main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Thanks for contributing such a quality post to this thread!

2. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I do my best
    It was a joke, actually. I'm sure Cleveland has many outstanding qualities.

3. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Jimmy Graham just tweeted out that he and the Saints have reached a long term deal.

DarthTunick and dp4m like this.
  5. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    4 years, $40 million according to Schefter:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 4m
    Saints are signing TE Jimmy Graham to a 4-year, $40 million deal that includes $21 million guaranteed, per source familiar with deal.

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That seems... very cheap?

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well one thing to consider is that the deadline to reach a long - term deal was today.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So Chris Kluwe is suing the Vikings, namely assistant/ST coach Mike Priefer, who, if Kluwe's recollections are accurate, is a horrible human being. For those who do not know, Kluwe is an active and passionate advocate for the LGBT community, and that apparently did not go over well with some of his coaches. Kluwe was cut by the Vikings last summer, was picked up and subsequently cut by the Raiders, and is now retired.

Kluwe outlined it all in January, right here. Mr. Priefer denied the accusations.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Not as far as TE go. The report I heard is that the contract makes Graham the highest paid TE in the NFL, which is why Graham wanted to be listed as a WR so he could negotiate a higher $$$ contract.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He wanted WR designation solely to increase his payout from the franchise tag the Saints slapped on him this year, where the league dictates how much each position is paid under the tag. As a tight end, the payout is 6 mil. As a receiver, the payout is 10.5 mil.

He could have negotiated as much as he wanted in this deal, could have demanded 30 million a year if he wanted - position had nothing to do with it.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Position designation had everything to do with Graham's current contract negotiation, as the Saints had leverage over Graham because of the arbitrator's decision. Since the Saints franchise tagged him as a TE he could only make $7 million this year and they negotiated his contract as a TE. Do you think if Graham was a top two or three WRs he would settle for a $40 million contract?

FYI WR contracts, http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

1. WR Calvin Johnson = $113 Million contract
    2. WR Larry Fitzgerald = $113 Million contract
    3. WR Andre Johnson = $67 Million contract
    4. WR Percy Havin = $64 Million contract
    5. WR Mike Wallace = $60 Million contract
    12. WR Antonio Brown = $41 Million contract

TE Jimmy Graham = $40 Million contract

Are you seriously saying that Jimmy Graham designation as a TE did not at all factor in his contract negotiation?

Fact, he's not making top tier WR money; not even the Top 12 WR contracts.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What are the guaranteed #s on those contracts. That's the somewhat more real arbiter.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

1. Stop overreacting and being sensitive. Be a true Sensei.

2. Yes, I'm saying Graham's designation from the NFL had nothing to do with his current contract. The NFL designating him as a WR for this year's franchise tag would not have changed his play style, or how the Saints (or any other potential suitors) would have used or valued him. He does not have the physical skills of those wide receivers you listed. His is a tight end, and the stuff with the league was all over 4.5 million dollars for this year.

His contract was with the Saints, and had everything to do with how much they value him. If the Saints were not going to pay him what he thought he deserved, he would have found another team.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I'm sure they're still higher than Graham's regardless.

Yeah, they are probably going to need to change things with the TE designation in terms of contracts. They're way behind. Tony Gonzalez in particular changed that position forever, and that was over a decade ago so yeah.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I agree - I think with the way the slot game is used today, the 4.5 million dollar gap is lunacy, and Graham was right to go for the money. I'm not sure why he didn't test free agency, honestly - the guaranteed 21 million is good, but I think a desperate team with a ton of cap (which the Saints do not have) would have thrown a ton of cash at him.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm not overreacting. I just can't believe you don't feel his designation as a TE did not play any part of his contract negotiations.

1. The Saints franchise tagged him as a TE, meaning he was a restricted free agent and he can't just find some other team to sign up with.

2. As being designated as a TE, Graham had a position salary cap and the Saints used that as leverage. Moreover, no other team was going to pay more than the position salary cap for this season.

3. Point to an article that says that Graham's designation as TE did not play any factor in his contract negotiations. Every article I read pretty notes the designation gave the Saints leverage over Graham.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Not a surprise, but the Cowboys are going to release Kyle Orton.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting. Somebody can get a good backup QB.

And Sensei, can you please link me to one of these articles that you've read? If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/02/arbitrator-rules-jimmy-grahams-a-tight-end/

Article notes Saints have leverage and will save money on his contract because he's designated as a TE.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...end-for-franchise-tag-by-arbitrator/12046925/

Another article noting Graham's designation at TE gave the Saints leverage in negotiating the long term contract, despite Graham leading in the league and touchdown catches and in the Top 15 in catches and receiving yards.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

I am defeat, Sensei.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Thanks but, I didn't mean for the subject to be any type of heated debate. So hopefully no hard feelings.

Anyway, I'm surprised the Cowboys let Kyle Orton go considering the health of Romo. Maybe the Niners can sign Orton, as I am not sure Blaine Gabbert is the answer.

The Niners open their season in Dallas. Niner fans, such as myself, are looking forward to that game.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not considering Orton hasn't shown up for any of the mandatory team stuff including his physical.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sensei - of course not, mate. Just good fun.

So Greg Hardy's going to prison. Two months, probably less, for assaulting his girlfriend. I'd imagine Goodell isn't messing around with this, and he'll be done for the year - his girlfriend was using language like "scared for my life."

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And Titus Young was arrested. Again.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    My first reflex was to dispute this, then I remembered Flacco.