the makingstarwars report with spoilers on the first two episodes of Rebels:
    The report mentions that the Devaronian Vizago is a crimelord on Lothal. The Hasbro poster contains an image of one Chatro Vizago, as well as assassin droid IG-RM:
    [​IMG]

Furthermore, there are "lots of Wookiees" in the Rebels pilot episodes. Most likely we'll see Wulffwarro and Kitwarr as two of these Wookiees:
    [​IMG]

I wonder if these Wookiees are being enslaved by the Empire to work in the Kessel spice mines, which are referenced in these episodes, according to the source.

Ryus likes this.
  14. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    =D= If I could like this post 1000 times, I would. And then one more time after that. Arrrrgh! :mad:

Honestly, I am not going to be surprised if one day these kind of changes result in a serious schism between Star Wars fans. I'm sure there would be variations, but it seems for the most part fans seem to be divided into two camps: Old School (unaltered OT, EU) and New School (SE, PT, TCW, Rebels). It remains to be seen where the ST will fall.

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Revanfan1 and Circular Logic like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This may have been discussed, but I've been wondering if they'll replace the PT era EU with new books and comics since the old stuff has been decanonized. Every era is now a mostly blank canvas, so I wonder if they'll bother with new EU to flesh it out or just stick to EU releases that are companion pieces to whatever is in theaters.

dyous87 likes this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ I think it will be a very long time before we see any new EU material taking place in the PT era. I still like that era, so I hope we do get things one day. I suppose the upcoming novel, Lords of the Sith, can be seen as taking place just after the PT era.

Artoo-Dion and dyous87 like this.
  18. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Am I the only one that understood the new cohesive canon to mean the term New EU isn't a thing? Because its all canon now there are no more extensions. Its all The Star Wars universe. Therefore new books are not called New EU. Calling new books The New U makes more sense to me.

19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Thank you!

That schism (and many others) has been happening for a long time, but the possibility now exists for it to be more drastic and irreversible than ever before.
    My hope has always been that the ST would serve to mend these rifts. That it could polish and edit the EU settings and characters to introduce them to "New School" fans; and at the same time flesh out and mature the "New School" stuff so we "Old Schoolers" could feel more on board with it. I may never have been a huge fan of TCW, but it did win over a lot of my fellow EU fans and made me feel marginally better about the PT era, for all its faults. I'm increasingly doubtful that it's going to play out that way.
    Marvel (and LotR before it, and Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones) have shown that a universe beloved by "niche" fans can still have immense mainstream appeal when done faithfully, enthusiastically, and with quality (no matter what changes are necessary for it to be done well onscreen). The time was ripe for a "soft reboot" since even the most die-hard fans weren't very enthusiastic about much that came after ~25ABY anyways. There wouldn't be too much complaint if the canons diverged with the Yuuzhan Vong war never starting in the NU.
    Old EU paperbacks at used bookstores may no longer be generating much revenue for Disney, but I hope they know better than to ignore the fanbase that has pushed dozens of books onto bestseller lists in the past. We're waiting to start shoveling money into the Lucas pit again, just give us another chance to play in our favorite sandbox!

Dak Oolron and dyous87 like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The term EU probably isn't going away. It's been used for over 20 years. Lucasfilm still uses it. Expanded universe doesn't mean different universe, it means everything that's not a film. But, feel free to use the term NU if you like.

Revanfan1, Satipo, Krueger and 2 others like this.
  21. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014

You are mistaken about a great many things.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Have it your way, man.

Satipo likes this.
  23. Jedi Older Code

Jun 17, 2014

Nah its LFLs way. http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

Where in this official statement do you see New EU? EU is Legends and new books aren't New EU. They never state that. That's all I'm saying.

Also this:

In July 2001, Lucas gave his opinion on the matter of what is canon in Star Wars during an interview with Cinescape magazine:

“ There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe. ”

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm glad you care this much about this.

Dak Oolron, TKT, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  25. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
    I would just like all that money fanboys spent on books that aren't canon. Send me your money and I will write you a much better EU than what you got! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.