main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hints at Episode VII's plot in new book "William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Jul 18, 2014.

1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Saw this posted on RFR's Facebook page and think it's worth mentioning. The previous books in this Shakespeare series have concluded with hints at what's in the next chapter. This book came out Jul 1st and is an official Lucas Books release, what do you think? Here is the final page of the ROTJ book...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202420289176115&set=o.493040044072735&type=1
    [​IMG]
    Some of this matches things that have already been rumored...
    "Certain dangers that may sever our strong bonds that held us ever" Han and Leia broken up?
    "Mayhap something compromising..." The Skywalkers connection to Vader compromises them?
    "Even like an Empire Rising..." As noted by the original poster on RFR it is capitalized like a title?
    "Hint of fate or fool's illusion?" Seems like they are intentionally hinting this may pertain to Ep VII.
    Interesting.

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Cool post. Interesting stuff. When did this book come out?

Anyway, it hints at many things we discuss here in the forum. The Empire returns. Our heroes bonds have been somehow severed.

Neat.

3. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Came out July 1st so just recently.

4. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I think the operative words are "like an" preceding Empire Rising. If it were preceded by "the" it would suggest the same regime. Is "Empire Rising" cited in any of the previous Shakespeare installments?

Those first two lines you suggested are intriguing indeed, and something I've suspected would be happening in the ST.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It would be a strange place to drop intentional hints about the new movies, but who knows.

I was looking at those books at the bookstore the other day... pretty funny and clever stuff. I liked reading Shakespeare in school, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so now. These seem to be well written in his style.

Revanfan1, plaidphoenix and Dra--- like this.
  6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Those books are amazing, and the audiobook versions are even funnier. I love that he gives Artoo asides where he points out that he is the only one who really knows what's going and is constantly saving the day while everyone thinks him the fool.

Like Nostradamus, though, I think those closing lines are intentionally vague enough that you could read different things into them.

7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Yeah, Mr. Doescher could easily be guessing just like we are...

8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Good stuff. But if in someway it pertains to VII's story, why is the Rebellion still called a 'Rebellion''? They're not rebelling anymore... Also, the Jedi have Doth Return already. The son of Skywalker successfully destroyed the Sith, as a Jedi. As I said, good stuff. But I wouldn't in no way make that relation.

9. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Yes Jedi Doth Return is the title of the Shakespeare adaption of Return of the Jedi. "Rebellion" could mean our core group of Rebels Han Luke Leia (Chewie, 3PO, R2) face a danger that causes a rift in the characters relationship that breaks them apart since this passage comes at the end of the ROTJ book the Rebel term would still fit.
    The Empire Rising thing really has me thinking, maybe Max VS is playing the second Emperor after all? An Empire needs an Emperor. Hmm.
    "Ears, attend: I know surprises"

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This reminds me, I posted the following somewhere here a while back...

Anakin/Vader: Where is Padme? Is she safe?
    Palpatine: It seems that in your anger you killed her.
    Anakin/Vader: She should have died hereafter;
    There would have been a time for such a word.
    Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.

Darth PJ and Immortiss like this.
  11. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    The bit about the bonds being severed may not be anything to do with Han and Leia. Considering the rumours just won't die about Luke being missing or seperated from the others for years. I'd say if anything, it's much more likely a reference to that.

12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That seems to suggest this is canon?

Either way, the recent date lends credibility to the idea that this may be vaguely suggesting real possibilities for the ST.

Maybe the Rebellion never became more than a Rebellion? Maybe forces in it were split on how to govern and no new Republic was established? Maybe an Empire rising refers to a resurgent Empire. It could refer to some new group as Empire, but that would be a bit confusing given what we usually associate with the term, and the recent news of stormtoopers in the ST.

13. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Here we go again! [face_party]

Why do armored soldiers HAVE to be Imperial?

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I know that a lot of people were expecting a fully functional republic and Jedi order at this time, but the possibility that nothing productive has happened for either endeavour intrigues me even more. Knowing that Leia would be hard pressed in forming a new government, maybe Luke went searching for other Force Borns instead and went into hiding with them so they can be trained, and that the ST will reintroduce him along with his small group when the new crisis calls for him to return.

TheManFromMortis and Dra--- like this.
  15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Here we go again!

Why do armored soldiers NOT HAVE to be Imperial?

D'an likes this.
  16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't go with the 'And they all lived happily ever after...but years later" type story. The celebration of the Empires demise was very much like a gigantic piss up..but then you've got to deal with the hangover afterwards. An Empire without an Emperor is a misnomer. It's a splinter cell derived from the original Empire run by die hard followers of Palpatine and Vader. If this proves to be the case, the groups new leader needs to be truly ruthless and a very bad seed. A character who you're begging to get what's coming to them as the story plays out.

Iron_lord and Dra--- like this.
  17. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I think you're going to be disappointed if you don't think storm troopers are in this movie. Unless Kevin Smith is just trolling the entire Star Wars fan base. Which I doubt he would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Another thought...that severing of bonds because of some "danger" could also be a hint at a major character death perhaps?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  19. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Or the rebellion falls apart. If the rumors are correct, a new republic was not established

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Dra--- like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Things fall apart - the center cannot hold."

Dra--- and my kind of scum like this.
  21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    "Hint of Fate or Fool's Illusion."

No doubt that's a hint for Episode VII. The rest of that was pretty ambiguously written, so it could be the author was just stating the obvious and letting the reader infer whatever they want.

Oh, hell. No doubt we're about to have Shakespeare lectures here on this thread in a few minutes.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Nope. I expect to see armored soldiers that look a lot like Storm Troopers (or Mandalorians). I wouldn't be shocked to see The Empire in the ST, but yes I would be disappointed. The PT left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Here's hoping the ST exceeds expectations.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Do the first two books have similar epilogues hinting at what comes in the next? It might be worth a look to compare.

24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I can't find my copies right now (realizing my bookshelves are far too unorganized...), but I'm almost positive that both had passages at the end where the narrator hints at what is to come next.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013

Yes, apparently so. If you click on the Facebook link someone has posted pics of the pages. But quite hard to make out. Can someone with the books post them here?