main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Are you a dog person, a cat person, or neither? [face_laugh] Did you or do you still have stuffed animals? ;)

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    To add to Nyota's question... If and when you had stuffed animals, which was your favorite? Do you have any left from your childhood?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Ever fire a gun?

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Have you met anyone from these forums in person? Have you been to past SW celebrations, & are you planning to come to the next one?

5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    What fictional place would you most like to visit?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, Beauty and the Beast hands down. It is my favourite Disney movie and fairy tale, and it remains one of my favourite tropes to this day. [face_love]

I enjoyed KoTOR. I certainly prefer the post OT world for my Star Wars enjoyment, but it was a fun game. :)

And then, any part really. It's hard to break it down and choose.

And I actually prefer the musical to the Wicked books - I know, shame on me. :p The plot certainly has its flaws, and while I do not precisely think the green skin worth that much angst, the way she was treated for it certainly was, and it is a good way to satirize a real problem, even in a far-fetched setting. :)

After a very bad experience of loosing everything, yes, I use an external hard drive to back my work up. :)

I do a little bit of both. For shorter pieces, I will wing the entire thing and just let myself write as the words come to me - really, it is surprising what the mind can do on its own. But I almost always know the direction of what I am going to write and the main points I want to hit beforehand. If it is a long, chaptered piece, I know the beginning/end, and a few key plot points, then I will worry about working out the more intricate details as I go. I do use outlines in a notebook for my novel-length work, where I will also jot down little pieces of conversations or lines of prose I want to include in a passage. I try not to plan everything to the last detail, simply because that frustrates my muse more often than not. Most creation is done in the moment, and there is only so much you can plan before you just sit down and actually let your words loose.

Oh, dogs! I am allergic to cats, unfortunately, but I prefer dogs to cats, so it kinda works out. I have a little mutt of a Pomeranian/Yorkie whom I named Pippin, and he is rather like his namesake, at that. :oops:[face_laugh] He follows me around like Lassie, no joke, and I just adore him. [face_love]

I had many stuffed animals growing up, and to answer @TrakNar's question too, I still have one of them - a white teddy bear that my child self named Sua. She has had her rattle inside placed a dozen times, and she has an arm that likes to come off that has been resewn often over the years, but I just can't get rid of her. [face_love]

Nope, never want to either. :(

I have met one person from the boards. Idrelle_Miocovani lives just across from me in Canada, and I have known her in an online context for years now. She's a play-write, and a really good one, at that - she just had a show in the London Fringe Festival, so I drove to Ontario for the weekend to see the play and meet her in person, and it was the best. [face_love] That was just back in June, actually.

Then, I have not been to the past SW celebrations, but I would love to attend the next one. That would be too cool for words. :D

Oh Middle-earth, without a doubt. [face_love]

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you Mira!

Remember, if you want to be a subject, or there is someone you would like to be a subject of FFAMA, send a PM to Bri or me. If it's someone you would like to see, we will ask them before placing them on the list.

Our next victim is actually our first requested person. Fanficers, for your question asking pleasure I give you.... Idrelle_Miocovani

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Wooohooooooo! [face_dancing] [:D]

I have to ask what everyone first wonders: your pen name, how is it pronounced, and how did you come to choose it? :D

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Idrelle!

Have you always lived/worked in Canada or did you migrate from the U.S.?

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I have to thank Mira_Jade for nominating for me for this. :p Looks fun!

[face_laugh]

Now that's an interesting tale. My pen name is pronounced "IH" (like the short "i" in "if") -"drelle" (rhymes with "belle") and then "MEE-oh-co-VAHN (long A, like in "father")-nee". My pen name's nickname, Idri, is pronounced "IH" (like the short "i" in "if") -"dree".

How did I choose it? Well... I was fourteen at the time of signing up for the boards. "Idrelle" was inspired/supposed to be an alternative spelling of Idril, a character in the Silmarillion (which I was reading at the time). I knew I wanted a last name for my pen name, and I just randomly came up with "Miocovani" after staring at my keyboard for a while. :p

I am 100% Canadian, born and raised. My hometown is actually on the Ontario/Michigan border and the university I went to is near the Ontario/New York border, but despite that, I have only been to the U.S. three times in my life (technically four, but we were taking a short-cut through Michigan to get to Sault Ste. Marie, and I'm not sure if that counts or not! :p ).

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi Idri—I don't know if we've met. Pleased to meet you. :)

How did you first get started in writing fan fiction? Any early influences/inspirations/etc.?

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you find the process/challenges of writing fanfics different from professional writing?

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What do you do for a living?

14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Who is your favourite Star Wars character and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, the Silmarillion reference for the win. ;)

And then: Have you found that any Canadian tropes or clichés apply to you? Do you enjoy hockey, have you ever stayed in an igloo, has a polar bear ever crossed the road before you? ;) Or for a more serious form of that question, what's something you enjoy about living in Canada? :)

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Idrelle always reminded me of Idril too - ;)

Favorite season of the year and why?

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who do you consider best dressed in SW?

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not read or seen either of them so I can not call you on it, but by the summaries I have read I think I would prefer the musical, the book sounds a bit to cynical for my taste.

I was more thinking of that the movie have every winkie we see have the same green skin as the witch and the original book had her normal skinned.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    As the one who introduced me to Dr. Who-ness, [face_laugh] which Doctor is your favorite and which of his myriad companions? :cool:

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Pleased to meet you, too! :)

I've always been a writer (I was "writing" and putting together illustrated books before I even knew how to write), so it's really hard for me to pinpoint any early influences or inspirations. Writing's always something that I've just done.

I wrote my first piece of fan fic when I was seven and I had no idea what fan fic was. :p I was obsessed with the Jewel Princess series (they're kind of cutesy and very '90s) and wanted to continue the sisters' adventures and expand the world they lived in.

The first time I consciously chose to write fan fic was when I was fourteen and stumbled across the JC's Fan Fic Archive. I wrote several pieces and submitted them - I wasn't selected (which was crushing, but a good learning experience at such a young age :p ). Then I discovered the actual boards and the fan fic section and went, "Oh, so there IS a place where you can just post stuff without having to be reviewed/beta'ed". I wrote Star Wars fan fic for a very long time and there were many years where I didn't feel inspired to write in any other fandom rather than SW. The writing community here was incredibly supportive and there were so many great authors out there (DarthIshtar was my mentor for a while) who were always free to let me bounce ideas off of them or ask advice.

My writing process isn't very different between fan fic and professional writing. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person, so I tackle every project with the same amount of effort. The biggest difference is that fan fic is the area where I can really explore style and genre and play around without any kind of restrictions. I'm a playwright by trade, not a novelist, and writing plays is a very different kind of experience. You can't play fast-and-loose with your deadlines, because the actors need a certain amount of time to learn the material. You can't write ANYTHING you want, because it has to be stageable. A playwright needs to have as much of a director's vision as the director does. You also can't write as much as you want to, because you're dealing with time limits, which transfer into page/word count limits (i.e. a 60 minute show will roughly translate into a 45-50 paged or ~11,000 word script, depending on format). And then when you start writing kids' shows (to be performed for kids, by kids), you need to start considering line counts for each character and make sure you don't have a role that leaves some poor child standing around onstage with nothing to do for an hour.

So... I guess my answer to your question is much more about the difference between writing scripts and writing novels/short stories rather than fan fic vs. professional. :p

What I am currently aiming to be is a playwright/actor/director. I don't get very many paying gigs at the moment (the biggest show I did this year - the one Mira_Jade came to see - barely made enough profit to pay back our gas expenses, let alone actually paying the cast/crew an honorarium) so I can't make a living off of my work. Theatre people do a lot of non-paying work into order to eventually get paying jobs. It sucks, but that is how the system currently works, and hopefully artists around the world will be able to work to change that some day.

I work a variety of jobs. I am an artistic associate for a children's theatre company, for whom I write, stage manage and direct. I also work as a standardized patient for medical and nursing programs. Most of my other jobs involve running various children's art/drama programs. I do a lot of work with kids.

Ooooh... good question. At one point, I probably would have immediately said Jaina Solo, but right now, I'm re-discovering my love for the OT characters. So I would have to go with Han. I love his character arc throughout the OT, from smuggler to general.Plus, he has some really fun dialogue and he one of the most intriguing characters in any of the films, IMO.

[face_laugh]

Probably the only one that really applies is that I say "sorry" a lot. Somehow being apologetic for things you have no control over is a way of being polite. I don't understand why, but everyone I know does it. :p The meaning of the word completely changes depending on tone and inflection. We have like twelve different ways of saying "sorry".

I suppose the other cliches that apply is that I am agonizingly polite most of the time, I speak French and I love maple syrup. And winter. I love winter.

For the record, I hate hockey with a passion.

Something I enjoy about living in Canada?

I like the vibe. Most places I go, people are very welcoming, open and friendly. I also really appreciate the natural beauty of the country. We have SO many wonderful places where you can go exploring and really get away from the commotion of urban areas.

Winter. I'm not a fan of heat or humidity, and I love being able to play in snow and wrap myself up in a warm blanket with a cup of hot chocolate. Cross-country skiing is my favourite sport and you can't exactly do that in any other season besides winter... :p

Lando Calrissian. :cool: Man's got style.

Oooh, good question! And... I introduced you to Doctor Who-ness? My memory must be slipping, I totally forgot that! I am so sorry! :oops:

Current favourite Doctor is Eight, thanks to the wonderful acting skills of the one and only Paul McGann and the terrific writing at Big Finish. Eight's audio adventures are phenomenal. Favourite companion? I'd say either Charley or Lucie (again, from Eight's audio adventures). Both of them are awesome, kickass ladies and have terrific character arcs. [face_peace]

Findswoman likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Maple syrup!!!! That leads perfectly to:

French toast, waffles, or pancakes? LOL

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?
    Favourite SW culture and why?

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Idri! [:D] (And so bummed I completely missed Mira's :( )

If you had to only write in one fandom for the rest of your life, what would it be?

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    So, what is a "standardized patient," actually? That's a new one on me, and it sounds intriguing...

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Favorite villain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.