main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How long do you think it will be before Disney decides to go into the pre ROTJ era

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darkchrono, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Though the entire EU has technically turned to legends the stuff that will immediately be wiped out by new canon is the post ROTJ EU. The pre-ROTJ EU is still technically safe for head canon purposes (without much in the way of new canon interferring with it) for the time being.

So how long do you think it will be before Disney decides to go into the pre-ROTJ era and start telling stories there and wiping that slate clean as well.

I have a feeling Disney will be completely satisfied with creating their own new universe in the post ROTJ era for at least the next ten to fifteen years. Rebels doesn't really interfere with much previously established EU and after Rebels there will likely be a television series set inbetween Ep VI and VII to give their new characters backstories.

I think even after the ST is complete there is a very good chance Disney will do a fourth trilogy set after the ST. Once that fourth trilogy is finished in my mind is when the urge to start jumping around into previous eras may come about.
    Of course I guess there always will be these standalone films that could jump into those eras before that.

And I guess this thread could go in either lit or here.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Technically?? The denial is strong in this one. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah... moving to Lit.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would assume that anything that was planned for TCW is canon. We might see adaptations (in various forms) of planned TCW episodes.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I dunno when does Tarkin come out

6. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Filoni said the Story Group regards all untold TCW stories as canon.

Which makes it all the more infuriating that it's going to take years to see them take shape, if ever.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

This. [face_laugh] Man every single novel scheduled to come out so far is taking place Pre-ROTJ

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Does the OP mean Pre-ROTS era?

9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Ummm. Yea, I guess the answer to the OP is this September?

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm going to guess 'chrono was talking film/television pre-ROTJ.

Because otherwise, yes, the new canon books will be delving into that timeline very, very soon.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    But the StoryGroup's stated purpose is that the books are now on equal footing with the movies - so whether you believe that or not, it's still a relevant answer to the question.

Force Smuggler and Riv_Shiel like this.
  12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Yes I probably should have said ROTS. Basically I'm referring to all the stuff prior to any of the movies.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I expect it'll just depend what happens in Episode 7. If they reintroduce the Sith, then they'll milk the ancient history market the same as they did last time, but they might keep the survival of the Sith a surprise until Episode 8 or 9 or something, so maybe it'll be a few years first, could go either way.

I'm more hesitant about the idea of another trilogy after the sequels though. In the distant future? Sure, undoubtedly; ways of making money are to Mickey what cheese is to mice. I'm hesitant whether or not they'd rush to do that though, as they might feel it'd oversaturate things since there's never been two Star Wars trilogies run right after each other, so I'm sure they'd wait a few years and stick to spin-offs-- which then might be delving into ancient history and various periods for one-offs.

For the time being, though, I imagine the first few spin-offs in between the sequel films will play it safe and stick to more vanilla subjects like Boba Fett or Darth Vader or whatever else they wanted to focus on for a spin-off. A KOTOR spin-off movie while the sequels are still ongoing might compete with the main episodes too much, and they wouldn't want audiences thinking Revan facing down armies of Sith was way cooler than whatever Luke and Daisy get up to. :p

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    The idea of getting Star Wars one right after the other doesn't bother me at all so I wouldn't mind it if they jumped right into a fourth trilogy soon after the sequel trilogy was completed. I think it's likely what we would have gotten before if Lucas wasn't such an introvert.

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Possibly, though since it wasn't what we ended up getting, doing it now would be quite different for the main saga dynamic compared to the generational gaps we've had for the others.

That's what makes me think they'd rather wait, as either they need to hope that Daisy et al are strong enough actors to lead six films without audiences getting bored, or it means they'd need to cast older versions much sooner than the previous recasting changes... and dunno, maybe, I guess we went from Jake to Hayden after just a few years, but dunno.

I can see them wanting to avoid the "What happened next?" problem hanging for years like has happened with Mark, Ford and Carrie, but... I'm just unsure if they'd want to commit to a full trilogy straight after Episode 9. To compare to the closest recent example: look at Pirates. They seem to sorta want to do a "trilogy" of sorts, but they're not literally making it a trilogy quite as strongly as the first three films, and seem to be much more prepared to stagger releases and take their time. It's been similar with the Marvel films really, where calling films X-Men 2 and stuff was all the rage a decade ago, whereas nowadays they seem to leave their options open a bit more by not explicitly numbering stuff-- which I guess makes it easier to change plans.

But the instant you label a film Episode 10? You're signed up for 2 more, whether it's a success or not. I admit, it doesn't need to work that way, but... people expect trilogies from Star Wars, but dunno, maybe they could get people out of that.

16. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I always liked the idea of them giving names to the various time periods and then they could start over with an Ep. I from a different time period. I admit it would be a little confusing to the casual viewers (which has been pointed out when I brought it up before). But then again all those casual viewers would have to do is pull up a website that would explain it all to them.

Zorrixor likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I like that idea actually. It sounds like it'd make Star Wars more easily approachable.

I mean, if you're young, and have never seen Star Wars before, you're going to be put off by the name "Episode 7" if you're just in a theatre, and just looking down the lists of films they're showing that day for something that catches your eye.

Sure, the number of people who haven't seen the previous films is going to be low, but... the more years pass, the more that must be a problem for some people-- like the Rebels thread is showing, not everyone rushes out and sees stuff like Frozen, so I imagine there's gotta be an increasing number of kids who don't know Star Wars either, as their parents might not like it, so they might not get to watch it at home. This obviously wasn't an issue for the prequels, as they started with Episode 1, so Episode 7 is going to be relying entirely on the brand name, whereas I imagine there must have been kids 15 years ago who just saw something called "Episode 1" and thought "Hey, that looks cool" and didn't have to worry about the number.

18. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Figure they did that once already when the original Star Wars film was deemed massively successful (and so they titled it Ep. IV and gave it the title of A New Hope).

No harm in my opinion now in adding in just above the numeraled episode a time period title.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, back in the 80s when they gave Star Wars a number, it was still the first time anyone had heard of it, so the number was still pretty redundant.

Today though, a kid is going to be aware that Episode 7 isn't the first of these films, so I figure there's a difference compared to back when they saw "Episode 5".

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There are still people that swear up and down that "EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE" showed up in the original release.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    They probably think the Special Edition was the original release. :p

DelRiego and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sadly, no. :p It's people who saw it during the original OT release (but confused the second release of ANH during that run, when the scrolling text was changed).

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How long before we get material about the ancient Sith Wars?

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Which is strange because the Episode IV wasn't added until 1981.

But then I don't remember the order in which I saw the OT (but I'm guessing it was reverse order), so those people probably saw TESB first and then SW in 81.

25. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    In terms of movies: 2016.

I don't think there'll be a rush for episodes X-XII unless Disney cannot summon up sufficient interest in the standalone movies. Guessing the major timeline hopping won't happen until those Han Solo/Boba Fett/whatever films are done.

BigAl6ft6 and Zorrixor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.