main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Christianity Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Aug 1, 2013.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Existence is bounded in the physical universe we inhabit now. Your consciousness is linked to the brain; there is no soul that continues on to some other universe.

The only things worth believing in are those which are real. Your religion is a fraud, a sham, a fantasy, a lie. As an adult, there is no excuse for continuing to believe in things without evidence.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    No to all.

Eh, some of the best things I believe in I know aren't real, my religion not included as that is real.

3. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Blatant dishonesty, cognitive dissonance and willful ignorance of facts. It must be so awful not living in the real world.

4. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Said every suicide-murderer ever.

Isn't it strange to you that a god would create you, send you away from your "home" into an existence that is "short," "meaningless," and not "worth remembering" (your words, not mine) only to call you back home for all eternity? The pointlessness of it is staggering. These are the incoherent ramblings from the ignorant infancy of our species, and they should have stayed there.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    actually the evidence so far as im aware would seem to indicate that religious people are much happier than irreligious people

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    maik stop persecuting the atheists

Ender Sai and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This thread is simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

8. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    harpooops i'm mildly offended by your insinuation that faith (and my sincerely held beliefs!) is something to laugh at

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Austins, I'm offended by your ugly neckbeard.

Darth Guy and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." ― Bertrand Russell

11. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I mean, if you wanna be that guy.

harpua likes this.
  12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

How sad you assume only suicide murderers live there life with no fear of death.

Not really. My boss sends me on minor errands all the time, my parents sent me on minor errands as a kid, etc... Earth and the natural world was supposed to be perfect, we mucked it up, now God is doing an evac and our job is to try and get as many people on the boats before it's time to shut the whole show down.

I'm sorry my beliefs frighten and anger you so. Yours are simply a mild 'huh, how quaint' to me, they don't anger or threaten me. Feel free to think what you will.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Thing is.... Christianity is not the only religion, and the Christian god is not the only god (if there are gods), so your absolute truth is pretty subjective.

14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes there are other religions and some of those religions claim other gods. I just believe Christianity is the correct one, and yes I have no proof of that and am going strictly on absolute blind faith, just to save time on this line of argument before it goes on to the conclusion we both know it'll end up.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm not arguing... not sure what kind of conclusion you think this will lead to, but I don't really do the, "My god is better than your god," thing. I'm actually agnostic, so I don't know, or really care right now, which god is more "real," or better, or whatever. I'm just saying there are over three thousands gods whose existence have yet to be proven. That's all.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Eh, sorry then. Have heard the 'but other religions say there are other gods' argument hundreds of times and it goes the same way about 95% of the time.
    I wouldn't say it's 'my god is better than your god'. I enjoy religion and mythology, Athena is one of my favorite gods, I don't think she or any of the others are real, I think the Christian God is real. I may not believe in the other gods, but that doesn't mean I'm not rather fond of the idea of them and their history and lore.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It would be hilarious if we all died and it turned out the real God was some little obscure God nobody had ever heard of.

"Oh, hi, guys, I'm Roombabloomba, the wolf-faced fertility god of the now extinct Ramabamaram tribe. It's been really boring ever since the last one of them died out fifteen thousand years ago. Ha ha, common mistake, actually. Nope, it's a wolf face, not a dog face. The afterlife? Uh, yeah, this is pretty much it . . . ha ha, you'd think in fifteen thousand years I'd have fixed the place up a bit, right? I kid, I kid. Nope, definitely not a dog. I know it kind of looks like a husky. But it's a wolf. Any others? Well, I've never seen any, but you're free to look around for 'Jeezus' or whatever. Ha ha, no, definitely a wolf. Please don't touch that."

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Ha, sounds like a great guy to spend the rest of eternity with.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Let me get this straight. You don't believe in all the other gods, but you do believe in the Christian one, despite the fact that there is equal evidence for all of them? Which, is to say, none.

Ancient Greeks once believed in their gods just as strongly as you believe in yours. And yet there is no doubt among modern humans that the Greek gods were fictional. What makes your god different from the Greek ones?

Furthermore, what if Zeus turns out to be the one true god, and therefore all those who worshiped the Christian god are doomed to the Greek version of hell? Hopefully this will show you why Pascal's Wager is a flawed concept.

Since there is no evidence for any gods, the most prudent approach is to not believe in any of them. Disbelief in all gods would seem to me to be a lesser crime than believing in the wrong one.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Poor Roombabloomba. I'm imagining him having to accommodate the billions and billions of deceased, and consequently he's just constantly overworked. Sometimes he accidentally drops the beer tray and sheepishly has to ask for help with the cleaning duties, so Nietzsche goes to help him out, and there's an awkward silence between the two of them. Then Nietzsche opens with "You know I didn't mean you were literally dead" for the eighty millionth time and Roombabloomba has to assure him that really, it's cool, no offense taken.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes.

My God is real.

Well going by Disney's Hercules Hades doesn't seem that bad... seems rather affable for my ruler in the underworld.

Yeah... again... don't need evidence... just faith.

Poor guy, reminds me of Shockwave in the G1 transformer cartoon.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

So, it would probably be more accurate to say your faith is real.

Sarge likes this.
  24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I suppose so.

25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Faith has no effect on whether a thing is real or not.