main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I guess I'm due to say something, but I don't really know what to say. Or how to say what I'm feeling, I guess. I'm really confused. The last few years have been me pouring a lot of energy into hating a guy that I loved. A guy that made me fall in love with basketball. I was in a really weird spot in my life, in kind of a bad emotional place...and I fell in love with that team. I fell in love with watching the games, hanging out with my dad on the couch at night, cheering them on. He gave us all hope. He gave Cleveland hope. He made it all seem not so bad. And like LloydChristmas said, it felt like he was one of us. It felt like he understood, but then he made us all look and feel really ****ing stupid.

So what happened really cut deep. But man...he's coming back. He's coming home. And I can't help but feel excited. I'm gradually coming around. It's just...it's a lot of hurt feelings to let go. Over that time I fell in love with Pierce and KG and the Spurs. It's going to be weird and it's going to be hard but it's also going to be so exciting. So yeah, I realize this is disjointed and not very eloquent, but it's the best I can make of everything I'm feeling right now.

But I do have to say...

Welcome back.

2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll agree with this. We may forgive him (I won't. Not for a long while anyway) but we won't forget. Before this Lebron was high up on the list of who I wanted this title for. Now the top 3 in no particular order Cleveland, the Cavs, Ohio. Then Anderson Varejao (or however you spell it), Kyrie Irving, the tv announcers, the PA announcer, the other players, the fans and Lebron way at the bottom. I'm in it for everyone else.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, I think I've decided I don't want the Cavaliers to trade for Kevin Love.

Why?

Because, as LeBron put it, nothing comes easy in NE Ohio. And to add LeBron and Love in a single offseason ... That would really feel like trying to take a shortcut to a title, much like the Heat in 2010.

Let's let this team grow together. Take their lumps. And allow Wiggins to grow. That way, the window in Cleveland can be unbelievably long. And, they'll earn any title that comes their way.

(Note: this is me being ideological and philosophical. I'd still accept a Love deal, and would celebrate any title that might come with it)

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    The Asik to NOLA deal became a three teamer yesterday:

Pelicans:
    Center Omer Asik, small forward Omri Casspi and $1.5 million in cash from Houston

Rockets:
    From NOLA: small forward Alonzo Gee, shooting guard Scotty Hopson and 2015 protected first-round pick
    From Washington: small forward Trevor Ariza

Wizards:
    unguaranteed contract of Melvin Ely from New Orleans, while creating an $8.5 million trade exception through Ariza's exit

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

dp4m, Point Given

DarthIntegral You make very valid points there concerning the Cleveland-Love connection... the Cavs as currently constructed can still make waves in the East.

Of course should the Cleveland-Love connection not occur, that leaves the Lakers with the slightest of chances of getting the Love! :p

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah, we had our best player, and absolutely nobody else. Tyson and Bargnani were injured for half the year and Tyson never really recovered so we had basically no big men since STAT is a glorified 7th man at this point in his career. And J.R and Shump both lost their shot. And Felton was Felton. Melo had to do everything. Now we have a healthy big man in Dalembert and an upgrade at PG with Calderon. If we resist trading Hardaway, we'll snag a playoff spot. Probably the highest we'll get is the 6th but its something for next year when all our big contracts come off the books.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Isola is a joy to follow on Twitter, as he can be such as prickish troll in a way that's entertaining... the anti-Skip Bayless.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not only what PG said, but also that -- as constructed -- the Bulls were entirely geared around defense and people that bought into the system. When you have even Tyson Chandler not playing defense any longer because it's just not worth it... good luck with that.

Also, combined with the injuries therein it was like a Lebron-Cavs team with Melo and 10 dead guys on a roster.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Or like the Heat in the Finals this year BOOM LET'S GO

xblackout, PRENNTACULAR, dp4m and 3 others like this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm watching the 76ers/Cavs game in LV and it's the first chance I've had to see the obvious & impressive improvements that Bennett has made. Having less pressure and focus on him has paid dividends. He has dropped 20 lbs and he is solid at both ends of the court. Good for him.

DarthTunick and xblackout like this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've read as much as well, so hopefully that translates to a better sophomore campaign*; if that occurs, and as such he gets serious playing time/is a key contributor for the Cavs, then they'd be the 1st team since the late ('87-'89) Showtime Lakers (Magic-Kareem-Worth- Mychal Thompson) to have four #1 picks playing on the same team. Despite all of the circumstances which led to that, it's still a rather nifty bit of reality/trivia.

*Of course if Bennett resumes his role as The Notorious D.N.P., that bit of trivia doesn't really matter... sure, it would still be technically true, but not worth mentioning really.

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Wade gets a 4/60 deal? Wow. That's gonna be worse than Kobe's in the next year or two at most. Heat should have just blown it up, they're gonna be just middle of the road now.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat drop to the 6 seed or worse.

In fact, I'm gonna go ahead and make my East playoff predictions now:

1) Cavs
    2) Pacers
    3) Wizards
    4) Raptors
    5) Bulls
    6) Heat
    7) Nets
    8) Bucks

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's apparently a 2 year deal with a player option for the other two.

Also former Mr. Kardashian, Kris Humpries was dealt to the Wizards in a sign and trade.

18. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Ugh Mike Miller.

At least he was with Memphis last year.

19. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
  20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, at least he should be coming off the bench. right?

21. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    SIGN. MO. WILLIAMS.

DarthIntegral and xblackout like this.
  22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-legacy/]Simmons[/url] on 'Melo

dp4m, Runjedirun, Point Given, LloydChristmas

A rather nifty view there on 'Melo's career, and so forth... one of my favorite Simmons columns of late; also some very sailent points concerning the Lakers. Jimmy 'Boy' Buss? Not a bad nickname, though I still prefer 'Fredo'.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/15/doc-rivers-faces-challenges-with-los-angeles-clippers/MgW5MS5Ii13qJt7wL7tObO/story.html]Doc[/url] Rivers (continues) facing challenges with the Clippers

1) It's such sweet, sweet music to my fair-skinned reddish ears to read how much that 2010 Lakers triumph over the Celtics still haunts, and causes much consternation for him (and Thibs); this is also why I'm not all that upset that Gasol's gone, or that Metta World Artest turned into too of much a hit-or-miss (pun there NOT intended) player after that series... receivers of the "Pat Riley lifetime pass" from NBA-related criticism. :p

2) In a perverse, completely not rational in-a-sports way logic, I'm pleased to see that Donald Sterling's utter prickishness thus far this summer has continued to cast a pall over the Clippers. From my POV, just a bit too much praise was heaped upon Rivers for his role in keeping the Clippers focused on actual basketball matters during the playoffs, his righteous "I can't believe Sterling said THAT!" attitude post-Stiviano. It was the worst kept open "secret" out here in Los Angeles -in the same way that enough people know that In N Out is insanely overrated, but won't dare say it- concerning Sterling scumbagness, but yet Mr. Integrity decided to be his head coach anyway, instead of perhaps shining a national spotlight on The Donald pre-Stiviano. Sterling is the wrong man stirring the bad karma soup for the Clippers, but hey, at least it's still happening.

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I like Lance Stephenson to the Hornets. As long as Vonleh isn't a complete bust, they could be a Top 4 team in the East next year. That'd be great if they had a breakout season in their first year as the Hornets.

You're dead to me.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I didn't say that I didn't like it... the animal style fries are AMAZING, and the burgers -no matter how you prefer 'em- objectively taste good. I just feel that there are better burgers to be found out here, and that people overcompensate/get too ridiculous for their In N Out love (much of that sentiment can apply to the Laker Girls as well :p ).

A Chorus of Disapproval http://deadspin.com/joel-embiid-is-really-good-at-twitter-lets-not-ruin-th-1606103122]Joel[/url] Embiid is really good at Twitter

You know that already, but still...

25. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Cavs sign James Jones to a 1-year deal.

Alright, let's go Spurs for the 2015 title! Cavs you can wait a year, just get our boys some playoff experience.