main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've seen it used like "damn."

Admiral Volshe and gracesonnet like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I use "fierfek" a lot as a substitute for standard-issue F-bombs, as well as alternating the position of the h and t in the English word for scheisse. ;)

gracesonnet likes this.
  3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Bull Sith.

:p

Padawan4687 likes this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Theodore Hawkwood likes this.
  5. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Karen Traviss' Mandalorian expletives are quite inventive, good rich soldierly cursing.

gracesonnet likes this.
  6. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I definitely have to start using that from now on! :p

TrakNar likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How the smeg those that work?

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I used to say di'kut during bouts of road rage in the car. Really I was going to say something else but I would realize the kids were in the car and change it to the Star Wars Mando swear word. "Watch where you are going you dic...um...you di'kut!"

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    YKYAFFW:

...when you know that "fierfek" isn't a Mandalorian swear, but the Huttese word for "poison."
    ...when you've knowingly used it that way in a fic.
    ...when you invent your own GFFA-style swears and/or acronyms involving said swears (SNAKU—Situation Normal, All Karked Up).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...when you research sleep phenomena, hypnotic induction techniques, meditation techniques, and dreams for a story.
    ...when that story still sits either unfinished or not even started at all.
    ...when you just like to do the research so you can learn new and weird things to impress your friends and family.

11. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Here's one.

...When you proceed your own funfiction as actual canon and look like a complete idiot before your friends and fellow Star Wars Fans. :( Yup happen to me. The good thing everyone now is insisting to finish my fanfiction, which is encouraging. :)

TrakNar likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've done that with an audio adaptation of canon material. The ad libbed lines and additional scenes for the sake of better transitions and for the sake of the listener started to become confused with the actual material, and for a while, I had to keep reminding myself that the stuff we inserted into the script wasn't actually present in the comic we're adapting. :p

Didn't stop us from forming a very solid headcanon, though.

13. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    When you stay up until snooze-o'clock in the morning making just one more edit before posting. I-)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Sounds like Team Rocket has a new scheme up their sleeve. Though I think they used a Drowzee to do something similar before.

15. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    YKYAFFWW...

...coming across a story labeled under the Romance/Angst genre whose main character is Captain Firmus Piett (?!!) leads to this series of reactions:

[​IMG] As in, "Whaaaaaa...??!"

to

[​IMG] "THIS IS GENIUS, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE."

:p

(I kid you not, this is actually a thing.)

It's just a fun reminder to think outside the box and remember that fanfic really has no limits to creativity (well, barring stuff that's irredeemably ridiculous or gross).

Admiral Volshe and Kahara like this.
  16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Ha, yeah. Though there are differences in people's ridiculous/gross-o-meter. Some time ago, someone posted in the Worst Pairings Thread (the home of all pairings unmentionable and usually physically impossible) with the suggestion of Booster Terrik/Ysanne Isard.

I didn't even go through: :eek: [face_plain] o_O

I was just: :D[face_dancing] [face_party]

17. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013

*dies* [face_rofl]

Yeah, that's actually too hilarious to despise. Especially if there were a Wes Janson commentary in there somewhere.

jcgoble3 and Kahara like this.
  18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    YKYAFFW if...

...you spend a significant portion of your time thinking of ways to bend canon for shock value.
    ...you've actually outlined and/or drafted up an AU story (or stories) to follow those twisted rabbits.
    ...you've published any of the above.
    ...you think know that at least some folks out there will hail you as a hero for having done so.

Note: This is all in good fun. ;)

Kahara likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    YFYAFFWW you name one of your houseplants, at least in your own head, after your principal OC. (The plant in question, incidentally, is a maidenhair fern that I moved outside at the beginning of summer and which now seems to be dying... I'm so sad!)

Kahara likes this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    ThreadSketch

I know, right? ;)

If it were someone other than Booster, I'd be all "ouch, well that would end quickly and in praying mantis-like fashion." But somehow I can halfway see to Booster and Iceheart being compatible, in a crack-tastic sort of way. Assuming there was a great deal of unexpected character development on the part of both, and/or it took place in a very peculiar AU. And I still want to see the expression on Corran Horn's face when he finds out. [face_rofl]

21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...your new post gets views and likes but you're still worried that it sucks because you haven't gotten any posts.
    I think this happens a lot in My Little Pony fic. I haven't read any of these stories, just their synopses, and I would still like an extra large bottle of brain bleach, please.

On the flip side, you want to write a story where the one of the major 'ships end up with other people, but you're afraid you'll lose readers.

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  22. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Personally, I generally use likes to let authors know that I enjoyed the post and will comment later. Of course, that can mean a few chapters later. Depends on how fast the writer goes and whether my real life schedule devours me alive (again. Life is pesky that way.:rolleyes:)

Findswoman likes this.
  23. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    And then I get devastated when I find out that somebody else has already done it, in a fantabulous way, so I can't pull it off. :_|:p

I once came across a fic with Wedge/Mara that was...really dark and depressing. But still well-done.

24. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Oh yeah, I understand how pesky life can be. :) It took mine almost ten years to settle to the point where I can write again.

It's partly my own insecurity (I just want to be loved *sniff*) and partly the fact that the last time I was on the boards, there was no "like" button, so you never knew how many people read your story and how many people clicked in and thought it was a steaming pile of bantha poodoo.

Wedge and Mara....huh. There's a couple I would not have come up with.

Kahara likes this.
  25. Vestara_Khai_Skywalker

Vestara_Khai_Skywalker Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2013
    Re:3) (Still her) You actually check out dozens of books on marriage, pregnancy, miscarriage, and parenting, reading about 7000 pages for a story that lasts less than 100.

Guilty is charged.

Kahara likes this.