main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Christina Chong in episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TelemachosJr, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

No, I don't feel that way at all. I knew more names were going to be released, but I found it absolutely ridiculous that Disney thought it was acceptable to only mention one brand new female role out of seven. They should've seen the backlash coming, especially with social media these days.

Again, the backlash was also the perfect opportunity to expose many fans' views of women and minorities in Star Wars. As ugly as it is, I'm very grateful for that. I hope that motivates Disney to continue diversifying the cast with talented people in future films. I want to see more groups of people having a larger role in the collective mythology, especially Asians. Long overdue. Hopefully not as nerds or martial arts-type characters. Personally, I'd like to see an Asian actor play a Han Solo-type role.

Valairy Scot and Abadacus like this.
  2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well here we have and asian actress. You can't get more minority than this in Hollywood. We don't know how much we will see her on screen but I am positive she will be wonderfull. I really wonder what she is going to play. Good, evil, human, alien, lives, dies, talks, fights? The possibilities are endless.

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    First part, very true.

Second part, unfair.

Lord of the Rings was written in a very different time and based on cultures and myths which favoured the roles of men in stories.

Jackson couldn't, nor would he (it was one of the points that caused him to walk away from the Weinstein's), make one, or more, of the characters a female just for the sake of it.

It would be a dishonour to Tolkien, and the material, to alter characters wily nily like that to as appeased the political correctness mindset, which is already out of control.

Tauriel was probably developed for The Hobbit, due to that same misconception, as in Star Wars, that girls need female characters in order to be interested in a movie or franchise - and he came under a lot of criticism from Tolkien fans for adding a character of his own (not because she was female). However, she is a great character, who storyline does not alter or muddy the original story lines. In fact, it gives it another dimension.

Now, I accept that I could be completely worn. If someone did a scientific study of girl fans and boy fans of Star Wars, but I can only judge it what I see in the very large family I'm a part of.

Some of the girls like My Little Pony. Some like The Transformers and Cobra Commander over the top villainy. My nieces love the Marvel movies, that their are only three action hero women is of no concern to them as long as the movies are done right and the characters done justice. Would they like an Avengers movie with more female Avengers? Yes, but they don't hear the "female" bit just the more Avengers bit. :)

They are in a tizzy at the thoughts of Rebels and the ST. They honestly couldn't give two hoots whether it is an all girl or all boy cast. As long as it is Star Wars.

:)

I've never understood expression like Asian-American, Irish American or African American.

Is isn't actually racist* to distinguish people in that fashion?

In fact, I normally say prejudice but because the word racist is the most commonly used term I fall back into.

I say that the very word - racist - is in fact racist. We are a world of different humanoid species. We are the Human Race. We are all the same.

We can only be racist against a species from another planet - how the aliens are treated in District 9 is racist.

Mistreating our fellow man and woman based on skin colour, religion, etc. is just hate. No fancy turn of phrase should be used to lessen the impact.

It is just hate.

That is my opinion - actually it isn't an opinion, it is fact ;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't agree.

The big cast announcement was to reveal the main cast - Daisy is the only new female member of the main cast.

Lupita and Gwendoline are supporting characters - important characters with significant roles but they are not part of the main cast.

If they were they would have been announced that day too - Christie is part of the phenomenon that is Game of Thrones (no further mention of anything related as I've only started Season 3, thank you) and Nyong'o is an Oscar winner. It would have added a great deal to the frenzy that surrounded it.

There is a significance to how they announced the cast - main, supporting, the kids from the open call.

It wasn't an intentional slight against women, or an over sight on Disney or Lucasfilms part.

There is a purpose to it - they aren't announcing them with the others because they aren't interested in just hyping up the situation by saying we have these cool actresses.

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, she may be no more, nor no less, significant than the guy who was playing Galaga in Avengers :)

Whatever she is doing, fair play to her and I hopes she enjoys it and gets a career boost from it.

It is just fun to jump on even the slightest news and rumour and whip it up - probably out of all proportion :)

Chong's scenes could end up on the cutting room floor before it is finished but we could be the ones who who enshrine her in Star Wars lore forever ;)

SORRY ABOUT THE MULITPLE POSTS - I HAD MEANT TO EDIT TO PASTE ONE INTO THE OTHER

6. Cramdaline

Cramdaline Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2014
    I heard on the grapevine that her characters name is Cheech.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The possibilities truly are endless.

8. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Well lately she does a lot of short but important roles like in Doctor Who and 24. In Legends every face seen in the mos eisley cantina got a short story to him or herself, so I am positive star wars won't forget her. I have fallen in love with Daisy's tweets so I can't really say that Chong is the one I am most interested in, but I am a sucker for asians and she seems confortable with famous sci-fi franchises.

EDIT: A yahoo blog claims she, along with all the confirmed females(Crystal, Lupita, Gwen, Daisy, Leia) will have a speaking role but it seems like an assumption as no source is indicated.

9. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

That was actually a part of the argument. Only one female out of seven for the main cast: How the heck is that lopsided cast acceptable?

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Going to have to look into her stuff.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    She's playing Spock's mother?

12. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Not a chance. That is impossible. Spock's mother is dead.

13. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    The daughter of Bai Ling's senator character from Revenge of The Sith, duh :D

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you pc people are nuts. you're a right-fighter against a non-existent issue. i like how you feel you won your non-existent battle to get more females in sw.

15. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

You what? I don't even understand where this came from, First, only a retard things that the uproar at the cast announcement made any difference other than humiliating all the naysayers. And second, what the F is pc people? People who own a pc?

Anyway, back on topic: Who will Miss Chong be playing?

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    politically correct. i don't think you understand anything i said.

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

That isn't a lopsided cast - they cast according to the characters in the story and screenplay.

You, no doubt, mean there should be more female characters in the main group?

Why?

We haven't got a clue what the story is or who the characters are - you are making the assumption that they created seven new male characters with no other consideration than they just had to be men.

And why make a character female just "because" - that isn't advance any equality cause, in fact it is a hinderance.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    don't waste your time making a valid argument it doesn't matter. people don't even know what they're arguing about.

19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Name calling will get the thread locked. Let's be nice.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Political correctness for the the sake of political correctness is very politically incorrect :p

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

Excuses. Just look to the two previous trilogies. How many of the main cast characters for those films had to be men? Qui-Gon could've been a woman. Or one of the droids. Or Mace. Or Yoda. Or Jar Jar. Or Wedge. Etc. For them, being male wasn't absolutely essential to the story, so it's nonsense to tell me, "Oh, just wait for the story to justify their gender."

One out of seven brand new roles being female for the main cast is grossly lopsided. This is an indication that men will overwhelmingly drive the story.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    waaah!

Hogsquattle likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK... everyone relax and play nice.

24. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

Oh. You don't have anything of substance to add to the discussion. What a surprise.

Whenever a character is created in Star Wars, the default mentality is to make it male. People will argue that this is important to the story, but many or most times it is not, as my post above shows. This is why I'm so grateful for female characters such as the one Christina is rumored to be playing.
    EDIT: I'll try to keep myself reined in.

Abadacus likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    my point is you make it a bigger deal than it is.

Hogsquattle likes this.