main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Anakin Have Any Friends In The Jedi Order

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Did Anakin Have Any Friends In The Jedi Order

Poll closed Jul 15, 2016.
  1. Yes, he was quite popular and had many friends

30.6%
  2. No, he was more of an outcast, and looked down upon among the jedi

69.4%
  1. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    I mean, other than Obi-wan? It honestly doesn't seem like he had that many friends at all, neither as a padawan nor a knight. Did he have many friends, was he popular among the jedi order, or was he more of an outcast? What do you guys think?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's not shown in the movies, is it? I'm not sure how anyone can comment with any certainty without referencing the now non-canon Legends EU.

If I had to guess, I'd say he didn't have many friends, based on his jerkass personality, his anger problem, his competitiveness.....he's so different. He was raised differently, trained differently, he has different beliefs/values/opinions, a different way of thinking, a different personality and behavior....everything about him is different and it's a trope that those who are different often have a hard time fitting in. Plus, the whole Chosen One thing probably didn't make things easier.

I doubt Vader had many friends, either.

3. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    ^^ This.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There's not even anything in the EU that references Anakin's friendships that I know of. But I'm going with no as well.

5. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I think he had a couple of friends. About as much as a normal child anyways. The older Jedi disapproved of him, but the younger ones liked him.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin doesn't need friends, they would just slow him down

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Considering that's the way he felt about his masters, he probably felt the same about his peers.

8. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    He didn't seem to have many drinking buddies in the Jedi Order, if that's the question being posed. Obi-Wan was his friend, as was Ahsoka. It seemed, at least in the Clone Wars, that he tended to get along better with non-Jedi such as Captain Rex and Admiral Yularen.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the Jude Watson Jedi Quest books. In the Coruscant Nights books set in the aftermath of RoTS I think Jax Pavan is, if not a friend, at least slightly closer to Anakin (in flashback references) than other Padawans. We also see Anakin working with other Padawans in the Clone Wars comics.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think that is partially correct. But once Anakin started dating, I think he chose avoiding getting close to anyone not named Padme or Senator Palpatine.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think he had friends.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Well, I don't think he always thought that way.

13. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Oh yeah, I have the first couple Jedi Quest books.

14. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Yeah, I think, it seems like the padawans would have looked up to him, not the older jedi.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    I think I should've put a third option, saying that he just had the number of friends a normal kid/teen would have.

16. Sariel2005

Sariel2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2014
    He doesn't seem to. I guess since he started out as a Padawan he missed the group training that would have him make friends with his peers growing up. Its possible ( although pure speculation on my part) that Padawans travel around with their masters partly to deliberately separate them from their childhood friends to weaken potential attachments within the order. So Anakin was probably fairly lonely. That helps explain his attachment to Padme in part.

In TCW he does not seem to be particularly close to any of the other Jedi. With those he gets on with ( such as Luminara ) he seems more business like. He does seem to have a genuine friendship with Rex though, and albeit in a master-Padawan way with Ahsoka.
    In part that may also explain his venting about Obi Wan when he meets up with Padme after all that time. In the real world, we cope with the things that annoy us about people we love by bitching about them and their foibles with our friends, helps keep us sane and stop us from murdering them. Anakin not having that vent would makes more sense of his unloading on Padme so much within ten minutes.

17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Anakin's human friends as a child could still be alive in Episode VII. They would be approximately 75 years old.

Kitster Chanchani Banai was born 41 years before Yavin. Yavin takes place 3 years before Jedi. Episode VII takes place about 30 years after that.

41+3+30 = 74

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    "Friends, we are, Skywalker, hmmm?"

"Of course, master."

Quote from Yoda and Anakin in S6 of TCW.

/thread :)p)

Sent from my R2 unit

19. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Isn't Yavin four years before ROTJ? I mean, if ESB is three years after ANH, and ROTJ is one year after ESB.

I was tempted to mention this too. :p

Darkslayer and dolphin like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Might depend how much time passes during an episode.

Yavin was a bit over 3.5 years before ROTJ - ESB is 3 years after Yavin, but ROTJ is a bit less than a year after ESB. In the novel, 6 Tatooine months lapse - and in the EU I think this corresponded to 8 standard months.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_VI:_Return_of_the_Jedi

although the novelization gives the time period as six months, The Essential Atlas specifies that the events of the films are separated by approximately eight months).

Jedi_Apprentice and dolphin like this.
  21. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    In Legends there was Tru Veld (Jedi Quest) and Ferus Olin, who was more his rival. And the other padawans in tha group got along with him ok, I think

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Neither option in the poll really fits my opinion. I don't think that he was a popular center of attention nor do I think that he was a total social pariah

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, basically this. Watson's books show him with peers, but none of them are really "friends" that I recall. Jax Pavan says he considered himself friends with Anakin, or "as close to friends as one could get with Anakin Skywalker." So in other words, Anakin was either intimidating or off-putting to the other Padawans his age, to the point that his "friends" were only that in the loosest sense of the word. Not that I think Anakin wouldn't want friends, but he conflicted with even Obi-Wan, so I can't see any friendships he had being all that close.

In the Clone Wars comics, the only member of the "Padawan Pack" that Anakin seemed close to was Aubrie, and she seemed to have a crush on him–which, of course, he didn't reciprocate since he was married to Padme at that point. The other Padawans had already paired off with each other at that point so even they weren't that close to Anakin compared to each other. You know, it occurs to me that those Padawans were the absolute worst at following the Jedi Code (almost all of them were romantically attached to another member of the group), but they were pretty awesome Jedi. Sort of like prototypes of Luke's Jedi, or what the Jedi Order would've eventually become when the younger generation became the head.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Argagax

Argagax Jedi Padawan

May 19, 2014
    Close enough.

25. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    They're holding me back! I hate them!

He would have been put with younger kids in Padawan school since he started training so late.