main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hints at Episode VII's plot in new book "William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Jul 18, 2014.

1. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I wasn't even aware of these "Shakespearian" adaptations of the OT ... but I quite like the idea. I'm open to the idea that there may be some hints in the text. I suppose we could ask ourselves whether the writer who produced these was given any hints about the ST that might be acceptable, to Lucasfilm and Disney, to craftily drop into the work. It's possible. Probable? I'd err on the side of caution. Intriguing, though. On the other hand, it may be that the writer had no information whatsoever about Episode VII or the ST, but wanted to end on a cryptic note .... perhaps even just for the pleasure of seeing us analyse the text to oblivion in search of nuggets of truth about Episode VII.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    It's highly probable the writer knows absolutely nothing about Episode 7, and is just speculating on a "what if" scenario. That's probably the most likely explanation. And it's vague enough to interpret anyway we want to interpret it :)

3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

And that's precisely what the spoiler forums are all about. ;)

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    For those asking about the endings of the first two...I don't have Empire Striketh Back with me at the moment, but Shakespeare's Star Wars only mentions the future in a brief couplet at the end...

There Let our heroes rest free from attack,
    Till darkness rise and Empire striketh back.

Everything before that is just decribing the medal ceremony.

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001

Yeah, they have been so secretive about Episode VII. I highly doubt they'd tell this random author who's writing an unrelated book about the plot, especially when his book is being released a year and a half before VII. The author obviously knows there is a sequel coming and it will involve some kind of conflict, so it wouldn't be too hard to write a vague ending like that.

So while I don't think the end of this book means anything, I have read all three of the Shakespearean adaptations and they're all hilarious and imaginative. I'd highly recommend you all check them out!

whostheBossk and Claire1976 like this.
  6. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    "Our story endeth, though your heart do burst,
    And shall until the Jedi doth return"
    Is the ending to ESB. So the ROTJ book implies the title of EP 7 may be Rise of the Empire or The Empire Rises something like that. The second makes more sense, the Empire rising from ruin, defeat, etc.
    As to wether or not the author knows, well R2 says he knows "surprises", do I think this guy would just start randomly making guesses? I'm sure all the Story Group members know what's coming. It's hard to say.

Trebor Sabreon and Dra--- like this.
  7. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

It's obviously a reference to the sequel trilogy, but more like a "nudge, nudge. Don't forget that's coming out soon!" The author probably doesn't have any more knowledge than we do, other than the characters last seen in Return of the Jedi are back.

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The author is definitely teasing us, which I respect, but the "hints of fate" are so incredibly vague that it could really mean just about anything.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    What I'd like to know is if the Story Group had any role in producing this book. All the new novels have some opening credit saying the book has been canonized by the SG. If there is anything like that in the book, then it's more likely the SG might have worked with the author on these allusions to what comes next.

Yes, the SG shares plot information when relevant. That's how you keep a single continuity.

Well, who has the book? Any stamps from the SG?

10. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    I have the book, but I for one don't see any such stamps.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks. Then I have great doubt these are meaningful allusions.

:)

Visitant likes this.
  12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
  13. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    EPISODE VII COMETH :D

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Does the Son of Dathomir comic have that stamp?

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That would be a cool place to drop a hint, I must admit. If I were them, I'd think that was one of the best places... kinda out of the way, but could be done in a fun manner.

That is cool that the first letter of each line spells Episode VII Cometh, thanks for pointing that out!

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    What, so our analytical team on here totally missed the fact "Episode VII Cometh" is spelled out in the first letter of each line? I want a refund!

EHT, Squarepants, markdeez and 5 others like this.
  17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It should. Circular Logic? But either way the comic was stated to be canon a while ago. Which is cool since a major event happened in #3. ;)

18. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I haven't even heard there was a a Story Group stamp what does it look like? Anyone have a pic or link? I think Son of Dathomir may have been written prior to there even being a story group?

19. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    To be fair, it's not in iambic pentameter, so it's not canon. ;) The bard has repeatedly said that the EEU (Expanded Elizabethan Universe) stories are not his stories.

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Son of Dathomir is the first published story under the new canon (alongside the short stories in the last three issues of the Insider). I haven't seen any sort of stamp from the story group. This is the first I've heard of it, if there is one.

Immortiss and Circular Logic like this.
  21. surfinbrant

surfinbrant Jedi Grand Master

Mar 31, 2002

Heh. This is a highly legitimate point.

22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    By stamp I mean how the new novels all actually say in their jacket or preface that they have been produced or approved by the SG. Not a literal stamp, but a stamp of approval nonetheless.

There's no question that Son of Dathomir is part of the new canon.

This Shakespeare SW might be considered new canon, but without a mention by the SG somewhere (even via interview or twitter), we can't confirm.

23. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Yah I wouldn't consider it anywhere near canon anymore than Vader's Little Princess, but I don't think it has to be to contain some hints in it. To me the Shakespeare book is a pretty neat place to start dropping hints if that is indeed what happened :)

24. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    So I went right to the source on FB, author Ian Doescher:
    I don't know if I believe him since his hints do line up with our rumors but there you go! :)

25. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Nice one, rezpen. Hmmm, interesting answer there. Is he bluffing? Or are we just reading far too much into everything? :p