main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which Star Wars Character Suffered the Most?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Jul 20, 2014.

?

Which Star Wars Character Suffered the Most?

1. Anakin

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Obi-Wan

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Luke

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Leia

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Anakin-born a slave, mother tortured to death and died in his arms, ended up fighting in an awful war, lost his arm, turned to the dark side thinking he could save his wife, in turning, lost everyone and everything he held dear, suffered in pain for the rest of his life, essentially in slavery again.

Obi-Wan-saw his master killed while he stood helpless, was forced to train Anakin when he wasn't ready, watched Anakin suffer at Count Dooku's hands, and was also wounded. Also fought in the Clone Wars, saw his best friend (Anakin) turn evil and destroy everything he cared about and fought all his life for, was forced to horrifically wound said friend, and was helpless as he watched said friend's wife die.

Luke-raised on an awful backwater planet, was orphaned when his aunt and uncle died, lost his childhood friend (Biggs Darklighter), saw his mentor die, learned that the father he looked up to was the ultimate symbol of evil in the galaxy, learned that the mentor he looked up to had lied to him, lost his hand

Leia-stood helpless as her planet, and all the people she loved, were destroyed. Learned that one of the men responsible was her father, could do nothing as Han was tortured and frozen in carbonate. Had to fight in the Rebellion. Had to be Jabba's slave for a while *shivers*.

Vote for who you think suffered the most throughout the saga, and if there's any other characters, let me know, also, if any moderators read this, can you please tell me a better place to repost this thread, because I don't know how well it fits in for the Prequel Trilogy section, thanks in advance.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going with Obi-Wan. Luke and Leia suffered a lot at a young age but I think they had a chance to find happiness after the war was over; Obi-Wan did not get that chance. The last 20-30 years of his life were pretty much nothing but suffering.

Anakin--he went through a lot, but Padme dying and his being burned nearly to death, happened because of choices he made, and for that reason I'm less sympathetic; that and the amount of suffering he caused other people.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    vader hands down.

4. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I would pretty much put my Anakin, Luke, Obi-Wan then Leia.

Anakin - was pretty much a slave his whole life (Well Ok maybe 2/3 of it), as you say lost everyone he held dear to him which considering how loyal he was to his loved ones must have been tough. Was pretty much lied too and used as a tool by the one person who was his closest friend (Meaning Palpatine).

Obi-Wan - Yes he did. He wasn't forced to train him more accepted it due to Qui-Gon but certainly wasn't ready. A lot of people fought in the Clone wars. Yes he did, but again he wasn't forced (Well actually I guess he kind of was) but I see it more as doing his duty.

Luke - Had a very loving upbringing. Did lose a lot of people close to him but not all of them. Learn to accept his father. His mentor didn't lie to him (From a certain point of view).

Leia - A lot of people where helpless when her planet was destroyed. Technically it was the commander bloke not her father. Han also survived (But I agree seeing it must have been painful). A lot of people fought in the Rebellion. Yes she was Jabba's slave (Which must have been disgusting) But it was only for a while (Not for 2/3 of her life).

To be honest I think Anakin suffered to most. Considering his loyalty to his friends and love ones all of which where taken from him (His mother certainly in a cruel way) or betrayed him, as I said above the guy was pretty much a slave his whole life. Luke wasn't far behind but I don't really think he suffered because everything was happening very fast and he didn't really have time to stop and think because there was too much at stake.

I think Obi-Wan and Leia was not really suffering but more just kind of 1 or 2 personal loses (Which yes may have been difficult) But when you compare it to Luke and Anakin who lost pretty much everything and everyone.

5. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I voted for Leia for a few reasons.
    1. It's not shown onscreen but I think we can assume that when she grew up she more or less went straight into politics and into the Rebellion. She wouldn't have had much in the way of a childhood.
    2. Again, it's not shown onscreen but we can assume that she would have friends in the Rebellion who would go on to get killed.
    3. She had to endure torture at the hands of Vader and Tarkin.
    4. She had her home planet destroyed and had to watch as it happened. I can't even imagine what that must've felt like - suffice to say it would be a horrible experience.
    5. She was made a slave to Jabba. Whilst it may have only have been for a brief time, it must've been very humiliating.
    6. According to Legends material, the lions share of the responsibility for holding the New Republic together fell on her shoulders.

Darth Cyn likes this.
  6. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I would say Other... Padme. Of the choices listed, all of them seemingly found peace; even if it was at the every end of their lives. Padme never found peace. She fought all her life for what was right, trying to do the right thing for her planet and the Republic, only to wind up dead as a young wife and new mother when her husband became unimagineably evil and twisted. I could see it argued that her sufferring was more brief than the other choices, but even so, I think it would have been the most intense, and most tragic given that she died when everything she loved and fought for turned against her and claimed her life.

7. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Oh yeah, I forgot the torture part.

8. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Ooh, good point.

9. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Sorry, double post, anyway, I'd have to say, Obi-Wan, I mean, after everything he went through (ROTS) he still hast o live out the rest of his life under the empire, before being killed by his former friend, pretty harsh.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not gonna vote (I think it's kinda morbid), but I'd just like to add Yoda (not saying he suffered the most). Nine hundreds years is a long time, obviously he saw generation after generation of friends go, and then the destruction of the entire Jedi Order.

Still, he seems to understand suffering and how to end it better than anyone. Probably something he learned over centuries of experience.

They all suffered plenty, enough that I don't care to compare them.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't think about Yoda especially in how long he lived and how much death and destruction he saw in that time. Good point.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin followed by Obi-Wan

13. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Jar Jar Binks suffers greatly from near universal disdain.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What about Palpatine? A galaxy to run, a Sith student to train. He was swamped.

Iron_lord and Lord Chazza like this.
  15. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm not one of these gushing Boba fanboys... but going by AOTC, TCW show the junior novels, and especialy ROTJ he had a pretty **** life.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life."

C-3PO

17. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
  18. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    At first I considered that, but, given his long life, he'd have gotten used to most things, with the Jedi Purge probably being the only example I would seriously consider.

19. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Not to mention said student was evil and the galaxy rebelled, so, yeah, he could be harsh sometimes, BUT HE HAD TO BE!!

20. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Crystalia, you just beat me to those images!

Having said that, being digested over a thousand years can't have been all that pleasant.

Pensivia likes this.
  21. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I'd say Obi-wan suffered the most because he had to watch:
    - his master be killed in front of him by Darth Maul.
    -his apprentice injured by Count Dooku.
    -the same apprentice betray and help PalpSidious murder all the Jedi.
    -being forced to fight his own apprentice to the death.
    -watching his apprentice burn to death.
    -spending the last 20 years of his life in exile on Tatooine.
    -be killed by his own apprentice who is now Darth Vader.

Anakin brought most of his suffering on himself because he allowed PalpSidious to trick him into believing that the Jedi are the enemy and the dark side could save Padme which aren't true on both counts. Besides losing his mother, Anakin's life was much better after he was freed from slavery and is not as bad as he makes it out to be.

Luke and Leia's lives were very sheltered until ANH while Yoda has spent 9 centuries watching many jedi die on his watch. Yoda has gotten used to watching generations after generations of Jedi die throughout his time but he never had to go though any real suffering until ROTS. When he sensed the entire Jedi Order being killed at a single moment, he was devastated and after failing to kill PalpSidious, he spent his final days in exile on Dagobah.

22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ^This

23. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Self inflicted suffering or not, it was suffering. So I gotta go with Anakin. Spend half his life a burns covered shell of a man coped up in a mechanical suit, watched everyone he cared about die (or at least he thought he did for a good long time), and there were only about 3 minutes in his life in which he didn't call someone "his Master".

24. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    But Anakin's suffering was 100% preventable. None of this would've happened if he had just done what Yoda told him to do (no matter how insensitive it sounded), ignored the visions, and not listen to any word that came out of PalpSidious' mouth.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, it depends on whether we're talking about actual degree of suffering or how much sympathy any of us have for the characters' suffering.

The former is a little hard to quantify anyway. Ten points for each betrayal, 25 points points for each personal injury, fifty points for each dead friend or family member, an additional fifty points if the friend or family member was murdered, an additional fifty points if the friend or family member died in the character's arms, a hundred points for every decade in isolation.

Negative 500 points if the character brought any of that upon him or herself.