main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    We have a storm rolling in, so the humidity is up.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tiberius, Drusus, and Germanicus did just fine. Varus was just too trusting and had his troops in a full marching column, packs and all. He wasn't ready to fight. That's the real lesson.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Apparently someone from LACWAC found it on Deviantart, they didn't draw it. Still, though, [face_plain]

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    tbh that's pretty tame for ploloni fanart.

6. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Ahsoka is the flower girl, I presume. Or their adopted daughter.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

I'm not even going to ask.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Certainly. Or Chief Naturalist or something. Though you'd also make a mighty fine Court Artist...

Incidentally, Jello, I'm not quite sure why I'm the one recruiting people for positions at your court. What am I, your Court HR Director? :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the last time I assembled an imperial court (high school), it was that people would beg me for titles. I'd not need to do any recruiting myself, and in fact had too many people requesting letters patent with few titles to go around.

Besides, "HR Director" is *so* bourgeois. I'd prefer something like Lord Chamberlain (not to be confused with Grand/Great Chamberlain, depending on whether we were following the Napoleonic English model, which is a Grand/Great Officer of State).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A Great Offiver of State sounds like it would be a wonderful job. I hope I would be elibigle.

:p

Unless you would like me to be Kapellmeister (or I guess technically Kapellmeisterin) or some such. Up to you. :D

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Gand Officer of State. :p

I guess I'll be Gand Chief Naturalist, while Trip can be the Gand Chief Forester. I identify it and then Trip kills it. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    And the Americans forgot the overall lesson when they sent division after division of troops into the Hürtgen Forest, not to mention the whole thing with the Ardennes, both in '40 and '44.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know what that means, Findswoman. Does it mean you'd be the Mistress of Music or something? That's the only thing I can guess from context and cognates.

You can be the Director of Intelligence, if you want. After all, the job is to put bugs on people. Trip will lead Counterintelligence.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1, MercenaryAce and TrakNar like this.
  14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    umm excuse me i am not a bug

posted from my phone

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Leader of the choir, orchestra or a traditional "big band".

If you want something for your court ;) Master of the Queen's Music is something similar, at least here in the UK.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh hey, Power Rangers fans, guess what project Roberto Orci is helping out with now that he's stepped away from the Spider-Man movies? He, Ashley Miller and Zach Stentz (of Agent Cody Banks, Andromeda, Thor and X-men First Class fame) will apparently be doing the story, and he'll also exec. produce the movie through his new company, Sneaky Shark. Which means he's probably left Bad Robot for good.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You kill them for a living, yes? That was my point.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Jooooiiiiinnnnn ussssss...

19. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ew no omg

Jello idgi

posted from my phone

20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, at least Jello isn't trying to assimilate us into a Borg collective.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Jello is more of a hegemony person ;)

22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

You're both right. It basically means the person who organizes all the music at court (though the term was also used in civic contexts and at ecclesiastical establishments like cathedrals and the like). Equivalent terms are maître de chappelle, maestro di cappella and maestro de capilla, depending on where you're from. ;)

Incidentally, the first-ever female Master of the Queen's Music was appointed not long ago. I was surprised that the position still existed, but a friend of mine pointed out that the position actually is more honorific than anything and has few specific duties attached to it. A Kappellmeister, on the other hand, does actually do stuff like recruit musicians and organize and conduct performances. :)

EDIT: Incidentally, is anyone keeping track of all this? So far I think we have:
    Grand High Field Marshal: Goodwood
    Gand Chief Naturalist: TrakNar
    Gand Chief Forester (maybe?): Trip
    Anyone else...?

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Wouldn't that be a Hofkapellmeister?

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

That term works too; it's just a more specific case. It's not incorrect, at least in discussing early modern music history, to use just the term Kapellmeister for that kind of position, whether you're discussing a court or a chapel or some other music establishment—e.g., it's not wrong to say that Michael Praetorius was the Kapellmeister at the ducal court of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, or that J. S. Bach was Kapellmeister at the court of Leopold, Prince of Anhalt-Cöthen, from 1717 to 1723.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Now you have made it impossible for me not to visualise Findswoman looking like this
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and TrakNar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.