main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    At least Stanton, Cespedes, and Bautista (and I suppose Adam Jones, too) are making this watchable enough.

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Home run contest = BORING!

3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It can often be regardless of the format/rules put-in-place, but man some of the rule changes for this year's version... holy ****, such garbage.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    3rd time within a week this double-post glitch has occurred to me... yikes. :p

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I apologize for the "triple-post" here, but.. http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/midwest-markets-are-dominating-mlbs-local-ratings.html]Some[/url] rather interesting info concerning the television ratings for the 1st-half of the MLB season

Some rather dicey information there concerning the Dodgers-network situation... here's my Facebook rant ( :p ) about that:

Not a surprise at all concerning the Midwest; "Somewhat surprisingly, the Dodgers have the second-lowest rating in the league at just 0.70 as the war between SportsNet LA and Los Angeles providers continues to wage on. The Dodgers also average just 40,000 viewers per game, the fifth-lowest mark in the game." When 70% of the 2nd-largest television/media market in the nation can't access the games via TV, you're going to have that kind of insane/not-true-to-the actual reality (as L.A. is one of the best baseball towns in all of the U.S.) statistic. Yes, of course, there far greater forces in my life, many within my control, to be upset about, but here's the thing: Baseball, well any sport, serves as one of the ultimate distractions in life, and when said life is full of more serious issues, those distractions become more beautiful things... however, when access to said distraction becomes a **** hurricane such as this, it kind-of adds a previously missing cranky-edge to it all. I'll try not to bring this up again until a deal for SNLA is actually finalized.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

dear god yes

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Poor Mo.. causing unemployment...

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    some may find this terrifying

[​IMG]

some observations:
    1) tunes, the dodger bear is missing
    2) too many green mascots. and why are they all together
    3) since when did the Reds mascot become a lady ball?
    4) the diamondbacks creature sitting to the left of ms. red is terrifying and looks like a human in fur
    5) clark the cub looks way too happy

and too many open mouths. the rockies triceratops has got it right

the creeptastic guy on the left in the bottom row is the padres' FRIAR.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    imperial_dork and DarthTunick like this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it needs a big, cartoonish, disproportionate head. The realistic head just makes it look like the Halloween costume a killer would wear in a slasher movie. Or a furry suit. Either way, if I saw that thing coming down the street, I'd run.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That's unequivocally a great thing.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    the old guy with the red necklace agrees with you

[​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Here's the nicest thing I'll say about the bear: it's at least better than this monstrosity:

[​IMG].

I believe that's just confined to roaming around Chavez Ravine, which is bad enough, but at least some-what contained.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha. Is Chavez Ravine like a neighborhood? I just got a mental image of that giant head wandering the neighborhood, day and night. The horror movie writes itself.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Of course it used to be, but the area in & around the Dodger Stadium is rather still rather nice:

[​IMG].

I've always felt that it's rather nifty that the stadium was built right into the hillside at the ravine, which has lead to numerous photographs such as that one to which I enjoy immensely.

[​IMG]

A section of Elysian Park, a large area adjacent to the stadium/on the right-side coming up Stadium Way as one enters the ballpark (which is, by far, my favorite route to enter Dodger Stadium, specifically for the views of Elysian Park).

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That looks magnificent.

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm a sucker for palm trees, so the fact that the park is lined up with many of 'em makes it an absolute winner in my book; also, the scene in the park before a game (the amount of folks there varies of course) is also nice to view: folks grilling, drinking, playing catch, etc. Nothing out-of-the ordinary/unexpected there, but still cool none-the-less.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Did Tim lose a bet or something?

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Possibly when he finished last by 1,000 miles in the Milwaukee sausage race. More likely than not, he was just being the hilarious awesome dude he is.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yessss, 3-runs given up by Wainwright in the 1st! 2 of 'em via a Miggy Cabrera -my favorite non-Dodger player presently in all of baseball- home run. LOVE IT; **** you Matheny, Wainwright.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jeter with the leadoff inside-out double. Somewhere Joe Torre is smiling.

DarthTunick likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Unless Jeter hits one in his next at-bat, Ripken's home run in the '01 all-star game was still cooler.

:p

24. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I mean, I get letting Neshek pitch because of his story, he's from Minnesota. But really, Tyler Clippard? In the 5th inning? Kershaw couldn't have gone two? Henderson Alvarez still hasn't pitched. I'm told "this time it counts" so let's throw out Tyler Clippard! That's what the fans want to see. It's long been known that the reason fewer and fewer people watch the All Star game is not enough middle relievers.

They need to move the game to Wednesday to end the whole "guys who go Sunday can't pitch in the game" thing.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Can't move the game to Wednesday. Screws up the ESPYs.