main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The *Official* 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Omega, Jun 7, 2014.

?

Who will win the tournament?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2014.
  1. Brazil

25.0%
  2. Spain

4.5%
  3. Germany

15.9%
  4. Argentina

11.4%
  5. Other

43.2%
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    For the player's own safety, if it so much as looks like there might be a concussion, I'd pull them completely and sub. Sometimes concussion symptoms are noticeable right away or indeed can take several hours to develop. There's too much risk to a player of a second concussion if a player is put back on the field of play with a suspected concussion, even if they are cleared during the game.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So does this enforced medical substitution count towards the totals expanded in Law 3 of the FIFA Laws of the Game?

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean in the Chiefs playoff game Jamaal Charles didn't look to have been hit that hard, yet they immediately took him off and there was no question of him going back in. Now he scored like 40% of our points last season but I still was ok with him going off. Second impact syndrome with concussions can be fatal.

Edit: Ender as I said no one addressed that but I would think if the sub stays on the pitch they count. If all subs are used already I don't know.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe an emergency exemption due to the concussion (suspected or otherwise) or something?

Edit: Good point about Jamaal Charles (Wes Welker was taken out of the game in similar last year). I seriously side - eyed the Eagles last season for letting a few of their players come back in the game after being taken out for concussion testing.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's tempting but a horrible idea. And the players of course will never voluntarily come off, even if they could think clearly, which many of them physically can't in that scenario.

Rogue_Ten, here's one of the many articles from 2006 examining how the World Cup in Germany rapidly altered German attitudes towards the flag and shows of patriotism:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/world/europe/18germany.html?_r=1&

Judging by the showing at today's match (not to mention the 500,000 watching in Berlin), that attitude change has stuck.

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Well, good morning. Still can't believe that goal Unreal, especially from that angle. From Löw's post-match inteview:

It's being said to death this morning, but it really was an incredible team effort, both last night and throughout the tournament. Key injuries, including to Reus (Bundesliga player of the year) just a week or two before. Lose Khedira just before the match begins and his replacement, Kramer, twenty minutes in. And then his replacement sets up the winning goal. Just incredible.

jp-30, Ender Sai, Darth_Omega and 2 others like this.
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah the depth on this team far outclassed their opponents. It was great to see such a talented and determined side win.

I mean, from the American perspective, it's a nice reminder and thing to look up to both. We have these German-American players we love and who have been good for us. Then if we think about the fact that none of these guys could make the German squad, it should certainly bolster respect for Germany. So impressive.

This was a much, much nicer final than 2010.

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Meant to reply last night, Ender, Podolski is a Köln native, in his post-match interview (together with Schweinsteiger and Kramer) said something to the effect of "tear down the town". I'm sure your friends did. And that they're starting to run out of Kölsch!

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Where are all of our Super Mario memes?!? I'm sure that had to have rolled off many an announcer's tongue as it did in the US. I see the papers have all taken it up. Where's reddit on this??

Also, what's the over-under on how many kids named Mario are born in Germany 9 months from now?

yankee8255 likes this.
  10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm completely out of my element here, but the winning goal seemed to bear more than a passing resemblance to Michael Thomas' goal for Arsenal in 1989.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    My point is, Law 3 basically enforces the number of subs that can be added for good reason. i.e. had Nederlands been allowed to swap Cilissen for Krul and bring van Persie back on, it might've been a different story vs Argentina. If a concussion allows for a sub (and it's pretty hard to ascertain concussion accurately) could it not be used tactically to advantage?

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course that's a concern, I did think of that immediately. It would be a greater extension of diving which would have to be monitored.

But I think people literally putting their lives at risk is of larger concern than if people would fake concussions for subs.

(And again, I think if someone winds up going out the emergency sub could then count as one of the three as is usual for injury).

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Obviously you don't want to see a player with a concussion on the field risking his long-term health, but with all the play-acting already prevalent in the sport, I'm not sure how they could make any type of extra-sub system work.

Speaking of subs, as great a job as Argentina's coach Sabella did overall, WTF was he thinking taking off Lavezzi at half time? Germany had no answer for him, he was the perfect weapon to attack Germany's biggest weakness, Benedikt Höwedes at left back. Argentina had a few chances after that, but they came more from Germany mistakes (Hummels misjudging the ball in extra time) than from Argentina's own build-up.

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I actually think what solojones is saying isn't too bad. Let the extra sub in while the player is examined, if the original player can't go back into the game, than that sub is counted as one of the three allowed. It would just allow a proper examination to be done, without penalty for the team that has to play with one man less.

solojones, Juliet316 and jp-30 like this.
  15. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Jeez! :p

-JR :)

heels1785 likes this.
  16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I really, really loved that Götze did this. So much more meaningful than that pre-game silliness Brazil pulled with Neymar
    [​IMG]

DarthIntegral likes this.
  17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Of course yankee8255 is happy that die Mannschaft is the new Weltmeister, this win is, of course, only second to a much more important competition.

Congratulations for winning the JCC Fantasy Football league. =D=

The final top three:
    1. yankee8255 686 points
    2. Darth_Omega 660 points
    3. SithLordDarthRichie 563 points

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  19. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    With the power of hindsight, I wonder how much Germany (and to lesser extend Netherlands with Robben) benefited from Bayern becoming champions in March while the Spanish clubs had to play seriously till the final day and of course play that CL final.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Ender Sai likes this.
  21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Tornado warning is pretty significant especially for a region that is not prone to them.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, had it been the World Series Sportsball or Patriotball tournaments, you can bet they wouldn't have done interrupted. [face_flag]

solojones and Everton like this.
  23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    solojones likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This. Plus if there is a tornado warning, TV stations are sort of obligated to interrupt broadcasts to let people know about the fact that, you know, something very unpredictable and potentially deadly is headed right for them.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They can show it at the bottom.